First trip out with the VMP TVS!

mustang john

Established Member
Finally after almost a year now the Cobra is back at the track and running damn good!

I ditched the ported Eaton that had served me so well for so many years in favor of the VMP TVS. Also upgraded the fuel system to a return style and went E85.

Setup consists of a VMP TVS with a Dragon TB, 3.2 upper #4 lower making about 18.5#
Lethal budget return fuel system with 8an feed line, 340 Division X pumps and 80# injectors squirting E85
T56, Ram HD clutch, Billet steel flywheel
Built SRA with 4.10 gears and 28x10.5 stiff wall MT slicks

It made 615/540 on a Mustang dyno but my car has never dynoed high.

Race weight was 3620 tonight with a full tank of E85 and the DA was about 200' so the weather was ideal.

Down to the new best!

sixty 1.45
1/8 et 6.59
1/8 mph 104.75
1/4 et 10.26
1/4 mph 136.2

It was a new PB for me in every category and it has quite a bit left in it!

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
Congrats MJ!

Those are some great numbers. You should be very proud!
I want to be in the VMP club but just picked up a POSI Eaton.
Once VMP comes out with a bigger blower I'm hoping to get a well cared for 2.3 for a good price.:coolman:

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Nice job, John! South Texas had a nice dome of high pressure this weekend...beautiful, dry air. Congrats :beer:

mustang john

Established Member
Nice job, John! South Texas had a nice dome of high pressure this weekend...beautiful, dry air. Congrats :beer:

Yeah it was nice and chilly Saturday night and the DA got down to near sea level towards the end of the night.

I didn't run any ice or anything and I still have to get myself back in the racing groove. Another few trips out and I see some 10.1s and even some 10.ohs in my future!

Its kinda funny, the car only dynoed 615 but the Dragtimes rwhp calculator at my race weight and mph has me over 700rwhp lol.

Last edited:

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Yeah it was nice and chilly Saturday night and the DA got down to near sea level towards the end of the night.

I didn't run any ice or anything and I still have to get myself back in the racing groove. Another few trips out and I see some 10.1s and even some 10.ohs in my future!

Its kinda funny, the car only dynoed 615 but the Dragtimes rwhp calculator at my race weight and mph has me over 700rwhp lol.

You still have all kinds of potential to go lower. Even as good as that air was, it will get better and go negative after a "blue" norther. You were only on a 18.5 psi setup, and there's plenty of room to go 22psi if you choose (maybe that's when the 465s will come in). I think a corrected 615rw on a mustang dyno and that sub 20psi boost is very good. And remember, being at the track in that air is really indicative of an "actual" dyno, not corrected....so add another 25-30 to that 615.

Your 60ft was awesome. And you picked up excellent mph on the back half of that time slip. You'll get 9s very soon :beer:

mustang john

Established Member
Thanks guys it feels good to back out racing and to bust a good number makes it even better.

Jcobra you asked about suspension, its pretty basic.

UPR k member with 14" 175# springs and Lakewood 70/30 struts up front
Built SRA with 4.10 gears, MM weight jacker extreme duty LCAs and Baseline UCAs with Lakewood 50/50 shocks.
The main weight reduction is a Teksid block, K member, Corbeau seats, ABS delete and big and littles of course with 28x10.5 stiff wall MT slicks. I also have a battery relocation. I moved ALOT of weight off the front, about 200# with the block, k member, ABS delete and batt reloacate and damn what a difference it makes in weight transfer.
It also has MM full length subframe connectors and an S&W 8 pt roll bar.

I made 4 passes and cut three 1.45 sixties and one 1.47 sixty on my first pass! lol

The car is in need of an ARB BADLY now! lol

Last edited:

mustang john

Established Member
Congrats on the times, definitely a solid set-up you have. Any plans to put a 3.0 upper on?

Plans are down the road to throw a 6# lower that i already have on it and upgrade the intake and MAF and get some bigger injectors, im still on the stock intake tube, MAF with a Mafia and an old K&N FIPK! lol

Users who are viewing this thread