FI What to do?

5lho

Established Member
having had centri...next time, I'd go PD. I didn't really like how the centri made power. All stacked up top and needing to be revved and loaded hard. I'd like the PD torque and fun just available underfoot at all times. This is a street car and I want it to feel like it is supercharged off WOT.

imeyers302

Established Member
having had centri...next time, I'd go PD. I didn't really like how the centri made power. All stacked up top and needing to be revved and loaded hard. I'd like the PD torque and fun just available underfoot at all times. This is a street car and I want it to feel like it is supercharged off WOT.

I am leaning more and more towards the VMP setup.

lpheaven

Established Member

I looked at other blowers and really liked the centris. Thats why i chose the i-1, it has the CVT and acts exactly like a PD. It has some limits - 950 flywheel maxed out but other than that its fine

imeyers302

Established Member

Part of me feels like between the blower, install, dyno tuning, new wheels and tires to handle the power, etc... I should just sell what I can off it and see about a 13-14 GT500 and be done.

The Beast 2014

Established Member
It't not cheap. You should be able to do the install yourself if you wanted but the blower, injectors, tuning will run you in the 8k range I would think. With VMP they should be able to give you a good tune without needing to go have a Dyno tune. I only mentioned injectors because most tuners want you to have ID 1000's. Yes, you can get power with 47's or 60's but most tuners are picky and won't tune without certain things. I forgot you have a manual so yes, 600 is easier for you. I am on an automatic so 575 for me is over 600 for you.

You can do tires second like I am, no big deal.

5lho

Established Member
I looked at other blowers and really liked the centris. Thats why i chose the i-1, it has the CVT and acts exactly like a PD. It has some limits - 950 flywheel maxed out but other than that its fine

Well, it can't act exactly like a PD because it isn't. It's probably better than other centris. What you have is a multi-speed blower which makes it a little less dependent on actual engine rpm for power. PD is different in how it operates. PD takes a fixed amount of air, traps it and forces that into the engine so, it can make enormous torque, at relatively low RPM. A centri is that, centrifugal and relies on impeller speed and charge housing a/r to move pressurized air into the manifold and that means high engine rpm, usually though that need is diminished with a multi speed drive.

imeyers302

Established Member
It's never done. You would just end up modding a gt500 instead of a GT

I know. That was just frustration talking. I have been going back and forth with this for a month now. I am 100% decided on the VMP. Guess you only live once. Going to see about a Stage 2 kit. Looked over install manual and does not look to bad at all, although I am not thrilled about the grinding part. Insyalled everything else besides the manifold (came with the car when new) so i should be able to tackle this. It's not my daily so I can take my time installing. Will hopefully make a few cents back when I sell the Boss Mani and Steeda CAI.

corepwn

Established Member
I know. That was just frustration talking. I have been going back and forth with this for a month now. I am 100% decided on the VMP. Guess you only live once. Going to see about a Stage 2 kit. Looked over install manual and does not look to bad at all, although I am not thrilled about the grinding part. Insyalled everything else besides the manifold (came with the car when new) so i should be able to tackle this. It's not my daily so I can take my time installing. Will hopefully make a few cents back when I sell the Boss Mani and Steeda CAI.

The grinding is not difficult at all, and some front covers actually came machined from Ford.

bunits19714

Established Member
Oh Wait I don't have a GT500 - I have 48,000 worth of recipts . I should of bought a gt 500 -Lol. I said this a few times in the last month!!!!!
Part of me feels like between the blower, install, dyno tuning, new wheels and tires to handle the power, etc... I should just sell what I can off it and see about a 13-14 GT500 and be done.

The Beast 2014

Established Member
I don't ever think about the fact I should have bought a GT500. I wonder if I should have bought a 2015 due to the strength of the engine over the 2014.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
We can set you up with a great vortech, paxton, procharger or hellion setup. some of the best packages out there for these cars.

Feel free to give me a shout and bend our ear and we'll help guide you in the right direction

imeyers302

Established Member
We can set you up with a great vortech, paxton, procharger or hellion setup. some of the best packages out there for these cars.

Feel free to give me a shout and bend our ear and we'll help guide you in the right direction

Right now I am leaning heavily towards the PD blowers. The low end tq is very appealing. Have had the Boss Mani since day one and while it's fun when at 7000rpm+ the car only spends probably less than 5%, if that, of its time at those rpms.

What RPMs are the Centri blowers starting to make their TQ? I was all set on a Vortech package but these VMPs are really enticing. As I stated if the car makes 600whp I will be thrilled which any of the kits are more than capable of.

Green99

Established Member
Maybe long winded but here is my experience....

