First Time Dyno. What should I have made? What next?

svtioshua

Established Member
First post but I feel.. Lost?

I recently got a Cobra a few months ago and to my surprise, completely stock. Right off the bat, we changed Oil, Trans oil, and Blower oil. Had the funds to mod her up a little as well (appearance mostly).

I wasn't sure what the car was making before my tune but I knew I wanted to get her tuned and the only mods I did in prep for my tune were:

2.70 upper with 100mm Steeda Snub
JLT intake (MPN# RAI2-FMC-0304)
Straight pipe (Cat/Muff delete)

And that's it. We did not get a chance to port the Eaton. (We did at one point shut the silencer holes.)

In case the photo does not show up.. I ended up making:
Max Power = 418.16 at Engine RPM = 5.42
Max Torque = 481.96 at Engine RPM = 3.27
Max Wideband = 12.82 at Engine RPM = 2.84
Max MAP Sensor = 15.96 at Engine RPM = 4.24

Do these numbers sound normal? What should I be looking forward to next to make more gains? I feel stuck and not sure where to go next.. I wish we had got the chance to port the blower but some day I will. I'd love a Kenne within the next year or 2. But right now I am happy enjoying what I have now but I just don't feel like I have the most out of her yet if that makes sense.

TIA..
dynotune_IMG_5968.jpg

Last edited:

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
First post but I feel.. Lost?

I recently got a Cobra a few months ago and to my surprise, completely stock. Right off the bat, we changed Oil, Trans oil, and Blower oil. Had the funds to mod her up a little as well (appearance mostly).

I wasn't sure what the car was making before my tune but I knew I wanted to get her tuned and the only mods I did in prep for my tune were:

2.70 upper with 100mm Steeda Snub
JLT intake (MPN# RAI2-FMC-0304)
Straight pipe (Cat/Muff delete)

And that's it. We did not get a chance to port the Eaton. (We did at one point shut the silencer holes.)

In case the photo does not show up.. I ended up making:
Max Power = 418.16 at Engine RPM = 5.42
Max Torque = 481.96 at Engine RPM = 3.27
Max Wideband = 12.82 at Engine RPM = 2.84
Max MAP Sensor = 15.96 at Engine RPM = 4.24

Do these numbers sound normal? What should I be looking forward to next to make more gains? I feel stuck and not sure where to go next.. I wish we had got the chance to port the blower but some day I will. I'd love a Kenne within the next year or 2. But right now I am happy enjoying what I have now but I just don't feel like I have the most out of her yet if that makes sense.

TIA..
View attachment 1839806
Looks about right. They advertise 390hp at the crank stock, you didn't do to much now you're at 420 wheel hp. I would say for a tune, pulley, and cat delete that pretty good.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
They're lower than normal for those mods. The DynoJet pull was using STD smoothing, so the numbers would be 4-5% higher than SAE. That would make the WHP around 400 with SAE smoothing. Factory WHP was 365-370 on average.

My first setup was a 2.90 upper, Accufab TB, catback (with cats), 4-piece idler set, and a conservative tune. That setup made 457whp and 480wtq (SAE smoothing).

@SVTinMO, what octane fuel are you using?

svtioshua

Established Member
I'm sure other will chime in here that know more than me but with everything ive read on here intake, exhaust, and 2.70 pulley should get you 450-475rwhp.
Not gonna lie, I was hoping for at least 430+.. A little let down for what I got but others seem to think it's not bad!

svtioshua

Established Member
Looks about right. They advertise 390hp at the crank stock, you didn't do to much now you're at 420 wheel hp. I would say for a tune, pulley, and cat delete that pretty good.
Thanks for the input, a few other people I know agree. I think I just had high hopes. Now I am looking at where to go from here.. What next to make more power..

svtioshua

Established Member
They're lower than normal for those mods. The DynoJet pull was using STD smoothing, so the numbers would be 4-5% higher than SAE. That would make the WHP around 400 with SAE smoothing. Factory WHP was 365-370 on average.

My first setup was a 2.90 upper, Accufab TB, catback (with cats), 4-piece idler set, and a conservative tune. That setup made 457whp and 480wtq (SAE smoothing).

@SVTinMO, what octane fuel are you using?
So would you say I am making less than the 418hp posted? My apologies, my first tune, first time dealing with such. Just trying to understand. We really just went in head-first with the mods (listed above) and were ready to see what we were gonna make.

