Fake Car Noise

10splaya22

Established Member
They have been doing this for years. Customers want quieter cars yet some want to hear their engine more. This solves both issues. If you have a problem with it, get an exhaust.

4601S/C

Established Member
Not a fan of it, but like 10splaya22 said; The market wants it, and the people buying the cars are the ones the manufacturers listen to. It's only going to become more prolific as cars get better. In terms of sports cars I'd rather hear the original soundtrack, instead Not the auto-tune version though.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
What proof is there that the market "wants" it? It's not like the manufacturers gave consumers the option of having it or not having it. I'm sure if there was an option box on the order sheet to have or not have fake sound piped in, NOBODY would check that box.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Yep, pretty lame. Kinda like having sex with a fleshlight, it probably feels good but deep down you want the real thing.

Last edited:

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
"the market wants it" lol. The market wants the real sound and thought they were getting it. Knowing it is artificial will not sit well with buyers. But the consumer has proven himself over and over to be ignorant. 90% of buyers will never know.

I did not know the Ecoboost Mustang was doing it before I heard one WOT inside the cabin. I thought it sounded great, now I know the sound is fake and I would rather listen to the terrible engine sound it makes.

Last edited:

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
I hate it in the Fiesta ST. I will most likely delete it when the time comes to start upgrading.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I can barely notice it in the vehicles we have with it. I have to be listening for it hear it. I'm too busy to care about it.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Most of the market doesnt care how they get some additional tone as long as its there, whether it be piping in intake tone, producing tone through speakers, etc.

You guys gotta remember, the people that actually mod their cars is a really small fraction of the consumer base.

Also see it from an OEM perspective, producing tone inside the cabin is an easier sell than a louder exhaust from the factory, especially when it comes to some cars that might not sound that great due to engine configuration. Many may be turned off on a test drive with a louder exhaust but getting more tone from the engine without a louder exhaust is an easier pill to swallow for most.

4601S/C

Established Member
What proof is there that the market "wants" it? It's not like the manufacturers gave consumers the option of having it or not having it. I'm sure if there was an option box on the order sheet to have or not have fake sound piped in, NOBODY would check that box.

Good point. I don't know if it's anything that the buyers have a say in, but they haven't raised enough of a stink yet to warrant a reaction from manufactures. More and more are adding it to their cars, not taking it out.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member

Negative, you are wrong. I bet you the same dudes that put fake badges on their cars would be the first in line to check the option box for the pretend engine sound. Lol..

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Negative, you are wrong. I bet you the same dudes that put fake badges on their cars would be the first in line to check the option box for the pretend engine sound. Lol..

Touche'

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
I never heard the sound in-car but I did stumble across a video a few weeks ago that tried to distinguish the sound with the amplifier vs without. Apparently there's a fuse you can disconnect to eliminate the "fake noise".

[video=youtube_share;e9AaFZwfeOU]http://youtu.be/e9AaFZwfeOU[/video]

10splaya22

Established Member
"the market wants it" lol. The market wants the real sound and thought they were getting it. Knowing it is artificial will not sit well with buyers. But the consumer has proven himself over and over to be ignorant. 90% of buyers will never know.

I did not know the Ecoboost Mustang was doing it before I heard one WOT inside the cabin. I thought it sounded great, now I know the sound is fake and I would rather listen to the terrible engine sound it makes.

The market wants quieter cars. Take a basic car from the 70's and compare it with a Corolla or Civic today. The newer car will be much more enjoyable to drive because it rides better, is quieter, has more amenities, etc. Yet half of the people on this site will complain because you can't feel the road and can't hear the engine. 98% of people don't care about that stuff. The good thing is you can mod your car to make it perform how you want.

Why would the manufacturer make a car for only 2% of the population? Doesn't seem like a good business plan to me.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
the ecoboost motors sound like crap. The least they can do is have a v8 sounding sound in the inside of the cabin that matches the rpms

Users who are viewing this thread