I went through this same thing at the end of 2015. PD or Centri? Turbo or blower? I ended up buying the VMP stage 2 kit. I have a 14 auto car. I did opg's and crankshaft gear at the same time. I got the "base" stage 2 kit.
82mm pulley, 47lb injectors, no BAP or upgraded TB. I have remote tuned on the street only with VMP. Car has 1 or 2 very small issues to be worked out tune wise but other than that it is 99% on point.

Car ran 10.60 @ 131 mph a few weeks ago and it felt effortless. It just goes. It ran a 10.90 the very first pass I made in it with the VMP. I probably should be more excited about it than I am.

As for all the RWHP numbers, I have no clue nor do I really care. I have a car that is dead on tune wise and is capable of clicking of a mid 10 sec pass and then airing the tires back up and driving home. The street manners are just like stock until you get on it. It is crazy how well this thing works.

I do not regret buying the PD over a centri. If I would have gone with a centri it would have been from Beefcake. The guy really supports the forums and will spend all the time in the world talking to you.

The fact that the VMP got slapped on and I went and ran a mid 10 at over 130 mph by the 8th pass on the setup says ALOT about how well Justin and the gang have it sorted out.

All that being said, I really really really want a CPR kit. Something about a turbo gets me excited. :lol1:

imeyers302

Established Member
Maybe long winded but here is my experience....

I went through this same thing at the end of 2015. PD or Centri? Turbo or blower? I ended up buying the VMP stage 2 kit. I have a 14 auto car. I did opg's and crankshaft gear at the same time. I got the "base" stage 2 kit.
82mm pulley, 47lb injectors, no BAP or upgraded TB. I have remote tuned on the street only with VMP. Car has 1 or 2 very small issues to be worked out tune wise but other than that it is 99% on point.

Car ran 10.60 @ 131 mph a few weeks ago and it felt effortless. It just goes. It ran a 10.90 the very first pass I made in it with the VMP. I probably should be more excited about it than I am.

As for all the RWHP numbers, I have no clue nor do I really care. I have a car that is dead on tune wise and is capable of clicking of a mid 10 sec pass and then airing the tires back up and driving home. The street manners are just like stock until you get on it. It is crazy how well this thing works.

I do not regret buying the PD over a centri. If I would have gone with a centri it would have been from Beefcake. The guy really supports the forums and will spend all the time in the world talking to you.

The fact that the VMP got slapped on and I went and ran a mid 10 at over 130 mph by the 8th pass on the setup says ALOT about how well Justin and the gang have it sorted out.

Well I am definitely going the PD route. However I am leaning towards the Whipple 2.9 front feed stage 2 setup with the 132mm throttle body. No grinding of the front cover and their tunes are spot on as well I hear.

corepwn

Established Member
Well I am definitely going the PD route. However I am leaning towards the Whipple 2.9 front feed stage 2 setup with the 132mm throttle body. No grinding of the front cover and their tunes are spot on as well I hear.

No grinding is just as much a curse as a blessing. If you have any problems with the SC belt you'll be stranded on the side of the road since it won't use the first shiv on the balancer, and instead will share the outter shiv with the waterpump and alternator accessories.

I had an idler pulley fail while driving once which shreaded the SC belt. Pulled over, saw the belt and pulley, got back in and drove home. Good luck doing something like that with the SC running off the main accessory belt.

imeyers302

Established Member
No grinding is just as much a curse as a blessing. If you have any problems with the SC belt you'll be stranded on the side of the road since it won't use the first shiv on the balancer, and instead will share the outter shiv with the waterpump and alternator accessories.

I had an idler pulley fail while driving once which shreaded the SC belt. Pulled over, saw the belt and pulley, got back in and drove home. Good luck doing something like that with the SC running off the main accessory belt.

So if I keep a small box in the trunk with a spare idler pulley, belt, and some tools I am good to go?

I am not going to get something I don't want just because it's easier to get home should something break. There are plenty of other things that can fail and leave you stranded as well.

corepwn

Established Member
So if I keep a small box in the trunk with a spare idler pulley, belt, and some tools I am good to go?

I am not going to get something I don't want just because it's easier to get home should something break. There are plenty of other things that can fail and leave you stranded as well.

You can do whatever you want, but the point of this thread was that you were looking for opinions.
My point is that something that's being touted as a benefit of the Whipple over the TVS is not necessarily an actual benefit in the real world.

You save 20 minutes of grinding but load the crank more and if/when you run into belt issues you'll be stranded.

Like I said, do whatever you like. Every FI option has put cars into the 8s.

Users who are viewing this thread