Fearing for a Child

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Your feelings are normal. Normal for a dad who LOVES his children and his wife. There are "fathers" out there who routinely abuse their children, abandon them, and worse. Your heroic and desperate actions were acts of love. I believe that God kept your son from drowning. Like you said, he didn't even spit out water, so he likely didn't swallow much, if any, water. You will wake up every morning thanking God that you still have Jon to hold, nurture, love, and care for. By the way, Jon's name in Hebrew means "God is gracious". :):):)

01yellercobra

Established Member
Nothing to feel like a loser over. You did what any good parent would do.

Back when my daughter was around 5 we were camping with friends. She was walking ahead with the kids and right as our friend was saying not to walk so close to the edge we watched the ground give way and my daughter drop into the water. She could swi, but the current was really strong. I vaguely remember jumping into the water and apparently I did the one armed grab. I just remember thinking I wasn't going to get there in time. But everyone said I covered the distance in no time.

It hasn't affected my daughter in any way. In fact if there's a pool, lake, or ocean around she wants to be in it. She's 16 now BTW.

Geno-04

Established Member
Thank god your child is okay!!!!!! Every parent has moments like this, thank fully yours had a good ending.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
In my neighborhood something similar happened but it was a commercial truck and the kid did hit it. Ripped her face from nose to ear, showing bone and fractured skull. Flight for life came out etc... Multiple surgeries later she's back home.
Holy crap. That is very sad to hear. I for sure count myself as lucky/blessed that it didn't end up this way. I hope that little girl can make a full recovery.

My94GT

Established Member
It only takes a split second, anything can happen to anyone. Glad it worked out for you and the little one is ok!

MFE

Established Member
When our boy was a toddler, we were at the cottage our family had owned for years for a visit one summer. It had a screened-in porch halfway around it, and it made a great runway for kids to run laps. Each screen had one of those roll-up blinds, which are raised and lowered by a long loop of string. Our boy was in and out of sight for a few minutes, and then he was out of sight. And it was quiet, which wasn't unusual, because sometimes he found something interesting to focus on. Eventually one of us made our way out there, and damned if he wasn't pretty much hanging by one of those strings, and turning blue. Sometimes you dodge a bullet and you realize, sometimes the other guy doesn't dodge it, and it's not his fault. Glad you dodged the bullet.

DiB14-SAFD

Established Member
First off I am glad your boy is ok. As a FF-EMT I have seen the other side of these types of things to many times.

Secondly, might I recommend ISR(infant swim rescue) training for your boy. It’s a specialized swim class for infants and toddlers which specifically teaches your child to be able to roll to their back and float should they fall in the water. My son did the first 6 week installment last year when he was 18mo and has his follow up training this summer. By the end of the first 6 weeks they should be able to roll over and float for at least a minute. Well worth it imo, especially if you have a pool or pond nearby.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Seconding DiB14-SAFD's recommendation for Infant Swim Rescue training. The kids love it.

And in my usual manner, what I completely forgot to say the fist time around: OP, I am so glad to hear your kid is ok. Don't just focus on what could have gone wrong, when you think of this. Think also about what you did right: You immediately noticed a danger, you acted on it quickly, and even in a state of near panic, you put together the things you saw and took action. "Just the sort of thing any parent would do?" Sadly, no. So think about what you both did right, here. That's why your kid is still here.

Users who are viewing this thread