File Transfer from Laptop to Laptop

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
press windows key
type \\YOURCOMPUTERSNAME\C$

google how to find my computers name. lol

I just realized my instructions are vague.
Again, make sure both laptops are on and on the same wireless network. default workgroup should be workgroup too.

On your new PC, press the windows key, type in the computer name of the older laptop, it should be: \\computername\c$

with that command you are accessing the older laptop's files

Last edited:

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Brad, @03cobra#694 ,...honestly your best bet is to buy a 1G hard drive external from Amazon. I got mine for about 50 bucks. (I can get you the link if you are interested.)
Copied over onto the external and then from the external to new PC.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Brad, @03cobra#694 ,...honestly your best bet is to buy a 1G hard drive external from Amazon. I got mine for about 50 bucks. (I can get you the link if you are interested.)
Copied over onto the external and then from the external to new PC.
I have one, and have tried 3 times. All the files are empty.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
What type of files are you trying to copy over?

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
PDF and pictures is what I want most.
That's really weird. That should work.

Is the external hard drive you are trying to copy onto empty? If not, try copying over with an empty external hard drive. Maybe something on there is corrupt?
You could also try doing a couple of files at a time to make sure it is actually copying over instead of loading it up and not working.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
That's really weird. That should work.

Is the external hard drive you are trying to copy onto empty? If not, try copying over with an empty external hard drive. Maybe something on there is corrupt?
You could also try doing a couple of files at a time to make sure it is actually copying over instead of loading it up and not working.
I formatted it, and running a new back up now Tony. It always kept saying back up failed.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I formatted it, and running a new back up now Tony. It always kept saying back up failed.

if it messes up again I would just stop trying to use the backup utility. Just right click on the file you want and while holding down the right mouse button drag it over to the external drive, when you let go of the mouse button choose the "copy here" option. Id try on just a couple files to make sure theres not some other issue going on.

I lean towards some file its trying to copy over in the backup is in use so it cant copy it and it screws up the whole process.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I’d say stop using whatever backup program you’re using. I’ve always just done the drag and drop method
I ordered a cable. I’m over it. How in the do you drag and drop from one computer to another? BTW, this thing is fast as ****.
Next question.
Wireless, maybe 25 on the download. Plugged in, 122. I know this has a good wireless card.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I ordered a cable. I’m over it. How in the do you drag and drop from one computer to another? BTW, this thing is fast as ****.
Next question.
Wireless, maybe 25 on the download. Plugged in, 122. I know this has a good wireless card.

Drag and drop from one computer to another can be a little tricky due to sharing permissions

I was suggesting to drag and drop from old laptop to external drive then hook it to the new laptop and move em from external to new computer

As for WiFi Make sure you test right next to the router so signal strength isn’t an issue. If it’s still slow make sure the chord from modem to router isn’t an old pos. My Xbox was only running at 20mbps, swapped the cable and it was 100+

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Next question.
I would buy an external HD enclosure for your old laptops HD. Unless you still plan on using your old laptop. What kind of cable did you order?

Edit: Also lol at your DL/UL speeds. Just tested mine the other day and wired I was getting 980 down 960 up.

Users who are viewing this thread