finding a fully built clean sn95

slow poke

Established Member
Does anyone have an idea of where i can look? Im in the 20-25k range and want a fully built street car. Seems like every one i see is beat to shit.

HandBanana

Established Member
I would probably post this up in the market. 20-25k for a 94-98 car is a boatload of money. Why wouldn't you just go the better route with an 03/04 Cobra or even a 2011-2013 5.bro? MUCH easier to make big power and hold together.

ibleedblue65

Established Member
I know someone with a 1000+hp sn 95 cobra he is looking to sell. It made like 950 to the tire on e85. Pm if interested.

Ford1288

Established Member
There is a sick yellow SN95 on corral thats been for sale for awhile. F1 car. I have been drooling over it for awhile. Its in your price range.

slow poke

Established Member
Thanks for the respones guys

Mark C could you PM some picks?

I realize they are old cars put i love the look, i would also consider a 03/04 cobra but i want the works and finding one in my price range is difficult.

I was looking at the pacific green one on sale here but it sold unfortunately, that car was pretty much ideal

slow poke

Established Member
I previously had a 99gt with terminator swap but it was beat and had issues so i was just messing with it all the time. I just finished grad school and would like something to enjoy and not constantly wrench on.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I did this once. Probably the worst decision I've ever made.

Bought a completely built, show quality SN95 Cobra back around 2008. Had 45k miles on it, paid $16,500 I think. Built motor, T-trim, built rear, full Griggs suspension, Saleen seats, BBS RK wheels, the works. All built by reputable shops and lots of people vouched for the car.

Within 2 months of purchase, the fuel system failed. Basically needed to replace the entire setup because it was running on the ragged edge trying to support the HP it was making. Really shoddy workmanship with the in-tank wiring that could have easily caused the car to burst into flames. Response from the builder: "that's how we do all our fuel systems"

Within 6 months of purchase, complete engine failure while driving on the highway to work, cruising at 60mph. The culprit turned out to be the "top-rated head shop" machined some motorcycle valvesprings to fit the head. When a few springs broke, it ended up locking up the valvetrain, breaking a cam clean in half, and dropping two valves, which put a hole in the piston and destroyed the head. Response from the builder: "you must have over-revved it". On an engine I was told could (and did) easily handle 8500 rpm.

My dream SN-95 turned into a complete nightmare and cost me a TON of money after I had already paid a premium for such a well-built car. So be careful and I wish you a lot more luck than I had.

Last edited:

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I did this once. Probably the worst decision I've ever made.

Bought a completely built, show quality SN95 Cobra back around 04/05. Had 45k miles on it, paid $16,500 I think. Built motor, T-trim, built rear, full Griggs suspension, Saleen seats, BBS RK wheels, the works. All built by reputable shops and lots of people vouched for the car.

Within 2 months of purchase, the fuel system failed. Basically needed to replace the entire setup because it was running on the ragged edge trying to support the HP it was making. Really shoddy workmanship with the in-tank wiring that could have easily caused the car to burst into flames. Response from the builder: "that's how we do all our fuel systems"

Within 6 months of purchase, complete engine failure while driving on the highway to work, cruising at 60mph. The culprit turned out to be the "top-rated head shop" machined some motorcycle valvesprings to fit the head. When a few springs broke, it ended up locking up the valvetrain, breaking a cam clean in half, and dropping two valves, which put a hole in the piston and destroyed the head. Response from the builder: "you must have over-revved it". On an engine I was told could (and did) easily handle 8500 rpm.

My dream SN-95 turned into a complete nightmare and cost me a TON of money after I had already paid a premium for such a well-built car. So be careful and I wish you a lot more luck than I had.

L&M? :read:

starnsey

Established Member
I previously had a 99gt with terminator swap but it was beat and had issues so i was just messing with it all the time. I just finished grad school and would like something to enjoy and not constantly wrench on.

Thanks for the respones guys

Mark C could you PM some picks?

I realize they are old cars put i love the look, i would also consider a 03/04 cobra but i want the works and finding one in my price range is difficult.

I was looking at the pacific green one on sale here but it sold unfortunately, that car was pretty much ideal

Dude, these two things are mutually exclusive in like 99.9% of cases. Especially with a 15+ year old Mustang. You will be working on that bitch every month regardless of how pristine it is if you buy a car modded to the very edge. Trust me on this - you will regret it.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
L&M? :read:

Coincidently, it was a couple shops down your way in Florida that built the engine and the car. Here is a link to the original build before the 2nd went crazy with it (nobody mentioned int he article caused the engine failure, it had a lot more work done after Ralph sold it) http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/m5lp-0208-1998-ford-mustang-cobra/

I did have the engine failure diagnosed by L&M and had them build me a replacement. Unfortunately, the only thing salvageable from the original engine were the rods, but I sold them and bought a Livernois stroker rotating assembly. After I sold it, that engine was put through hell by the new owner, said he was running 20 psi from a Ysi blower through it.

I owned the car for about a year and a half and got to drive it for maybe 6-7 months of that. Got so sick of shelling out money to fix it, I got rid of it.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Dude, these two things are mutually exclusive in like 99.9% of cases. Especially with a 15+ year old Mustang. You will be working on that bitch every month regardless of how pristine it is if you buy a car modded to the very edge. Trust me on this - you will regret it.

This!

HandBanana

Established Member

x65,000,000,000,000,000

You CANNOT expect to have a built car that runs like a top 100% of the time. It WILL break and have issues. Especially being an older car like an SN95. Fuel systems will let go, motors will throw a rod, transmission will need rebuilt. It is not a cheap game to play. I have HATED every single(of which there were 3) built car I bought. All you're doing is paying top dollar for someone's else's mess. You will kick yourself months from now if you follow through with this.

That being said, making 500-600whp out of an 03/04 Cobra or a 2011+ takes minimal effort and still retains a good amount of reliability and every day comfort. But you can't expect to just dump money, go fast and not have to fix shit. It doesn't work that way.

sdoo500

Established Member
There was a guy local to me selling a ~94? GT. Turbo car that made 850 to the wheels, no expense spared yada yada yada. Original owner, and fairly low miles. Think he was looking for 18k? Can ask if it sounds like something you'd be interested in. Car was yellow and had saleen body kit but looked very well put together.

Blackness03

Established Member

X1000000

if you want a car to not work on buy a new one

Users who are viewing this thread