First official Porsche 911 (991) pictures. The classic is back.

tristateZ28Lt1

Established Member
Here it is finally, after millions of spy shots.

These appear to be the first photos of the 2012 Porsche 911 (Codename: 991), the new, 400-hp generation of Porsche's famous ass-engined sports car.
These photos, if they're real, show another gentle generational redesign, incorporating a similar ovular headlight design as the outgoing 997 with a more dramatic LED foglight package extending out beyond the Cayenne-esque grille openings, compete with LED turn signals similar to what we'd expect to find on an Audi.

In profile the car looks similar to the previous generations, carrying over the same big rear that makes the Porsche 911 iconic and different, though this time it's 2.5 inches longer. Speaking of the back-end, the 911 now has an extremely narrow slit of a taillamp wrapping around the back-end of the car.

Most dramatically, the interior finally catches up to the rest of the Porsche lineup with the long, raked center tunnel design launched on the Panamera. The multi-gauge cluster that's a hallmark of the 911 remains intact.

As we previously reported, the Carrera model launches with the 3.4-liter boxer-six it shares with the Boxster S, good for 350 horsepower. The new Carrera S, pictured in these photos, now has 400 horsepower from its 3.8-liter six. A hybrid version is on the way, but isn't pictured.

imagepngg.jpg

image2png.jpg

image3png.jpg

image4png.jpg

image5png.jpg

image6png.jpg

image7png.jpg

CalcVictim

Resident douchenozzle
Established Member
That interior looks like a nice place to be, but for the same coin I would be driving a GT-R.

TAF

Trilogy Twin Screwed #004
Established Member
the rear seats on these cars have always cracked me up :)

Same way the "rear seats" of a Mustang cracks me up...:shrug:

If you don't appreciate the heritage of a Porsche 911...you have no business on a car forum...:nono:

In my humble opinion...

cmsnake

Established Member
Gay as always. How can they keep introducing a *new* design? Interior layout hasnt changed in decades either it seems.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
No need to screw up perfection really. The 911 is a classic look and doesn't need a total "refresh". Some car companies go to great lengths to screw up a good design once they have one... all in the name of something "new".

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
iirc they're lengthening it to make room for the upcoming hybrid motor, which has the porsche nuts in a really frenzy, again. lol.

No need to screw up perfection really. The 911 is a classic look and doesn't need a total "refresh". Some car companies go to great lengths to screw up a good design once they have one... all in the name of something "new".

this. a continual sales success for what, 50 years now?

easily my favorite car ive ever driven to date. :dancenana:

one day, id love to own a turbo :burnout:

CalcVictim

Resident douchenozzle
Established Member

It's a matter of opinion, Porsche goes to great lengths to make the 911 fast and competitive when in reality having the engine so far back is a bad thing. I do understand that a 911 will always be a 911 and every iteration is evolutionary but Porsche puts more effort into keeping it's heritage alive then building the best car they can.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
It's a matter of opinion, Porsche goes to great lengths to make the 911 fast and competitive when in reality having the engine so far back is a bad thing. I do understand that a 911 will always be a 911 and every iteration is evolutionary but Porsche puts more effort into keeping it's heritage alive then building the best car they can.

which is why they made the carrera Gt. and then you have the cayman/boxster for those folks who dont like the rear engine design.

im not the biggest fan of it. ive felt and seen the rear end come around on a 911 which is why id prefer the awd version.

a lot of people agree that the rear engine is a terrible design but porsche does have a looooong history of winning in various racing circuits and theyre one of the most popular track day vehicles.... and a car that other companies often use as a benchmark to design their own sports cars against...

BADD281

Because Race Car
Established Member
One things if for sure, there isn't an issue for Porsche owners feeling crappy about the newest model coming out when they on the older one since they all look pretty much the same. The rear on this one looks nice but same old beetle front end. Good for Porsche for keeping the heritage, maybe some day they will build a better car.

CalcVictim

Resident douchenozzle
Established Member
which is why they made the carrera Gt. and then you have the cayman/boxster for those folks who dont like the rear engine design.

im not the biggest fan of it. ive felt and seen the rear end come around on a 911 which is why id prefer the awd version.

a lot of people agree that the rear engine is a terrible design but porsche does have a looooong history of winning in various racing circuits and theyre one of the most popular track day vehicles.... and a car that other companies often use as a benchmark to design their own sports cars against...

All the cars mentioned are just side models, Porsche=911. Then again that could be the exact reason why the 911 will not change.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member

Respectfully...having the engine so far back is a bad thing??? I guess theoretically, yes, but do you know how many sports car races Porsche has won with that really bad thing?? The 911 series has a near perfect 50/50 weight balance...the engine is so relatively light the format works quite well...to say the least.

If Porsche wants to do something really new and interesting they should take the mid-engined Cayman to a new level of design. I think it has a lot of potential...but looks too much like the 911 in styling and doesn't quite hack it. Edgier would be real nice. I think Porsche is afraid of creating a new monster though that will put holes in their 911 sales and seem to happy to keep the Cayman as a "baby 911". Of course, then their is the new 918, which is very sweet indeed. Mid-engined beauty with design cues from the old 904. Gotta love Porsches.

Users who are viewing this thread