First official Porsche 911 (991) pictures. The classic is back.

Shifty Powers

The Shifty Mobile
Established Member
for the street it doesnt really matter and 100x as many porsches roam the streets than do the track. you see probably more 911s than vettes out here in socal. they make excellent daily drivers.

they probably dont need to redesign anything. the 911s sell like crazy as it is. it seems like the only people complaining are the people who dont buy them lol.

im sure some people have left 911 for other cars due to the layout but it seems like more people are coming than going. cost is probably more of a factor than layout.

I agree, and I agree on a lot of things said in this thread. Wish I had a GT2 or GT3 thats for damn sure. Watching those things go around the track is friggin awesome. Ide also like a Porshe Cup car, they sound siccckkkk..:rockon:

Steve as to what you said. People seem to bitch about not changing the styling of it much. But it looks good, has heritage, and it works! So as it seems, Porshe is quite smart. They havnt changed shit, and because of it. Can rake it more and more money.
I would also like to point out, that on track days. Close to 70% of the Porshes on the track, are leases. But thats a different story.

+1 on being a Porshe designer

tristateZ28Lt1

Established Member
While you can always argue design because of personal opinions, the technology that will be in this car cannot. Porsche for the first time ever changed the wheelbase and made the car lighter as well. Then there's the 7 speed manual, the revised pdk, the new interior, etc., etc. I'm pretty sure this car will be incredible. And just FYI Porsche hasn't won the overall Le Mans win because they have not raced in LMP1 since 1999. Audi is doing the racing in that class. in LMP2 and the GT classes Porsche is hugely competitive and still wins races.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
i didn't say it was the best, i said it's not "bad". all 3 layouts have advantages and disadvantages, with mid-engine seemingly balancing the +s and -s out the best in performance applications. doesn't mean the other 2 'suck' or are 'bad'.

to look at the inverse of your statement, porsche aren't getting rid of the layout because it doesn't pose any significant disadvantages to performance. the corvette certainly keeps the front engine layout(IMO, the worst of the 3) because of heritage and nothing more, but people don't shit on it like they do the 911. i chalk that up to ignorance though.

ridiculous discussion, porsche's halos cars have always been mid-engine. there's no need to make the 911 mid-engine, especially when they already produce the mid-engine boxster, mid-engine cayman, and will be producing the mid-engine 918 supercar.
and i'm not even gonna mention front engine, because that would be beyond absurd. that, and the front engine porsche 928 will be making a return in the next year or two, to go along with the front engine panamera.

simply put, porsche couldn't change the 911s rear-engine layout even if they wanted to, there is simply no room for a front or mid-engine 911 in the lineup.

I didn't say I agreed with the notion of changing the 911...based on the current discussion it is interesting to read the supportive arguments for not changing the layout in that thread. As I stated above the Cayman is the potential game-changer in the less-than-hypercar market that the 918 will serve. I would love to see them lose the 911 look in the Cayman and do something visually unique.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
I didn't say I agreed with the notion of changing the 911...based on the current discussion it is interesting to read the supportive arguments for not changing the layout in that thread. As I stated above the Cayman is the potential game-changer in the less-than-hypercar market that the 918 will serve. I would love to see them lose the 911 look in the Cayman and do something visually unique.
never said you did, just thought i'd comment on the discussion(can't help myself:lol1:).

6.0GTO

Established Member
It makes me wonder how anyone can come to the conclusion that the engine placement puts the 911 design in some sort of comprimising position compared to other setups. The GT2 RS is way up on Ring times. I understand Ring times accuracy should be questioned but to question the 2RS is at some disadvantage is laughable.

If it is at a disadvantage the other manufactures better hope Stuttgart does'nt pull their head out of their *** and "get it right" If the 911 is such a poor effort becuase they refuse a legacy design change I am wondering what Ford and GM's outstanding efforts are becuase I sure don't see them being superior to Porsche's. Bring back an updated version of the GT1 Evolution and that should shut everone up.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I am wondering what Ford and GM's outstanding efforts are becuase I sure don't see them being superior to Porsche's.

Actually, the ZR1 destroys every Porsche on the 'Ring except for one time posted by a GT2RS. It beats the latest time posted by one though. I'd say that's not bad for a front engine car at half the price of admission.

6.0GTO

Established Member
Actually, the ZR1 destroys every Porsche on the 'Ring except for one time posted by a GT2RS. It beats the latest time posted by one though. I'd say that's not bad for a front engine car at half the price of admission.

Good point with the ZR1. My main point was to refute the engine placement being such a disadvantage. Apparently it is not. The ZR1 is a great machine that most any "car enthusiast" would like to own. If I had the choice I would choose the GT2 RS over it though. Yes it is substantially more then the Vette but it is not like you don't get anything for the extra money.

The ZR1 has a top of the line drivetrain and suspension. Much of the rest of the car is bargin basement. Everything on the Porsche is high level stuff which does cost more. Each manufacture just chose a different path and as the Ford guys love to bring up when comparing to LS motors it is doing it with a 3.8 liters.

Great point with the ZR1 though, I hope they keep improving on it! Personally the car I root for in ALMS.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There's not one thing that I don't love about this car. The interior is gorgeous. One of the nicest I've ever seen. That is one fine car there. If only I could afford one. :)

Users who are viewing this thread