Fastest bolt on 2012 manual 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVTPete83

Established Member
maybe he went and took a dump and it gave him the .01 to net that 10.96 :lol1: :shrug:, plus he didnt even post it at the local forum in cali, someone else did. Also you know as well as i do that he was on the cusp and really all he needed was a little bit cooler temps to whack that time out which is what happened. I TOTALLY BELIEVE SHAUN AND IM SURE HE WILL SQUASH THAT TIME NEXT TIME OUT

This... Shaun has been running 11.0 for a while now. It was only a matter of time to break into the tens.

Shaun@AED

Officially 11.014 with a timeslip
Unofficially 10.96 with half a dozen witnesses.

Who needs windshield wipers if the car never sees the rain?
Wipers and motor weigh a whapping 7.5lbs.

A full tank of E85 offsets that and then some as its ~1lb per gallon heavier than gasoline. And I fill up before driving to the track (15miles away).

Street car argument won't go far as wbt has drag specific front brakes....far less streetable than not having windshield wipers. LOL

kdanner

Banned

I seem to recall you saying the windshield washer tank/pump was gone as well, plus airbags removed and race seats installed. I have my own scales and know all too well what these cars weigh in different states as I have weighed them many times. A car stripped down like that, no roll bar, on race tires/wheels is around 3200 lbs with a light fuel load and no driver.

wbt

Banned
Officially 11.014 with a timeslip
Unofficially 10.96 with half a dozen witnesses.

A full tank of E85 offsets that and then some as its ~1lb per gallon heavier than gasoline. And I fill up before driving to the track (15miles away).

Street car argument won't go far as wbt has drag specific front brakes....far less streetable than not having windshield wipers. LOL

Bullshit. My car is 100% emissions and street legal that is a daily driver. You can't pass inspection or emissions so you have no business saying my car isn't streetable. In fact, it brakes just fine in normal driving conditions but you wouldn't know about that.

86merc

Established Member
Ah the good old "street car' versus 'streetable car' versus 'race car' debate. A debate that will never be won. haha

SVTPete83

Established Member
I've seen Shaun's car drive on the street many times. In fact, he usually drives his car to the track...2012 won't need an emissions inspection until 2018. I would go as far as to say his car is a great example of a street/strip car. I would love to own an na 11.0 car that I can drive to the track.

wbt

Banned
I've seen Shaun's car drive on the street many times. In fact, he usually drives his car to the track...2012 won't need an emissions inspection until 2018. I would go as far as to say his car is a great example of a street/strip car. I would love to own an na 11.0 car that I can drive to the track.

I can drive my '67 Plymouth Valiant on the street too, which hasn't been registered in almost 10 years, but that doesn't make it legal. :nonono:

SVTPete83

Established Member
Yes. But his car is registered lol. Just as mine is too. Would it pass smog today, maybe maybe not. But it sure passed last week with flying colors before I took the stock exhaust back off. Mine is registered and today I am driving it 200 miles. But by your definition it's not a street car. I guess 95% of the cars on this site aren't street cars then...

D.T.R

Established Member
Why don't we stay on topic? lol
Both of you guys have went extremely fast on your bolt-on coyotes.. can't we all be friends and enjoy this?

Bud

Established Member
Both of you guys have went extremely fast on your bolt-on coyotes.. can't we all be friends and enjoy this?

Agreed, both are pushing the envelope in these cars and breaking ground which is good for us all to learn from. Fun to watch too. I can see how it can get competitive going for the fastest bolt on car though, a very tight game.

Shaun@AED

I seem to recall you saying the windshield washer tank/pump was gone as well, plus airbags removed and race seats installed. I have my own scales and know all too well what these cars weigh in different states as I have weighed them many times. A car stripped down like that, no roll bar, on race tires/wheels is around 3200 lbs with a light fuel load and no driver.

Sadly, you are mistaken.
Reservior is removed and weighed in at 8lbs full of fluid. The bottle weighs hardly anything so the same weight can be saved by simply draining the tank.

Only the side seat airbags have been removed as I hav aftermarket Carbeau seats. All other airbags are still there AND fully functional.

I have scales at my shop. Car weighed 3430lbs without driver on the RaceStars and 3/4 tank of gasoline.
I've since swapped to Weld RTS's with bias fronts (dropped 25lbs)
Girodisc 2-piece rotors (18 lbs dropped)
And swapped back to E85 (1lb per gallon gained)
I've also gained 5lbs myself. LOL

Shaun@AED

Bullshit. My car is 100% emissions and street legal that is a daily driver. You can't pass inspection or emissions so you have no business saying my car isn't streetable. In fact, it brakes just fine in normal driving conditions but you wouldn't know about that.

My 5.0 will pass inspection/emissions by simply bolting on the stock cats which takes 30min. Your car on the other hand will NOT pass CA emissions as longtubes are NOT CARB approved.

I'd like to see your car on the road course against a STOCK GT. after losing horribly you'd need new rotors as they would be badly warped.
My car on the other hand will not have any issues. It out accelerates, brakes, and out handles a stock Boss 302.

It also rides/drives smoother than stock and is quieter (interior volume) as well.

