First timer at the Silver State Classic

Arboc_tvs

Established Member
I'm planning on running the silver state classic this May in my 04 Cobra. Lightly modded with a 2.8 upper, long tubes, mid pipe and cat back, and a safe custom tune. I also have fore grills in the hood and no heat blanket.

I have brand new Nitto 555 315/45/17's in the back and the OEM 9 year old F1's in front. Those F1's have got to go.

I'll be running the event with a target speed of 110 mph, which would mean a min speed of 80 and max of 124.

Before the race I'm going to have fresh oil and filter RP HPS 5W-30.

I also have a Killer Chiller which I have not installed yet.

Questions:

With the Killer Chiller how's my cooling setup?

What else do I need to do to safely set up the car for 90 miles of 80-124 mmph driving?

Any Advice is appreciated, Thanks! :beer:

racebronco2

Established Member
Heat will probably be the worst problem you will have to deal with. The lower the rpms the lower the heat will be. I did some datalogging before and the heat would get to the peak temps right after i shifted into the next gear and then would drop a little and then rise as the rpms rose and then would peak right after a shifted and again the temps would drop etc.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I'm planning on running the silver state classic this May in my 04 Cobra. Lightly modded with a 2.8 upper, long tubes, mid pipe and cat back, and a safe custom tune. I also have fore grills in the hood and no heat blanket.

I have brand new Nitto 555 315/45/17's in the back and the OEM 9 year old F1's in front. Those F1's have got to go.

I'll be running the event with a target speed of 110 mph, which would mean a min speed of 80 and max of 124.

Before the race I'm going to have fresh oil and filter RP HPS 5W-30.

I also have a Killer Chiller which I have not installed yet.

Questions:

With the Killer Chiller how's my cooling setup?

What else do I need to do to safely set up the car for 90 miles of 80-124 mmph driving?

Any Advice is appreciated, Thanks! :beer:

Nitto 555 tires???
Which ones?

Cooling mod threads:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...pen-road-race-registration-opens-jan-3-a.html
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...package-no-longer-available-alternatives.html

Established Member
Silver state

1) Have fun. This is an event, not a race. You will hae to go thru the driving school with Blu. He is a good guy. If he tells you something, listen. It is not as intimidating as it seems so just relax and have fun with every aspect of it. Ely is a great town and the people are car friendly. Don't try to impress them, they already respect what you have brought.

2) Get all new tires. Even new tires fail and can ruin your day.(I know) Also, metal valve stems. Source the best you can buy. Cheap insurance and I think required even at that speed.

3) Respect the narrows and especially the off camber right before they start. It should be marked with a sign/flag. The last left leaving the narrows can bite you if you get ahead of yourself, and the result would fatal.

4) Replace the rear fluid with synthetic at the least, and look into a cooler. It gets hot. Also new syn tranny fluid and fresh brake fluid. Only time you should heat the brakes is in shutdown, but that would be a bad time to loose them. Do you have an in car fire estinguisher? Prepare a fixed container to hold water and some snacks should you not finish and are stuck on course. You could be out there a long time and it sucks when you are.

5) Bank no more than 20 seconds going into the narrows. Being behind sucks, but trying to scrub off a minute and a half in 20 miles sucks more.

6) Have fun.

Arboc_tvs

Established Member
1) Have fun. This is an event, not a race. You will hae to go thru the driving school with Blu. He is a good guy. If he tells you something, listen. It is not as intimidating as it seems so just relax and have fun with every aspect of it. Ely is a great town and the people are car friendly. Don't try to impress them, they already respect what you have brought.

2) Get all new tires. Even new tires fail and can ruin your day.(I know) Also, metal valve stems. Source the best you can buy. Cheap insurance and I think required even at that speed.

3) Respect the narrows and especially the off camber right before they start. It should be marked with a sign/flag. The last left leaving the narrows can bite you if you get ahead of yourself, and the result would fatal.

4) Replace the rear fluid with synthetic at the least, and look into a cooler. It gets hot. Also new syn tranny fluid and fresh brake fluid. Only time you should heat the brakes is in shutdown, but that would be a bad time to loose them. Do you have an in car fire estinguisher? Prepare a fixed container to hold water and some snacks should you not finish and are stuck on course. You could be out there a long time and it sucks when you are.

5) Bank no more than 20 seconds going into the narrows. Being behind sucks, but trying to scrub off a minute and a half in 20 miles sucks more.

6) Have fun.

Awesome, thank you for the pointers. Printing this out. :beer:

Arboc_tvs

Established Member
1 more question for you guys: I've seen some cars with tape on the nose (Assuming to protect the paint).... Recommended?

Jefe

Established Member
Alignment specs should be adjusted for an event like this? We can take your car to Jerry and use their new equipment to dial it in. I can also hook up you with some Eibach springs if you want them for this event

So obviously a passenger is needed?

DRs might be fine but you might look into some road racing tires

Anyone else going? SVTP Meet!

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
Pretty badass!

[youtube_browser]zB48d8A0cFU[/youtube_browser][youtube_browser]sYl9JNAgSh8[/youtube_browser]
[youtube_browser]24WO13jnBqw[/youtube_browser][youtube_browser]8AeNC9GDyYo[/youtube_browser]

Jefe

Established Member
After watching that vid, you might want a cage...

Established Member
Tape

It wont hurt you to tape your hood seams. Blue tape headlights, fog lights and signals to keep them from spreading debris if one is broken.

There are very pronounced grindings in the middle of the road and just off road that can hold and hide dangerous metal(cut your tire kind of metal). Be aware of where these start and stop when you take your course notes so you can try to avoid crossing them any more than necessary. The just off the marked road grindings should only matter if you are being overly agressive in the narrows. No real reason to apex across the line anywhere on the course.
I will try to find a set of my old course notes. The last set I had was destroyed.

Steve

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
NT 555 Extreme's

I would pick up a complete set of all the same tire and instead of those get the Nitto NT05 street radial. Not the NT05-R drag radial.

I love these tires and If I didn't already have road race slicks, These would be a great track tire.:dancenana::bowdown:

Or if you can spring for a complete set of separate track tires Nitto NT01s:rockon::bowdown:

Arboc_tvs

Established Member
Thanks Jimmy, I'm ordering a set of NT05's right now. I'll keep the 555's as spares. The OEM tires are finally going to be off the car. 9 years isn't too bad for a set of tires.... :)

Users who are viewing this thread