Fast Food workers strike across America

Commbubba19

because racecar....crash
Established Member
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-fast-food-workers-strike-20140903-story.html

cwm13.gif

Fast-food workers from Los Angeles to New York City are escalating their fight for better pay with strikes, rallies and acts of civil disobedience..

More than 100 fast-food workers converged on a McDonald's in Exposition Park before dawn Thursday to join a nationwide protest for better wages. They went inside the store for 10 minutes as workers stood stone-faced behind the cash registers.

The protesters held up signs and chanted slogans like "Get up! Get down! Fast-food workers run this town!" near a scrum of media trucks outside the empty McDonald's.

Fanny Velazquez, 36, said she was participating in the rally Thursday to fight for better wages to support her family. A single mother with three children, ages 11, 14 and 16, she said she struggles to make her $9.34-an-hour pay cover all the bills.

The South Los Angeles resident has been working at McDonald's for eight years doing a variety of jobs, usually working 20 hours a week. But lately, Velazquez said, the company has often cut her hours to 15 a week. She also qualifies for Welfare and food assistance.

"It's difficult, it's not enough to pay my bills," she said.

A series of protests funded in part by the Service Employees International Union and local activist groups have sought to spotlight the plight of low-wage workers and push for higher pay.

In New York City, a crowd of about 300 converged outside a McDonald's near Times Square at the height of morning rush hour, briefly blocking West 42nd Street. Police arrested about two dozen of the protesters.

And in Chicago, about two dozen protesters were arrested near a McDonald's where 150 protesters gathered.

McDonald’s said in a statement that it respected “everyone’s rights to peacefully protest” and supported “paying our valued employees fair wages.”

The fast-food chain said minimum wage is a discussion affecting the entire country, not just one company, and should be considered within a broader context of issues, including the impact of the Affordable Care Act.

“We believe that any minimum wage increase should be implemented over time so that the impact on owners of small and medium-sized businesses – like the ones who own and operate the majority of our restaurants – is manageable,” the company said. McDonald’s pointed out that it does not set wages for its more than 3,000 franchisees in the U.S.

Many fast-food chains and independent restaurants have said that a $15 hourly wage would lead to big price increases on their menus or make it impossible to eke out a profit. Some have accused the SEIU of pushing these protests as a publicity stunt.

Organizers say protests will be occurring at other fast-food restaurants in Los Angeles throughout Thursday, part of a nationwide day of walkouts and rallies for better pay for workers.

Edgar Gonzalez, 22, is hopeful that the protests will help ensure a better future for his family. He and his girlfriend both work at McDonald's -- she is a manager, while he works in maintenance. Together, they can still barely afford to cover all their expenses, especially with a 4-month-old daughter, he said.

"Sometimes we find whatever change there is to buy formula, wipes, diapers," the Inglewood resident said. He said they often make the choice between paying rent and buying healthy food to eat.

Burger King workers were also planning to walk out to demand the $15-an-hour wage, organizers said.

Fast-food employees in more than 100 cities around the country were to participate in the protests, the latest in a series of one-day walkouts this year.

"Fast food is an industry that is doing exceedingly well, and workers feel they are in a good position to bargain for $15 an hour," said Marqueece Harris-Dawson, president of Community Coalition, a local advocacy group in South L.A. that is participating in the local protests. "Workers of different stripes have been pressing to raise the conversation about the low end of the wage scale."

Home-care workers are also joining in some Thursday protests in an effort to widen the movement, although none are participating in Los Angeles.

The fight for a living wage and higher minimum pay has gained steam this year as rallies, sit-ins and strikes have raised awareness of the issue.

In June, Seattle leaders voted to raise the city's minimum wage to $15 an hour, the highest minimum of any metropolis in the country. The Los Angeles Unified School District signed a contract in July to raise its minimum wage to $15 an hour by 2016, which will boost the earnings of its lowest-paid employees, including custodians and cafeteria workers.

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti is pushing for a $13.25 minimum wage for all workers in L.A. by 2017. California's current minimum wage is $9 an hour.

On Labor Day, President Obama touched on the fast-food movement during a speech in Milwaukee.

"All across the country right now there's a national movement going on made up of fast-food workers organizing to lift wages so they can provide for their families with pride and dignity," he said Monday. "There is no denying a simple truth. America deserves a raise."

