Fairweather friends

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I'm kind of bro-hurting today guys and could use either a pick me up, a shit me down, or advice I guess.

Long story short:

Best friend of many years thru thick and thin needs somewhere to live.
I buy my first home & offer him a place to stay and work on his cars and junk.
I make sure to include him in the whole home buying process/looking since you know.. best friend.
Right before moving in, his girlfriend gets "accidentally" pregnant. I say no problem you can stay & do the right thing.
They move in and continue to tell me they are staying till they buy a home.
Out of the blue they call me and say we are moving in with his parents and poof, they are gone.
Don't hear from him since then. (this was early July). Try to talk to him multiple times and he won't hang out, talk to me, or even acknowledge he's avoiding me. Keeps telling me I'm his best man in his wedding though.
I blow up because he calls me only when he needs me and acts like everything is cool. Despite him ignoring my calls, texts, and even conversations trying to get our friendship back.

Basically I told him to GFYS and never talk to me again. That I'm not his best friend, and that I don't want him around me, my girlfriend, or my home and family ever again. Shitty part is that he works for my dad.

He used the crap out of me and the girlfriend to spring board out of our home, then won't bother putting in any effort with our friendship afterwards. He continued to tell me he was super busy and then I hear he was drinking at the golf course the other day. Yea, busy my ass. IDK I could be in the wrong here but I feel hurt and abandoned. Theres a lot more to it but still, he refused to try and be my friend and used us.

Coiled03

Established Member
I don't blame you for blowing up. I probably would have too, although after a longer period of time. I'm way too tolerant about that kind of shit.

In any event, I'd wager there may be more going on on his end than you're aware of. If he really was your BFF, it's probably not worth throwing away the friendship over something like this.

Summary: I don't think you were in the wrong, but don't toss a friendship over it.

Monkeygrits

Newb SVT Poster
Established Member
I'm kind of bro-hurting today guys and could use either a pick me up, a shit me down, or advice I guess.

Long story short:

Best friend of many years thru thick and thin needs somewhere to live.
I buy my first home & offer him a place to stay and work on his cars and junk.
I make sure to include him in the whole home buying process/looking since you know.. best friend.
Right before moving in, his girlfriend gets "accidentally" pregnant. I say no problem you can stay & do the right thing.
They move in and continue to tell me they are staying till they buy a home.
Out of the blue they call me and say we are moving in with his parents and poof, they are gone.
Don't hear from him since then. (this was early July). Try to talk to him multiple times and he won't hang out, talk to me, or even acknowledge he's avoiding me. Keeps telling me I'm his best man in his wedding though.
I blow up because he calls me only when he needs me and acts like everything is cool. Despite him ignoring my calls, texts, and even conversations trying to get our friendship back.

Basically I told him to GFYS and never talk to me again. That I'm not his best friend, and that I don't want him around me, my girlfriend, or my home and family ever again. Shitty part is that he works for my dad.

He used the crap out of me and the girlfriend to spring board out of our home, then won't bother putting in any effort with our friendship afterwards. He continued to tell me he was super busy and then I hear he was drinking at the golf course the other day. Yea, busy my ass. IDK I could be in the wrong here but I feel hurt and abandoned. Theres a lot more to it but still, he refused to try and be my friend and used us.
I dunno man. People lives change. My best friend from school and adulthood barely talks to me anymore. We get together every once in a while now. Used to come over every week, drink beer, and watch football/racing etc. He's now married and I'm married, both with kids. It's just how life goes. My wife is the same way as you. She gets pissed if her friends don't talk to her for a month or so. Automatically she thinks theyre mad. The people you hang out with will change as you get older. I don't get mad at my lifelong friends for not seeing them or talking to them. Life happens. When I see them we catch up and bullshit.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
IMG_6009.jpg

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I dunno man. People lives change. My best friend from school and adulthood barely talks to me anymore. We get together every once in a while now. Used to come over every week, drink beer, and watch football/racing etc. He's now married and I'm married, both with kids. It's just how life goes. My wife is the same way as you. She gets pissed if her friends don't talk to her for a month or so. Automatically she thinks theyre mad. The people you hang out with will change as you get older. I don't get mad at my lifelong friends for not seeing them or talking to them. Life happens. When I see them we catch up and bullshit.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

not only that but once they "find love" they tend to fall off as well. sometimes even when YOU enter a new relationship a friend will fade off. been there done that. him avoiding you isnt cool though. that probably has a lot do with his new woman. they tend to be whispering in the guys ear. seeing a friend go through this right now. practically alienating all his friends once he got married

08mojo

Established Member

Welcome to life, close friends that you see all the time slowly become acquaintances--but don't burn bridges, those people should still remain close to your heart. People grow-up and get so involved in their own lives, they no longer feel the need to rely on their friends to fill their time. My wife and I chose to not have kids--which means we are out of the 'club' with many of our friends that now have kids. It sucks, and it hurts, but as time goes on you realize that life changes for everyone.

Short answer for advice: try not to burn any bridges, and just let these type of people fade away.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I guess.

Thing is the guy and I went through a lot of hard times together. I make time for the people that I know should stay in my life. It's one thing to call someone a friend, or even a best friend, but he was more like my brother. Y'all can poke fun but reality he turned his back to me in a lot of ways after I stuck my neck out for him quite a bit.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Do you have kids? Im guessing not.

Once you have kids priorities change, all the bullshit petty nonsense like this becomes meaningless almost over night.

Life is too short. Dont sweat the small stuff.

I can guarantee i have childhood friends who share your sentiment about your friend with regards to me ( i bet we all do).

Too bad!

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Is it possible that he is just sorting some shit out and does not actually mean to "diss"?

Maybe give the guy a chance to either explain his behavior with a legit argument before the axe?

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Honestly, don't let that shit even be on your radar. In the grand scheme, it does not matter and should not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread