Favorite Shotgun Load for Home Defense?

Blown 89

Established Member
Not a fan of shotguns for home defense in my particular home but if I had to I'd equip it with Federal's Law Enforcement 00 or #1. Like I said, my house is terrible for a shotgun so I reserve it for sporting purposes.

I didn't pick birdshot because it doesn't have adequate penetration for self defense.

jshen

Established Member
In my cop years, we were issued #4 buck in 2 3/4...and was present during a couple of "live fire demonstrations" and I could not believe the impact on the targets...Definitely a people stopper..

I like the short barrel Saiga..and will buy one when an opportunity presents itself. The kel tech bullpup also interesting as it is short. Presently I have 10mm Glock with 15 rd clip...I live alone so overpenetration is not an issue.

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
00 in the 870. That is backup to the 1911 in the nightstand and the LCR for the wife. Not worried with over penatration as our daughters room is up stairs and the master is on the main floor.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
My Benelli 1014 is staggered with 00 buck and slugs. Where I'm at I don't have to worry about over-penetration so if they are still there and standing after I fire that first round of buck then there is going to be a slug coming next to ensure there is no coming back.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Not a fan of shotguns for home defense in my particular home but if I had to I'd equip it with Federal's Law Enforcement 00 or #1. Like I said, my house is terrible for a shotgun so I reserve it for sporting purposes.

I didn't pick birdshot because it doesn't have adequate penetration for self defense.

Not adequate penetration for what?

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
I'm a fan of 2 rounds of #7 birdshot and if that doesn't work the next few rounds are 00 buck with a couple of slugs at the end.

BigFatMatt

Ain't never gonna change
Established Member
All of y'all saying buckshot need to make sure you're OK with the shot traveling through walls and potentially harming family members. I don't agree with this choice.

I use #6 hevi shot turkey loads. Most home defense scenarios involve pretty close distances. Ever seen what a full choke load of number 6 looks like from less than 15 yards away? It doesn't expand any bigger than a softball and it's gonna do a TON of damage. On the plus side it's not going to make it through multiple layers of drywall with enough energy to kill your kids.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
All of y'all saying buckshot need to make sure you're OK with the shot traveling through walls and potentially harming family members. I don't agree with this choice.

I use #6 hevi shot turkey loads. Most home defense scenarios involve pretty close distances. Ever seen what a full choke load of number 6 looks like from less than 15 yards away? It doesn't expand any bigger than a softball and it's gonna do a TON of damage. On the plus side it's not going to make it through multiple layers of drywall with enough energy to kill your kids.

But what if the home invaders are wearing black fatigues and body armor?! Huh, what then?!

BigFatMatt

Ain't never gonna change
Established Member
First shot would probably hit him in the chest or gut since it would be more of a reflex type reaction. Wouldn't make it through body armor but it would knock him off balance and give me a split second for a follow up shot.

Second one is ripping through his knee caps. He'll wish he took the first one.

Users who are viewing this thread