FI What to do?

imeyers302

Established Member
So I have my car pretty much sorted out now. Car has Boss IM, Steeda CAI, Steeda 93 tune, bobs oil sep, Steeda sway bars, Steeda upper and lower control arms, BMR relos, Steeda watts link (arriving any day now), Steeda sport springs with Koni yellows, MGW Compact Race Spec, DSS Carbon Driveshaft, Boss steering wheel, and I am sure I am forgetting something. Car is a 2014 track pack.

I am finally ready to add more power. Was going to go with a Vortech setup and do long tubes but I see that the Hellion kit comes with their own headers (I think). The cost difference between the vortech kit plus long tubes vs the Hellion kit which comes with them is less than $1000. Am I missing something? Is there any supporting stuff that is required with the hellion kit?

imeyers302

Established Member
I think you should first figure out if you want to go turbo or supercharger.

Cost was a factor. Always wanted turbos vs a SC. I was all set to go vortech until I did math and between the vortech and a set of long tubes, boost a pump, etc the price is not drastically different. Even if it's 2k more, I can live with it. I see the Hellion kit going for around $8500 and that includes headers. The SC setup I would want is at least $6k then I have to add at least another $1000 for the long tubes, mid pipe, etc...

SGcoyote

Established Member
I think a CPR kit would be a good idea, and the best band for for the buck, forward facing headers, tubular k member, quality WG, BOV, and turbo... You can't go wrong

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The Beast 2014

Established Member
Fuel supply is going to be an issue with Turbo setup or SC if you want 600hp. You will want at least ID1000's for fuel injectors. I don't run a Turbo setup but seems the most popular for twins right now is On3 and for a single is JPC. Time to do your homework on which kit comes with what.

There are a few guys on here who can give you better ideas when it comes to a Turbo setup.

imeyers302

Established Member
Fuel supply is going to be an issue with Turbo setup or SC if you want 600hp. You will want at least ID1000's for fuel injectors. I don't run a Turbo setup but seems the most popular for twins right now is On3 and for a single is JPC. Time to do your homework on which kit comes with what.

There are a few guys on here who can give you better ideas when it comes to a Turbo setup.

Definitely going for 600whp. Dont really need to go much more at least for a while. This is why I like the Hellion kit. High quality and comes with everything (I think) to make 600hp. This is what's advertised with the kit.

WHAT'S IN THE BOX
(2) Precision 62mm Turbos
(2) Turbosmart 40mm Wastegates
(2) Turbosmart VEE port bypass valves
(2) Stainless 4 into 1 Tubular Headers
47lb Fuel Injectors
Handheld Tuner with base tune
Necessary Hardware

corepwn

Established Member
I personally see it like this.

Going SC? VMP Gen2
Going with Twins? Hellion kit
Going single turbo? CPR Kit

All have pros and cons.

Headers are not a requirement for a SC car, but a bonus. I made 800rwhp through the factory manifolds.

imeyers302

Established Member
I personally see it like this.

Going SC? VMP Gen2
Going with Twins? Hellion kit
Going single turbo? CPR Kit

All have pros and cons.

Headers are not a requirement for a SC car, but a bonus. I made 800rwhp through the factory manifolds.

To many damn choices. Took me months just to decide to go vortech instead of PD. Love the VMP setups also. And more and more people are telling me that's the SC route to go also.

I am usually dead focused on what I want but this FI choice is driving me nuts.

The Beast 2014

Established Member
Sorry, I said JPC but I meant CPR. Either SC or Turbo will make 600hp with a fuel supply. I am at 575 with a supercharger everyone hates on a 91 octane tune. I could easily push high 600's with e85. Those Hellion kits are nice though.

imeyers302

Established Member
Sorry, I said JPC but I meant CPR. Either SC or Turbo will make 600hp with a fuel supply. I am at 575 with a supercharger everyone hates on a 91 octane tune. I could easily push high 600's with e85. Those Hellion kits are nice though.

I would be plenty happy with 575 and 500+ tq. And I don't know why everyone hates on the EB superchargers.

