Fake Car Noise

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
What proof is there that the market "wants" it? It's not like the manufacturers gave consumers the option of having it or not having it. I'm sure if there was an option box on the order sheet to have or not have fake sound piped in, NOBODY would check that box.

They do studies and read reviews. People say they want more engine tone but manufacturers cant just produce cars with the equivalent of aftermarket exhausts in terms of dB to achieve this, so this is their only alternative.

If you didnt do it as a standard, then yeah, nobody would check the box because it would be a $750 option and thats stupid. Doing it on EVERY car is probably $5 once you amortize R&D, Material and labor costs and run the numbers out.

Like I said, most consumers that want better tone dont care how its achieved.

OhIIICobra

Established Member
If there was no market for fake sounds then everyone's phone would still sound like this:

[video=youtube;xfxGYKG9_QA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfxGYKG9_QA[/video]

I'm sure the same people who pay for different ringtones would pay for different engine sounds. They will probably evolve this tech into a selectable option: 4 barrel, whistle tip LOL, coffee can, lopey-cam pushrod, centrifugal supercharger, roots supercharger.

Blown 89

Established Member
I don't have a problem with it. It's no different than tuning or amplifying the sound with an exhaust. As long as it sounds natural I'm sure that after a few days of driving you'll forget it's even there.

I'd love to have a switch that could turn off the sound of my Mustang when I'm one the phone or listening to podcasts. The caddy is so sound deadened I have to open the windows and roof to hear the aftermarket exhaust. It sucks that inside the car it's dead quiet but to everyone else outside it sounds like the devil's battle cry.

stangposse

Established Member
Like hell the markets want it. Whomever told you this has taken you for the fool of all fools. It's an outright atrocity in most cases. It was an outrage when it was first discovered and its clear it wasn't market driven since it was NEVER advertised at first. That news dropped like a bomb when it was first discovered and written about. When I heard the big bad M5 was pushing engine sound through the speakers I wanted to puke. I'll admit, it did sound pretty good in the BMW I8, but I somewhat was ready for it and it only has like a 1.8 liter or less under the hood to charge the battery. I can see it in an electric/hybrid car, but in a gas motor its a joke and something to be ashamed of if not disabled.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Like hell the markets want it. Whomever told you this has taken you for the fool of all fools. It's an outright atrocity in most cases. It was an outrage when it was first discovered and its clear it wasn't market driven since it was NEVER advertised at first. That news dropped like a bomb when it was first discovered and written about. When I heard the big bad M5 was pushing engine sound through the speakers I wanted to puke. I'll admit, it did sound pretty good in the BMW I8, but I somewhat was ready for it and it only has like a 1.8 liter or less under the hood to charge the battery. I can see it in an electric/hybrid car, but in a gas motor its a joke and something to be ashamed of if not disabled.

Sound is sound, why does it matter how it is produced?

Do you mod your exhaust to sound good to you, because if your ass is in the drivers seat and you hear an awesome exhaust tone, what does it matter where its originating from?

Or do you mod your car to impress others? Is that it? Because the only difference in hearing tone from speakers or from the tailpipe is from the tailpipe, everyone around you has to be forced to hear your exhaust too. Some people like us like it, but most of the world doesnt. Its no more annoying to some as when some gangster pulls up to a pack of traffic with stupid loud bass and forces everyone to hear his shitty music selection, or when your latino neighbors blast the songs of their people all weekend. Yet the guy with longtubes, o/r X and loudest catback that sounds like taco bell shits is exempt from this type of douchebaggery?

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
The market wants quieter cars. Take a basic car from the 70's and compare it with a Corolla or Civic today. The newer car will be much more enjoyable to drive because it rides better, is quieter, has more amenities, etc. Yet half of the people on this site will complain because you can't feel the road and can't hear the engine. 98% of people don't care about that stuff. The good thing is you can mod your car to make it perform how you want.

Why would the manufacturer make a car for only 2% of the population? Doesn't seem like a good business plan to me.

The manufacturers aren't pumping fake engine sounds into civics and corollas. This is a discussion pertaining to the performance/sporty cars receiving the treatment and the market that buys those vehicles.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member

You are correct. It was not advertised because the market has not indicated they want artificial sound. If the manufacturer could have their way the consumer would not find out and I suspect subtle efforts will be made to dull awareness.

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member

I don't think whoever said "the market wants it" was referring to the fake noise. I think they were referring to people wanting the real sound. As soon as news got out the Ford GT, Raptor, etc... were going to have a tt V6, some of you were complaining "we want the sound of a V8"

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
When the new Ford GT comes out with the V6EB...it may sound like poop...at anything but full song...which you won't be doing much on the street. With the engine so far back and a short unrestricted exhaust pumping a brassy sound...I wouldn't fault Ford for trying to enhance interior and exterior sound. Digitally? No. By creative exhaust routing and resonance? Yes. Porsche sound pretty good on the street when they are muffled a bit. We shall see. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Ford "engineered" the sound...just for sound's sake.

10splaya22

Established Member
The manufacturers aren't pumping fake engine sounds into civics and corollas. This is a discussion pertaining to the performance/sporty cars receiving the treatment and the market that buys those vehicles.

I know, I meant the market wants quieter vehicles where you can't hear every bit of road and wind noise. I'm pretty sure no one wants to hear that. As a result the cabins are quieter (which people want) so they have to pump in fake sound so the engine sounds can be heard. They can't make the exhaust louder because it may not pass federal limits. The manufacturers don't have many options. Fortunately you do as a consumer, you can put an aftermarket exhaust on and get the sound back.

CaDDy

Banned
My ST has a sound tube. I definatly noticed that it was quite loud in the cabin for a stock 4 banger. I personally don't mind it. The damper/valve only opens at a certain throttle position so it's not obnoxious. A pre recorded sound being pumped through my speakers would be a different story, especially if the car costs triple what my ST does. We can only hope car makers don't get too carried away with the artificial crap. I like big naturals.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
You are correct. It was not advertised because the market has not indicated they want artificial sound. If the manufacturer could have their way the consumer would not find out and I suspect subtle efforts will be made to dull awareness.

Its not an advertised feature. Its part of the cars basic design now. Its like advertising steering wheel controls, they just started popping up on cars and nobody really made it an "option" or a "selling point" as far as I recall. Or advertising the muffler tone. Nobody advertises muffler tone but subconsciously if you get in a car at a dealer and it sounds nicer, you are more inclined to like it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
5 years from now you'll bring up a menu and select what you want your car to sound like from a dozen selections. LOL.

As Mentos said above, I want real bacon, not turkey bacon.

Users who are viewing this thread