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
An understanding of basic economics and acceptance of personal responsibility.

What are two things that seem to be missing in a great number of people these days Alex?

nxhappy

Established Member
This is the problem with America. People are fat and ****ing lazy. Nobody has work ethic.

Hey lady, want a better paying job? Get a damn college degree and find a real job. Stop being lazy !!!!

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
if you barely clear $9 an hour and get to work 20 hours a week maybe you should quit popping out kids

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
These types of demonstrations are only going to lead to a quicker roll-out of automated food retail positions.

The fact is that food retail always has been and always will be a transitional type job meant for teens and those looking for gainful employment. By taking this track to try and reward yourself with better pay, without earning it, you'll force the company to replace your job all together. McDonalds isn't going to fight this wage battle when the technology is already there to simply replace the position.

mikecobra01

Established Member
Maybe people need to go get a real job, and/or stop having kids 24/7.

I'll be pissed if some lazy ass person at McDonald's end up making the same or more than I do per hour.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
This is the problem with America. People are fat and ****ing lazy. Nobody has work ethic.

Hey lady, want a better paying job? Get a damn college degree and find a real job. Stop being lazy !!!!

I would postulate you don't even have to get a college degree. It just requires work ethic.

My father in law runs a water district here in Colorado. They currently have two jobs open that pay a decent starting wage ($17.11 per hour) and all that is required is cleaning of some equipment, some grounds work here and there and the ability to shovel and aid a main line break crew. They can't even get applications for these jobs.

He tells me this and I have to squint my eyes. Over $35,000 starting, just to clean some trucks and pick up some trash and there are no takers.

SHOdown220

Established Member
So let's put this in perspective, we give all McDonald's workers 15 an hour, in turn McDonald's has to raise prices to cover additional overhead for employees, people decide they don't want to pay 3 or 4 dollars for a burger that tastes like it should cost a quarter, business plummets, and said higher paid employees get laid off and then tax payers get to spend even more money giving them unemployment money. Did I miss anything there?

nxhappy

Established Member
I believe they raised min. wage in Seattle to $15/hr. LOL

guess what's happening? People are getting LESS HOURS because no one can afford to pay their employees. Eventually this will cause inflation and the cost of living will rise. These people just don't ****ing get it. I am furious.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Let's see, working less than 20 hours a week and making 9.34 an hour. Yup, no need to get a second job to work more hours or find a better paying job, just lobby to have your wage increased so you can live a lavish lifestyle without working for it.

Anyone wanna lobby for higher engineering wages with me?

nxhappy

Established Member
I would postulate you don't even have to get a college degree. It just requires work ethic.

My father in law runs a water district here in Colorado. They currently have two jobs open that pay a decent starting wage ($17.11 per hour) and all that is required is cleaning of some equipment, some grounds work here and there and the ability to shovel and aid a main line break crew. They can't even get applications for these jobs.

He tells me this and I have to squint my eyes. Over $35,000 starting, just to clean some trucks and pick up some trash and there are no takers.

This is true. My point being is that Americans are really stupid and uneducated, for the most part.

It just boggles my mind that these ass hats want more money for flipping burgers. Good paying jobs are out there, you just have to have initiative to grab one. Most of which require a minimum of a bachelor's degree.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member

I would have taken that job in a heart beat over working fast food as long as the hours were flexible for college.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
article did say she got assistance

I missed that one, glad to see I wasn't wrong though.

Its funny to think that these people honestly believe a job like mcdonalds is going to support them. No, its the type of job someone in high school takes to earn some work experience.

chao5.0

Established Member
These types of demonstrations are only going to lead to a quicker roll-out of automated food retail positions.

The fact is that food retail always has been and always will be a transitional type job meant for teens and those looking for gainful employment. By taking this track to try and reward yourself with better pay, without earning it, you'll force the company to replace your job all together. McDonalds isn't going to fight this wage battle when the technology is already there to simply replace the position.

I hope the automated machines are coming soon, at least then I have a chance at getting my order right.

these people better think twice about what they are asking for, more money means the companies will be less inclined to keep them instead of the machines then they will be out of these jobs.

BMR Tech

I am going to request an 95% raise to my boss here in a few hours.

It was nice knowing you guys, I am sure the person who takes my spot will be great!

Wait...

Users who are viewing this thread