You built a strip/street car that does not perform as well as stock in certain aspects. (braking/handling)
I built a 'Super GT' that out performs stock in every performance aspect. Hell, it even gets better fuel economy than stock thanks to my programming.

Last edited:

kdanner

Banned
Sadly, you are mistaken.
Reservior is removed and weighed in at 8lbs full of fluid. The bottle weighs hardly anything so the same weight can be saved by simply draining the tank.

Only the side seat airbags have been removed as I hav aftermarket Carbeau seats. All other airbags are still there AND fully functional.

I have scales at my shop. Car weighed 3430lbs without driver on the RaceStars and 3/4 tank of gasoline.
I've since swapped to Weld RTS's with bias fronts (dropped 25lbs)
Girodisc 2-piece rotors (18 lbs dropped)
And swapped back to E85 (1lb per gallon gained)
I've also gained 5lbs myself. LOL

Changing your story? Previously you said it was 3500 with driver with a lesser fuel load. Now the car is heavier?

One of your posts on modularfords from 11/10 says "3500lb Race weight with 1/2 tank of fuel and driver (roughly 200lbs removed from stock)". Same thread you said you're on E85. Close approximations for weights are 6.1 lbs for gasoline, 6.6 lbs for ethanol. That puts E85 at about 6.5 lbs per gallon, or 0.4 more than gas.

If I use your numbers in this thread, it is 3430-25-18+3.6+5= 3395.6 with no driver and 3/4 tank E85.

If I use your modfords figure of 3500 then apply these same changes from this thread, it is 3500-25-18+26+5=3488 WITH driver and 3/4 tank E85.

I don't think you weigh less than 100 lbs suited, based on pictures and videos I've seen 150 lbs might be a close approximation for you. If I'm correct about that, then the previous 3500 minus 150, minus the 25 and 18 above comes out to 3307 for the car with half a tank. I'm already within about 100 lbs of my number just using what little numbers you've given and having never seen the car to see what else is taken off of it. I don't believe for a second that there isn't more, you're the guy who uses STD dyno numbers, certainly you're going to do what you can to get track numbers too.

Does the car run good, hell yes it does. But, it's the reasons like this that I question you Shaun. Different stories on the weight, no timeslip, no video, even though there is video of another run the same day. Didn't get a timeslip or video but you have the ability to remember every incremental flashed up on a scoreboard down to the thousandth, WHILE BANGING GEARS? If you're memory/concentration is that good, you'd be able to remember what it weighs too.

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
You're arguing over 100 pounds? That difference, less than 3%, I'm sure is captured by differences in the tolerances of the scales he has at his shop and what's at the track.

kdanner

Banned
You're arguing over 100 pounds? That difference, less than 3%, I'm sure is captured by differences in the tolerances of the scales he has at his shop and what's at the track.

100 lbs is pretty important to me. Must be to Sean too based on all the weights of components I've seen him post in the past. It's clear we both pay close attention to weight.

SVTPete83

Established Member
This is too funny. Now they are even trying to guess Shaun's weight lol

Shaun@AED

I weigh 125lbs soaking wet.

Even at 6.5lbs/gallon 5 gallons makes up the difference.

3500lbs was an approximation as it was more closer to 3525lbs w/driver.
Track scales aren't accurate enough for me, but they said 3540lbs w/driver before swapping the racestars and brakes.

I haven not had the car at the shop recently with the slicks/skinnies or I'd have an accurate weight on E85.

However......your 3200lb car weight is WAY out of line.

I can list the entire weight reducing items here w/weight removed (based on fading memory):

Strut bar removal: 8lbs
Windshield wiper motor/reservior/arms: 15lbs
Steeda Radiator support: 10lbs
Dynotech AL driveshaft: 19lbs
Carbeau FX1-Pro's w/bracket (29lbs each): 42lbs
Weld RTS's 17/15" combo with bias ply tires: 85lbs
Rear seat delete: 16lbs
Rear seatbelt removal: 7lbs
Rear end weights: 4.5lbs
Steeda Ultralight springs: 4lbs
Steeda bumpsteer kit: 2lbs
Steeda panhard/brace: 6lbs
Removal of trunk items (brembo air compressor): 6-8lbs maybe?
JPC over the axle pipes: 7lbs
Lethal off-road H-pipe: 15-20lbs pretty easily, but not sure exactly
Interior floor mats: 2-3lbs
Fog lights (grille): 2lbs
Misc crap in the center console/glove box: 1-2lbs
Girodisc Rotors: 18lbs
Sound tube: ???
Electric water pump: ???
MGW shifter: Probably added weight
E85: added weight

Total weight reduction based on the list: ~263 give or take a few.

The car came in and weight dead nuts 3605 on a near empty fuel tank bone stock from the dealer.
Take off 263 and we're down to 3342. Add 10 gallons of fuel and we're at 3400, a FAR cry from 3200lbs Add driver mod, 3525....give or take a few as I'm probably missing a few misc small items that reduced weight + I may not be remembering all the actual weight differences correctly. So, 3525lbs +/- 10% of the reduction vale of 263, which nets a race weight of: 3500-3550lbs.

My goal *Was* 3400lbs w/driver but I don't see how I can get there while still keeping this car as good/nice as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread