First time motorcycle

SHOdown220

Established Member
OP if you really want to get a bike to save fuel keep in mind the extra maintenance, insurance, cost of gear, tire replacement every 8-10k miles etc. Not saying it won't be cheaper in the long run just keep those items in mind.

If those items don't bother you and you keep your ego out of it, the search for a comfortable, cheap, fuel economy bike is answered by several manufactures making 300-400cc motorcycles. If you aren't a huge guy these bikes although not fast, are big enough to handle you. They will run 100+ MPH, get 60-70 mpg on 87 octane and cost around 5-6 grand when new. Meaning you can typically get a lightly used one around your budget. They also typically have much more comfortable ergonomics keeping you in a more upright riding position.

My first bike was a CBR250R back when they first came out, I paid $3995 brand new, it cost me $39 a month for insurance as a new rider, ran 87 octane, would hold me and a passenger just fine, and the best part was you could ring it out at redline doing relatively safe speeds all day long and still get 70 MPG. Bike was lightweight and handled pretty well, easy to flick back and forth.

Like I said if you keep your ego out of it and are ok with getting a slow bike, those small CC "sport" bikes are hard to beat. Plus they look pretty good now, much more like their big brothers than they used to. I honestly miss mine sometimes. If you want to go cruiser you can find something metric to keep cost down but you aren't going to get nearly as good of fuel mileage on any of those. Most of the good cruisers if found in that price range are in pretty bad shape. I vote if you want a good cruiser up you would have to up your budget and get something in the 7-8 range for something decent

hoamskilet

Established Member
OP if you really want to get a bike to save fuel keep in mind the extra maintenance, insurance, cost of gear, tire replacement every 8-10k miles etc. Not saying it won't be cheaper in the long run just keep those items in mind.

If those items don't bother you and you keep your ego out of it, the search for a comfortable, cheap, fuel economy bike is answered by several manufactures making 300-400cc motorcycles. If you aren't a huge guy these bikes although not fast, are big enough to handle you. They will run 100+ MPH, get 60-70 mpg on 87 octane and cost around 5-6 grand when new. Meaning you can typically get a lightly used one around your budget. They also typically have much more comfortable ergonomics keeping you in a more upright riding position.

My first bike was a CBR250R back when they first came out, I paid $3995 brand new, it cost me $39 a month for insurance as a new rider, ran 87 octane, would hold me and a passenger just fine, and the best part was you could ring it out at redline doing relatively safe speeds all day long and still get 70 MPG. Bike was lightweight and handled pretty well, easy to flick back and forth.

Like I said if you keep your ego out of it and are ok with getting a slow bike, those small CC "sport" bikes are hard to beat. Plus they look pretty good now, much more like their big brothers than they used to. I honestly miss mine sometimes. If you want to go cruiser you can find something metric to keep cost down but you aren't going to get nearly as good of fuel mileage on any of those. Most of the good cruisers if found in that price range are in pretty bad shape. I vote if you want a good cruiser up you would have to up your budget and get something in the 7-8 range for something decent
Good info, thanks.

Yeah, I'm not out to become a stain on the pavement. My ass is too old to ride like an idiot . Now when I was in my teens/20's, that would've been a different story lol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I have an 05 F250 6.0....theres not much I'm gonna be able to do to improve mileage that much lol. Would love to get a newer truck that gets better mileage, but I don't really wanna sell a kidney at the moment. Need the truck still to pull our camper and sleds

You'd be surprised. Lots of little driving tricks can add up to several miles per gallon. A big one is idle time. You'd be surprised how many will start a car up and let it idle for 10-15 minutes and then complain about mpg.

Timing red lights so you don't actually have to stop at them. Accelerating moderately. I believe most diesels also benefit from a tune and pickup a few mpg as well. Making sure air pressure in tires is optimal (max sidewall or at least close to it if you can handle it). Timing hills so you aren't maintaining full speed as you get to top of hill and then coasting down the other side (no traffic behind you, of course). Not running 80mph is huge. That's just a short list.