I am running on your basic Premium at whatever gas pump. What mod/bolt on should I expect next for better results? I am a little let down by those numbers but I was going in with high hopes tbh.

svtioshua

Established Member
You didn't mention a tune. It sounds like you need one. 12.5 is way too lean under boost.
Yeah we did get the car tuned after we installed all the mods (listed above). I filled out the dyno sheet with every mod and comment I could think of for what I wanted out of the tune.

Lean you say?

svtioshua

Established Member
First thing I saw as well. Any idea what kind of timing it's running? Was this with or without the 2.7?
Not sure what kind of timing it's running tbh. This was with the 2.7.

The tune was done with all the mods listed above.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I tune for 11.5 under boost. Some say anything under 12 is ok. I aim for the safe side though. The whole curve needs some tweaking IMO.

And you need to find out how much timing is commanded. If you're not detonating at that lean of an A/F then it probably doesn't have much timing. Which will kill power.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
IMG_6473.jpeg
I posted this pic in another thread just a few days ago. On a dynojet using SAE smoothing, I made 471/484 with a stock Eaton, 2.8 pulley, JLT intake and off road exhaust. 93 octane. I believe my total timing was around 19degrees. Had the stock IAT settings as well to remove timing. AFR was 11.5 steady with stock pumps and a boost a pump.

I think your tune probably needs work.

svtioshua

Established Member
I tune for 11.5 under boost. Some say anything under 12 is ok. I aim for the safe side though. The whole curve needs some tweaking IMO.

And you need to find out how much timing is commanded. If you're not detonating at that lean of an A/F then it probably doesn't have much timing. Which will kill power.
Thank you for that input.. Not to knock the place I went to (they were the first place to tell me they do American cars) but I walked in and they just handed me the keys with no explanations. Gave me my sheet and that was it.

I will do my research and figure out the timing/lean issue. Like I said, whatever this car has been through before, I am not sure. We got her, added the mods, and then went for a tune.

svtioshua

Established Member
View attachment 1839851I posted this pic in another thread just a few days ago. On a dynojet using SAE smoothing, I made 471/484 with a stock Eaton, 2.8 pulley, JLT intake and off road exhaust. 93 octane. I believe my total timing was around 19degrees. Had the stock IAT settings as well to remove timing.

I think your tune probably needs work.
**Sheds tear. Beautiful.

See this is lovely. I had high hopes. I will say that some people suggested a tune from somewhere else and I will def. give that a shot. Just timing on my plate right now. I am in WA but will be heading to GA in a week before I get stationed in TX. I know I will be in good hands down in TX! Thank you for the input. I will need to figure out my timing issue it sounds like.

svtioshua

Established Member
Do you know what software they used to tune the car?
Not at all! They didn't explain anything really. The most I did was fill out a sheet with all my mods. I go for pick up and they handed me my dyno sheet and keys, and that was it. In and out.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Sounds more like they just dynoed it then.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. You paid them money so they should give you all the info you want about your car. At the very least you need to know which software they used, if they used anything. If they used SCT you should have gotten a hand held device with the tune loaded on.

Beyond that I'd want to know the timing, how close the MAF is to being pegged, and duty cycle of the fuel pumps and injectors.

Did they give you an invoice?

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
Thanks for the input, a few other people I know agree. I think I just had high hopes. Now I am looking at where to go from here.. What next to make more power..
Swap out the supercharger head unit to Vmp or Whipple, that's about a $3000 upgrade. Go E85, with that you need bigger injectors, pumps, and lines. That is about $2000.

svtioshua

Established Member
Sounds more like they just dynoed it then.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. You paid them money so they should give you all the info you want about your car. At the very least you need to know which software they used, if they used anything. If they used SCT you should have gotten a hand held device with the tune loaded on.

Beyond that I'd want to know the timing, how close the MAF is to being pegged, and duty cycle of the fuel pumps and injectors.

Did they give you an invoice?
As a learning experience, I agree for the next tune. I shouldn't have expected them to give me all the details on what was done. I was kinda like "oh.. alright then" and then walked out.

They did give me an invoice. I just cut out the personal info above but this was all that was stated.

Attachments

• IMG_6166.jpg
    IMG_6166.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 46

Users who are viewing this thread