first time at the track with the cobra yesterday

badjuicedgt

Established Member
I was very disappointed at first we went to Norwalk yesterday for super summit, it was free to get in and free to run. I knew I was going to have tire issues and was expecting it but what I wasn't expecting was an unprepped track. I talked to 2 other guys with cobras one car was close to stock the other had dynode almost the same as my car. none of us could get our cars to hook my car has dynode 605 the other guys car has dynode 620. None of us could get out of the 12s, my car trapped 120 the first run 119 the second and 125 the 3rd run and the fastest pass was a 12.26 my reaction was .498 on a .500 light and 60 foot was don't laugh to hard 2.30. First gear if I even tried to get on the car would just spin second gear was close to first and on the 119 mph pass I almost had to change my shorts when I shifted to 3rd the car broke loose and had started to turn toward the wall. So the guy with about the same horse as me was trapping in the mid 120s also and his fastest pass was in the upper 12s and has run already in the low 11s with the car. There were guys there with tubbed cars and after the first pass were loading up because the track was unprepped, the only high light of the day was well there were 2 they were giving away gift cards to summit and I won one for 100 bucks and second you could take people down the track with you and they let my 9 year old son ride down the track with me. My wife was freaking out after she saw on the run where the car boke loose down the track, she was worried I would have the same problem with him in the car but no issues other than coming off the line. He loved going down the track with me and now wants to go every time.

So we went there to just kind of get a feel for the car before going to the nmra race in Columbus next weekend, but I got nothing other than the car will not hook on an unpreped track. Oh and I tried 2 different set of tires first were nitto 555s that were 295/45/18 and the second were 555r that were on stock rims and were 275/40/17 and both acted the same way. The guy with the other cobra was running 555rs on 10.5 repop stock wheels. So what do I do try and find a set of regular slick for next weekend or take a shot in the dark and try these tires again. Both the other guy with the cobra and myself said we could get our cars to hook easier on the street than at the track yesterday. We were going to go back today and try again but I decided not to because I didn't want to break the car before next weekend. Any suggestions on what to do about tires, I have never really been a fan of drag radials since I have always ran regular et drags on all my other cars. Oh and I tried different air pressure in the tires started with the one set at 24lbs and went down to 20 the on the 555r I had those at 22lbs.

Rambro

Established Member
I'd try to run bias ply's fronts and rears at the track. You're lucky that the 555r's just spun and didn't hop.

badjuicedgt

Established Member
Oh it hopped more than a rabbit trying get out of the street on one run, my wife could see the wheel hop like crazy. The other guy had the same problem, I wish they would have said the track wasn't going to be prepped but I guess when you get in for free and run as many times as you want for free cant really expect much.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
well at least the price was right! on the irs slicks are great because they will really plant and are much easier on the irs. or try out a real 275/40/17 drag radial (like hoosier or m/t) and air it down... that'll drop your 60s drastically. it is good that you have a diff brace - that should save your cover, but if it wheelhops try to let out of it or you could snap a halfshaft. and very cool that your son was able to ride with you and enjoyed it! best of luck

badjuicedgt

Established Member
If I go to 15 inch welds like I have wanted to what and how much grinding do I need to do, I have always run 15 inch slicks on all my other cars and even on my turbo car it hooked fine. My only hold back on the cobra was what and how much grinding needs done, since I can go to 26x10 slicks and probably get the car to hook anywhere,oh and this is the first car I have run with irs everything else has been solid axle and the is not an option for this car I don't want to go that route. If any one has any pics of what they had to grind to put 15s on the car it would be a great help.

holiks03cobra

Established Member
I bought a set of 16x10 rims from Diamond Racing for the track. I run a 28" slick on them. I had to roll my fenders. As far as drag radials at the track, I think as long as you know what you're doing you shouldn't have issues with breaking halfshafts. My best 60' on a DR(315/35/17 nitto nt05) was 1.63

jrichber

browser
Established Member
I had mostly the same experience on a prepped track. With my 305 555r's my best 60 foot was 2.3 with 118 mph. Only got 12.8. Not sure what else to try.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Just get slicks. Even on a well prepped track your not gonna hook for crap on 17" Nitto 555Rs.

This is great advice if you're planning on making a few return trips to the track over the summer. Andy, is that your plan? You could easily get hooked on track time, especially if you have friend to compete with and are able to get a fair amount of runs in each time.

badjuicedgt

Established Member
Well we already have hotels booked for 7 different races in Ohio Michigan Indiana and Illinois not including when we go to test and tune night last year was way more we ran 3 out of 4weeks a month all summer. I also had a fox with twin turbos we had built just for the track 4 years ago when I had my nitrous car we ran every weekend but it was also a 9 sec car and was very consistent. The cobra is a whole different animal in its self with the irs not to mention shifting gears makes it very hard to be consistent but until I pull the trigger and build another trailer queen which the next one will be tube chassis pro mod or a rail I'll just keep running the cobra. So I may as well break down and just buy a track set of wheels and tires.

Users who are viewing this thread