First time at the track. Disappointed!

mcallister

Established Member
Well this was my first time at the track and I'm extremely disappointed to say the least. Making 686hp 625tq ran a best of 12.0 @ 126 but can't find that slip. Here's my next best.

usu9egy7.jpg

svt4me38

BOWENZMOTORSPORTS.COM
Established Member
Everything takes time! Practice and seat time you will shave a lot off! What rear tires? 2.2 60ft I'd say street tires? That's a lot of power and you need a real tire out back if you want to hook.

mcallister

Established Member
I've got 315/30-18 hoosier drag radials, qa1 adjustable rear shocks, Lakewood 70/30 fronts. The track was very slick. I can hook 100 times better on the street.

testorossa1989

Established Member
Never heard of somebody who got an awesome pass their first time at the track. Better times come with more seat time. 12sec isnt bad for your first time. Ive seen guys run 13sec with 600hp

Crushinator

Established Member
I remember years ago watching a 700 horsepower Viper running 13's at 120+ MPH. It was a track rental so we could run as much as we wanted all day. It took him about 30 passes but he finally got it right as was in the low 11's by the end of the day. So don't sweat it. Just practice and the times will come down.

mcallister

Established Member
I'm kind of hoping the track conditions had a little something to do with it, I couldn't really get into boost without blowing the tires off. It was only about 55 degrees out. I'll go back on a little warmer day and see what I can do.

19935.slow

Established Member
That trip speed will put you at a low 11 or a high 10. Your trap will go up significantly when your 60' time drops.

mustang john

Established Member
With near 700rwhp you should be trapping 10mph higher than you are and should be in the high 10s with ease and even quicker if you get that sixty down.

zacmustang03

Established Member
Ya your car is capable of much faster times . 2.2 sixty is pretty terrible, for everything gained in the sixty foot it doubles at the end as a rule of thumb. So that pass with a 1.7 even would of been an 11.2 . Practice makes permanent , so be sure to practice often and correct, your times will improve drastically.

mcallister

Established Member
I don't see how the trap would drop with a better 60' and traction.i was spinning 3rd gear. The dyno I got tuned at was performance dyno in Loudon nh. It was a dyno day with multiple other cobras making the power they should with the mods they had.

Mr Patience

Canadian Eh!
Established Member
Pete does a great job tuning, I'm sure there is no issue with the numbers. That being said....don't expect great times with your combo....it is not a track car or set up for the track to produce good ET's with that HP. Its easy to make the HP....the hard part is making it "work". Drive it and enjoy it :beer:

mustang john

Established Member
The dude just needs some seat time... 700rwhp is a handfull at the track. MPH will go up with seat time and ETs will drop, i have a recent example of that too.

A freind went to the track in a warmed over fox body 5.0, 5spd. His first pass he went all fast and furious and blew the tires off in first, second and went into third 100ft out...and ran a 17.0 @ 90 with a 2.6 sixty it was pretty funny lol.

A bit of coaching from me and within two passes he was down to 15.0 @ 98 with a 2.4 sixty. Shaved 2 seconds and picked up 8mph..

Next round of coaching and five more passes had him with a best of 14.0 @ 102 with a 2.2 sixty. Shaved another second and found 4 more mph.

All these gains were from nothing more than practice and seat time and a bit of coaching on my part.

Dont change a thing, get some seat time and learn the car, you times WILL drop without ANY changes to the car.

Last edited:

mustang john

Established Member
You guys are all missing the biggest factor here... The driver. 700rwhp or not this was his first trip to the track. Everything will improve with practice, all the usual rules go out the window with a very inexperenced driver. See my example i posted above.

Seat time, just get some seat time...

Users who are viewing this thread