SHOdown220

Established Member
Good info, thanks.

Yeah, I'm not out to become a stain on the pavement. My ass is too old to ride like an idiot . Now when I was in my teens/20's, that would've been a different story lol

Taking the MSF course like you said it is a fantastic first step. I'm honestly surprised something like that isn't required before getting a license. Starting on a small bike is another, they are so forgiving when it comes to learning out to smoothly accelerate and brake. Super sports have tons of power and amazing brakes, which are both awesome but can get you into trouble if you're not careful.

Also one warning, you might be looking at saving gas money now but if you like riding too much there goes all your money as you will be looking to ride all the time and spending big bucks moving to a bigger bike then modifying etc the list goes on! I started on a $4,000 bike, probably have close to 18 in my current bike and looking at buying a 30k bike, ouch!

efurlong

Established Member
Try looking at a 2009 (no catalytic converter) or prior Harley Davidson Sportster 883.
They have a low center of gravity which makes it easy to ride, very reliable, overall a great ride. I would make certain to get a rubber mounted version...not sure what year that started.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Try looking at a 2009 (no catalytic converter) or prior Harley Davidson Sportster 883.
They have a low center of gravity which makes it easy to ride, very reliable, overall a great ride. I would make certain to get a rubber mounted version...not sure what year that started.

I don’t know that he can find an 883 for three grand. A decent one anyway.

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
My first bike was a 05 1200 Sportster. Got good mileage, quick enough to have fun with, was dead reliable, and pretty comfortable. Getting an 883 increases the mileage, decreases the quickness some, but will probably be more expensive up front than the low displacement sport bikes.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
With the way people are texting and driving, I'm staying on 4 wheels.
Why not a Fiesta, Fiat, Mini etc?

Tezz500

Established Member

I feel like OP might be using fuel mileage as an excuse to the Ol Lady so he can get a bike lol.

Which is fine… but I would start low with something cheap and not too much power till you’re more confident.

What that’s gonna be in this market I have no clue…

hoamskilet

Established Member
I dont want a shit box car sitting in the driveway. I've got room in the garage for a bike, it'll get better gas mileage, and at least there will be a little bit of fun to go along with it. For the money I'm looking to spend, any car is going to be a complete piece of crap

Tezz500

Established Member
I dont want a shit box car sitting in the driveway. I've got room in the garage for a bike, it'll get better gas mileage, and at least there will be a little bit of fun to go along with it. For the money I'm looking to spend, any car is going to be a complete piece of crap

Honestly so is just about any bike LOL.

Adower

Established Member
If you're going to be riding for several hours straight I wouldn't get a race replica sport bike. The ergonomics are brutal. Get something with a upright seating position.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member

At least you can drive the car in the rain, sleet, and snow. Looks like you are in Illinois.

Tezz500

Established Member
At least you can drive the car in the rain, sleet, and snow. Looks like you are in Illinois.

I think he just wants a bike… Fuel Mileage is just the excuse lol.

I just don’t want to recommend something in that price range. I’m not familiar with the small foreign bikes that would fit his initial comments…

He could however get a really nice cruiser for a decent price but not 3Grand…

SHOdown220

Established Member

They didn't put cats on sportsters until the 2014 model year and even then they are in the mufflers so a set of slip ons and they are gone. Not that a 14 is gonna fit in his budget anyways though. I will agree on the reliability, those 883s and 1200s are simple and dead reliable. Sound great too. 2004 was the first year of rubber mounting.

efurlong

Established Member
I just looked at CL in IL. Saw a few really nice sportsters - one with under 3k miles for 6k.
Others for 4k...maybe op could up his range a little & get something really nice. A rubber mounted sportster 5 speed is a great bike.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
If you just want to save fuel buy a Civic. If you want learn to ride and save gas I would look at a Triumph Bonneville or Sportster. Both are upright bikes with plenty of power and great balance.

bosscj

Established Member
Premium Member
I grew up on dirt bikes. My first road bike was a kawasaki klr650. Good everyday bike. Great adventure bike. Rock solid reliability.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread