Fall 2017 GT500 supercharged voodoo, 10 speed auto and....

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
My opinion is that Ford is not looking to compete with the $100K Demon. And with the ZL1 selling below MSRP ($63K) and having a very nice mechanical setup (subjective/aesthetic measures aside), if Ford puts something out with MSRP+ADM over $75K, my opinion is they may not sell that many. Particulary, when you consider that unlike 2003 and 2007, they are not the only game in hi-po city!

i agree with the folks who say 700+ TT Coyote variant. And if the price and features are not competitive with the gen6 ZL1, it still will not interest me, and I have been waiting a long time. Still driving my 08 GT500! Produce something that exceeds the ZL1 at the same price and I may part with $65K plus TTL. Otherwise, I can have a lot of fun with $65K in many, many ways!

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Like others said, I would hope Ford would be more innovative than to just slap some turbos on a 5.0 and calling it a day. They have spoiled us by offering up the top dog Mustang with a bespoke engine. With all the cookies they dropped in the photo of the '18 display cluster, it might be a high-revving little 289 with some form of boost.

Clemson

Established Member
7L direct injection with blower and turbos making 1000 wheel hp. Of course it will come with 285 rubber and a sh11ty remote shifter, but who cares, 1000 HP baby!!!!!

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
@ gtpremi you mean 5.0 with a blower slapped on? Throwing twins on it would be groundbreaking for the American muscle scene.

Throwing a blower on it would be status quo. That's been the go to since 2003.

If ford gets twins to work on the new gt500, it will sell out on week one.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Twins would be a first by an American manufacturer for a premium v8 model.

It would be as impressive as AMG's and BMW M's v8 tt's. If they manage 725hp, it would be exceptional. It doesn't need to compete with the demon.

Ford has offered an 8 second cobra jet for 5+ years now. You can put street tags on it with a few tweaks. This isn't saying dodge didn't do great, it's saying don't get caught up in the marketing. People have already made street legal cobra jets.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
image.png
Let's avoid the bs retorts that I must be mistaken before they start.

Carry on.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Twins would be a first by an American manufacturer for a premium v8 model.

It would be as impressive as AMG's and BMW M's v8 tt's. If they manage 725hp, it would be exceptional. It doesn't need to compete with the demon.

Ford has offered an 8 second cobra jet for 5+ years now. You can put street tags on it with a few tweaks. This isn't saying dodge didn't do great, it's saying don't get caught up in the marketing. People have already made street legal cobra jets.

I don't know about the Mercs, but BMW's ttV8s have some fierce turbo lag off idle. Then the boost hits way too hard, and breaks the rear loose. I've experienced it on track.

A turbo V8 Mustang would certainly be "interesting," but the power delivery wouldn't be anywhere near as linear as with a PD blower. That said, I think I'd be fine with either one. I'd prefer some snails just for a change, though.

Sent from my STV100-1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
You stated that 15+ mustang 5.0 motors with aftermarket blowers are making 800rwhp with no issues.

I'm stating Ford can't do this based on what I stated above. The aftermarket does not have EPA rules or liability issues to pay for when things go wrong.

Yes the 5.0 with blower or twins will be a hell of a beast. But the fact remains the aftermarket will always put down more power.

Your first rebut to my post was something about how Ford puts their motors through 300 hours of full throttle tests and that the FI Coyote wouldnt last.

Now you are talking about smog, EPA, and profitability? Da fug???

Nice move on the bait and switch.

Fourcam380

Established Member
I don't know about the Mercs, but BMW's ttV8s have some fierce turbo lag off idle. Then the boost hits way too hard, and breaks the rear loose. I've experienced it on track.

A turbo V8 Mustang would certainly be "interesting," but the power delivery wouldn't be anywhere near as linear as with a PD blower. That said, I think I'd be fine with either one. I'd prefer some snails just for a change, though.

Sent from my STV100-1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Even the M157s (5.5L Biturbo V8s) didn't lag, the hot V 4.0L M177 and M178 don't either, twin scrolls and VGT help, as does the ability to run a higher static C/R with DI. Factory turbos for the M157 and some M177s and M178s are smaller to help reduce lag as well. You can see the M157 hang its tongue out at ~5500rpm.

ECU only M157 Biturbo Dyno:

m157.JPG

618/740rw SAE on 93 pump.

Here's that tune only F488 Before/After dyno (3.9, DI 4v V8 Conventional TT), notice also you don't need rpm with FI, that goes for blowers and turbos. Unless it's all out race, there's no sense in adding such significant additional stress to the engine and driveline. Ultimately the F488 is quickest when short shifted shy of it's ultimate electronic redline:

F488ECUOnly.JPG

Twins please.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
The audi S6 and S7 TT v8s are running 10s at over 130 mph on a tune only.... i 2nd the motion for twins!