The Beast 2014

Established Member
Well, this really comes down to preference for you. TVS or Centri blower, Single or Twin turbo. All will required ID1000's to get you in the 600 range safely. Lots of Vendors on here that have good deals, just give them a call. You can even give them an idea what you are going to use the car for and your goals and they will point you in the right direction. These forums have been great information for me.

bunits19714

Established Member
You don't need id1000 to make 600 rwhp- you have a manual - vmp gen 2 will be fine on the #47/52 or use the ford 60#'s - consider who is going to tune it and ask them what they want so you don't buy a injector that the tuner god won't work with.
plus a turbo with a manual will make 700rwhp no sweet but will need a boosta pump but the injector will be maxxed. id1000's will easily go 800 with a boost pump on mixed gas- (further than your stock short block will make) going turbo will require some valve spring work when you start to lean on it. Any FI will reek havoc on the m-82 trans above 700- You are at the perfect place on the modding stage to do it right and do it once. I just placed a D1sc on my coyote and I haven't got that all warm and fuzzie feelings flowing- still waiting for our track to open this Saturday and maybe a good number will make me happier- the power is awesome it just isn't usable/drivable-(tuner is working on getting the drive ability down but I also have a 5c loose converter coupled with 3.55's to max the rpm out in 4th gear in the qtr. so hammering it on the street gets a lil squirely. Your going to have to lose those 3.73's you have regard less of what ever fi you go with- if you want to run 9's meet emission(with some magic) go vmp- if you want 8's after you add a glide(m-82 garbage) go turbo. If I was in your shoes I will sell the boss intake and go VMP. Best of luck on your decision making

imeyers302

Established Member
You don't need id1000 to make 600 rwhp- you have a manual - vmp gen 2 will be fine on the #47/52 or use the ford 60#'s - consider who is going to tune it and ask them what they want so you don't buy a injector that the tuner god won't work with.
plus a turbo with a manual will make 700rwhp no sweet but will need a boosta pump but the injector will be maxxed. id1000's will easily go 800 with a boost pump on mixed gas- (further than your stock short block will make) going turbo will require some valve spring work when you start to lean on it. Any FI will reek havoc on the m-82 trans above 700- You are at the perfect place on the modding stage to do it right and do it once. I just placed a D1sc on my coyote and I haven't got that all warm and fuzzie feelings flowing- still waiting for our track to open this Saturday and maybe a good number will make me happier- the power is awesome it just isn't usable/drivable-(tuner is working on getting the drive ability down but I also have a 5c loose converter coupled with 3.55's to max the rpm out in 4th gear in the qtr. so hammering it on the street gets a lil squirely. Your going to have to lose those 3.73's you have regard less of what ever fi you go with- if you want to run 9's meet emission(with some magic) go vmp- if you want 8's after you add a glide(m-82 garbage) go turbo. If I was in your shoes I will sell the boss intake and go VMP. Best of luck on your decision making

I hear you on the 3.73s. I am not going for crazy hp numbers, not doing it for drag racing, roll racing, or autocross. The only reason I am building this car up is strictly to put a big grin on my face. That's it.

Vert

Established Member
Just watch goosing it in 1st and 2nd until you have a feeling for the car with the 3.73s. I'm right at 600 with my vmp kit and with the auto and 3.15s it's a fun time walking the ass end out. That's the best part of the torque but not so great for my tires.

_Snake_

Established Member
I hear you on the 3.73s. I am not going for crazy hp numbers, not doing it for drag racing, roll racing, or autocross. The only reason I am building this car up is strictly to put a big grin on my face. That's it.

As a owner of a MT-82 with 3.73's, 600 hp is a great number. I'm only making 550ish on a centri and I giggle like a 5 year old every time I mash the skinny pedal.

I'm also not trying to be the fastest anything. Just have a lot of fun.

Last edited:

lpheaven

Established Member
Good luck finding a tuner in the tristate area that won't require you to get id1000's 1st. I have 60s w roush BAP and i'm stuck on prochargers canned tune unless i buy id1000s that will be dumbed down by 2/3 for my horsepower level. If you do find a tuner, let me know. I just have a lowly 2012 Boss 302/i-1 procharger/bap/opg/pulse ring/shortys/rxt @ 615ish. Procharger has been extremely helpful making me small adjustments but theyre not a tuner company

imeyers302

Established Member
Good luck finding a tuner in the tristate area that won't require you to get id1000's 1st. I have 60s w roush BAP and i'm stuck on prochargers canned tune unless i buy id1000s that will be dumbed down by 2/3 for my horsepower level. If you do find a tuner, let me know. I just have a lowly 2012 Boss 302/i-1 procharger/bap/opg/pulse ring/shortys/rxt @ 615ish. Procharger has been extremely helpful making me small adjustments but theyre not a tuner company

For the money that I will be investing for a blower, I don't see a problem buying id1000S if that's what the tuner recommends. Will most likely be using realspeed in Bohemia for tuning and possible install if I get lazy. Was actually considering the I-1 procharger. I am still on the fence between a PD or Centri but either way I will go with whatever injectors they recommend.

Users who are viewing this thread