First AR! Good brand? Good deal?

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
This. I nabbed some ridiculous deals on BF on 2014- we're talking up to 60% off actual prices.

The DB15 deal isn't terrible, but you can definitely get better.

gun.deals | Guns and Ammo Search Engine and Gun Deals

Also, PSA stuff isn't bad, but it's a dime a dozen. Just like it was stated in the suppressor thread, you won't honestly notice a massive difference from one brand to another with similar mil-spec builds.

To an extent, it doesn't matter what you buy if the trigger is crap. I'm willing to bet money that any competent shooter will do better with a low-end AR with a high-end trigger than a high-end AR with a low-end trigger. Believe me on that.
improving a trigger on an AR is almost as easy as changing underwear though....if you understand how they are built....

scott_0

Established Member
My buddy, who runs a local gun shop, has a Diamondback DB15 5.56 with a Vortex Optics red dot and 100 rounds of PMC X-tac for $675 out the door. I'm just looking for something to have fun with and shoot occasionally as there's a shotgun for home defense. Opinions, thoughts?
seems decent, I don't anything about that brand however, which Vortex is it? Vortex makes good optics, the optic snobs will tell you otherwise, but for what you want to do, it will be fine, but as said, you can build a real quality rifle for the price you've been quoted, I built one and there's not like it, all the parts you want, and much cheaper than an off the shelf rifle

Daniel Defense.
so you didn't ready what he wants at all huh? you just go ahead and recommend a top shelf rifle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
M&P 15 Sport is hard to beat for the money. Had one, great rifle. Sold it but now have my own built off of Cerro Forge Anderson lowers. Got an Aero Precision .308 receiver set I need to build too.

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
Vortex also gives amazing veterans discounts...almost 40% off retail if you do the paperwork and provide background info they require. They have gotten my business the last two times solely because of giving back to veterans.

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
M&P 15 Sport is hard to beat for the money. Had one, great rifle. Sold it but now have my own built off of Cerro Forge Anderson lowers. Got an Aero Precision .308 receiver set I need to build too.
www.livefreearmory.com
they provide Cerakoting for FREE....a billet matched .308 upper and lower are only $199...just saying.

CV355

_
Established Member
improving a trigger on an AR is almost as easy as changing underwear though....if you understand how they are built....

Be careful though. A lot of people take the cheap mil-spec trigger kits and polish them. Polishing is ok, helps a little.

Whatever you do, do not file down the sear contact points on mil-spec trigger groups. They're case hardened, and not very deep. If you file off too much, you're back into soft material, which wears. Last thing you want is for a disconnect or sear to round off and mag dump unexpectedly.

Best to buy a trigger group that is fully hardened and designed for a crisp break.

Machdup1

Established Member
For a plinker brand doesn’t matter. If you shoot competition or will trust your life to its function different levels of quality are called for.

Get a cheap one. You will soon buy another. I own eight.

Then you will discover assessoriesand you will learn to dress up your bitch.

96dreamer

Established Member
I got an M&P sport 2 a few years ago around black friday knowing full well it wasn't top of the line. It has yet to give me one issue and I love shooting it when i do get the chance to go to the range. That being said it is going to be hard not to build one this winter, i've been wanting to for a while. I bought the m&p just to have one with no intentions of modding or upgrading it knowing I would most likely build one down the road.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Seriously?
gun.deals (search engine that compiles the daily firearms related deals) (they even have an app). Radical Firearms has amazing deals every year also. I have one of their 50 Beowulf uppers and love it.

I’ll check those out. But have heard deals are to be had around the holidays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
seems decent, I don't anything about that brand however, which Vortex is it? Vortex makes good optics, the optic snobs will tell you otherwise, but for what you want to do, it will be fine, but as said, you can build a real quality rifle for the price you've been quoted, I built one and there's not like it, all the parts you want, and much cheaper than an off the shelf rifle

so you didn't ready what he wants at all huh? you just go ahead and recommend a top shelf rifle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have been looking into a Vortex Strikfire II or a Spitfire 3x decent, budget optics.

Last edited:

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
@BrunotheBoxer

@OETKB

OP I’m in the same position I’m waiting till around the holidays too see if any deals can be had. I was leaning to a S&W MP Sport 2 if I don’t see any deals. Sportsman outdoors or some place like that has them cheap.

My last AR I built a couple of years ago on an Aero Precision lower and enhanced upper. That said, I don't think you could go wrong with the M&P Sport for that price point. I haven't priced them in a while, but a few friends with gun shops are telling me AR prices are pretty much rock bottom these days.

Intervention302

Established Member
I'm VERY happy with Hardened Arms

Check them out

I've had 4 now. All with Vortex optics

Intervention302

Established Member
Found a few photos. Check their website out.

You usually get what you pay for. HA might not be the absolute cheapest, but I'm super happy with them
022fb7ecedcd28e059ce2d790c3ee157.jpg
1ca0d3ab51a6d810cfeb5c4fb5b28bba.jpg
94121e58344fb894ce32d328ede56f32.jpg
2e141e30ac655c2a86ff9210ed9964e9.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I had a Daniel Defense AR and a Mini 14. Of course they are gone.

I am pretty much finished with archery. I wish I could find someone willing to trade a cheap, bottom dwelling AR for my bow and all of my gear.

That would at least get exercise a couple times a year when I shoot with my brothers.

Sent from my [trashcan S5] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
My last AR I built a couple of years ago on an Aero Precision lower and enhanced upper. That said, I don't think you could go wrong with the M&P Sport for that price point. I haven't priced them in a while, but a few friends with gun shops are telling me AR prices are pretty much rock bottom these days.

Awesome thanks for the info. Last I looked I believe they were around $550.00.

Users who are viewing this thread