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
The 15+ Coyote motors are extremely strong and will take 7-800whp without flexing.... roughly the same as a 5.4/5.8. There are actually several examples of 15+ motors taking 900+ on the dyno. Guys have gone 150+ mph in the 1/4. The motors are stout and bad ass.

11-14 coyotes had inferior rods and were only good for about 700 max before they'd wobble.

The 5.4/5.8 is old tech. Heads dont flow as good, vavles are too small, ECU capability is not as strong as the Copperhead in the Coyotes, no adjustable vavle timing... the list goes on and on.

The new GT500 WILL have Ford's latest tech and you can bet it will be some Coyote variant of a motor.

I quote full quotes as to not confuse anyone.
5.0 coyotes make good power, stronger than blown 5.8 of the 13 gt500.
However the aftermarket that is creating the 700/800hp 5.0 will not pass Fords durability testing nor the EPA regulations.

I know aftermarket Coyotes can put down huge power numbers, and I have little concern with a SC or TT 5.0 or 5.2 durability-wise. However, I do have a concern with the amount of power you can ultimately get on pump gas while passing all of Ford's long term and worst-case-scenario testing.

Let's face it, you can only put so much heat and pressure on pump gas before it detonates. That is ultimately going to be your limiting factor. The demon makes 840 hp on race gas, but only 808 on pump gas, and that's with a 6.2L. Getting the same or more air and fuel pumped through a SC 5.0 or 5.2 requires even more cylinder pressure. I'm not sure gasoline can take it.

Direct Injection will help (extend what can be done on pump gas before detonating). Higher RPM will allow a higher peak hp number, but ultimately I believe Turbos will be the magic bullet that is needed. It takes over 200hp to drive a PD blower at these power levels. Turbos will require much less. So while the Demon will have to make over 1000 hp in order to net 800 (due to the parasitic loss from the SC), a turbo engine would only have to make 875 or so to net the same output. This would allow the smaller 5.0-5.2 to run cylinder pressures similar to the Demon (and below pump gas thresholds) and still net similar power output.

Now I'm a PD blower guy. I love them. They are my favorite power adder and my first choice 100% of the time. I hope the next FPV Mustang has one, but if it's 840+ hp you're after while being OEM level bad-gas safe, I believe you'll need either turbos or more cubes...and Ford doesn't have any performance-ready offering in the stable with more cubes unless they I make a tall deck Coyote (a la the 5.4 version of the 4.6). I just don't see that happening, but I'm a pessimist.

See above.

Sure they make a little power, however to sell, pass all green regulations, and warranty it all without losing your ass takes more than putting a blower on a 5.0 at 700rwhp and hope it last 10k miles.
Fords own pass/fail test on all its motors are 300 hours straight many of those hours(more than half) at wot.

Show me one of these aftermarket blown 5.0 motors that can pass this at the same time passing EPA regs.

Good post!

They do make 800hp meaning the aftermarket blown Turbo 5.0. They don't need to pass the 300 straight hours running like the test Ford puts on them. They don't have to pass the EPA regulations either.

Yes Ford can make a blown 5.0 but it will have less power than the 800hp aftermarket based on the above reasons.

Your first rebut to my post was something about how Ford puts their motors through 300 hours of full throttle tests and that the FI Coyote wouldnt last.

Now you are talking about smog, EPA, and profitability? Da fug???

Nice move on the bait and switch.

No bait and switch. If you think you can build a better car than Ford go ahead and do it.

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
And to those who think that Ford cannot solve the engineering on a smallish displacement TT 8-cyl, I am reminded of what people might have said regarding a FPC 5.2 liter's possibilities. Ford may just continue to do what the other guy's don't!

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
There are ways around it. Its a pain in the butt but doable if you have the time and extra money.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Well, like I said, I certainly wouldn't be turned off by a small displacement V8. As long as it makes the necessary power, I'd welcome one. That little 4L in the E90/92 M3 is glorious, and like mentioned above, some serious power can be had out of Audi's 4L TTV8. Heck, look at what McLaren is getting out of it's little 3.8.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd be happy with a GT350 like package with the new '18 MY updates and the 10-speed with a FI dual injection Coyote.
TT>2.65 TVS and 5.2>>5.0 to me personally, but either way I'd be happy.
Ford needs a GT500 out ASAP.
And remember, the '68 GT500 KR.
A 50th anniversary for the King of the Road GT500KR sounds good to me.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread