Factory driver side cobra emblem... Which ways it face?

Wish4svts

Established Member
Does the factory emblem face left or right? Is it the same for 96-98?

Last edited:

GodStang

Established Member
I thought he was talking about the Grille Emblem since that comes up weekly. I guess I should read better. Yes the Snakes on the 94-11 face forward.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Do a search this is asked weekly. It does not matter most like it to face the same direction as the seats but others like it to face the other way. Their is no set standard.

Wrong it does matter.

All cobra snakes from 94 - on ->face forward, therefor they are available in right and left. Forward is toward the front of the car and will be different depending on what side you are standing on.

The exception is the first SVT Cobra Mustangs... on the 93s there was no right and left available for them then. So the driver side faces forward and the passenger faces backward... only on 1993 SVT Cobra Mustangs.

Next contestant?

Wish4svts

Established Member
Sorry I did a quick search but it just came up with a bunch of grille emblem threads.

I understand everyone has their preference but I wanted to know what it was from the factory?

mrose75

Established Member
I have seen post where allegedly the original owners had the Cobra emblems facing rearward. Well, that is at least how my well documented faulty memory recalls these posts. I know I have seen pictures of them on "backwards", I believe the story that went along with them is that is how the original owner always had them. Fun Friday at the Ford Facotry during production maybe :shrug:??

GodStang

Established Member
Wrong it does matter.

All cobra snakes from 94 - on ->face forward, therefor they are available in right and left. Forward is toward the front of the car and will be different depending on what side you are standing on.

The exception is the first SVT Cobra Mustangs... on the 93s there was no right and left available for them then. So the driver side faces forward and the passenger faces backward... only on 1993 SVT Cobra Mustangs.

Next contestant?

I thought he was talking about the Grille Emblem since that comes up weekly. I guess I should read better. Yes the Snakes on the 94-11 FENDORS face forward.

Last edited:

RAPTOR5V

Firing on all 8
Established Member
I have seen post where allegedly the original owners had the Cobra emblems facing rearward. Well, that is at least how my well documented faulty memory recalls these posts. I know I have seen pictures of them on "backwards", I believe the story that went along with them is that is how the original owner always had them. Fun Friday at the Ford Facotry during production maybe :shrug:??
yup remember this too

Wish4svts

Established Member
Wrong it does matter.

But why would ford do that? It just looks funny to me when ALL the cobras face to the right (other fender, 03/04 seats, floor mats, intake) except that one.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
But why would ford do that? It just looks funny to me when ALL the cobras face to the right (other fender, 03/04 seats, floor mats, intake) except that one.

SVT was a small fraction of Mustang production and they were developed within a short time window.
They did not have right and left snakes to choose from.
I'm not sure of the 1993 Cobra fender snake part numbers buy I'm thinking they went back to the old parts bins and used the old C9OZ 16228 snakes from the old 68 and 69 Cobra Fairlanes and Torinos.

The Mustang value resurgence of early mustangs had already taken place in the early 80s and Ford had reissued lots of 60s and 70s Mustang related parts to cash in on all the restorations.
I'm not at a parts department right now so I can't verify my theory, as to the 93 part numbers.
I'm pretty sure though that, that is why.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Over the years there have been posts showing a fender mounted snake facing to the rear, so the question would arise why is one facing to the front and one to the back. Often it was a case where a body repair was done and the shop simply used the wrong emblem (there is both a left and a right facing snake).

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Thanks, because my memory can be rather questionable at times. IIRC, it was a ZY Cobra in one of the pics. No body work involved, original owner.

It's simply a UAW mess up, nothing more nothing less.

I have seen Thunderbirds with Cougar emblems on one side, and vise versa.
Mountaineer on one side Explorer on the other.
Grand Marquis and Crown Vic.
Contour and Mystique, ETC.

Hardly ever see it anymore but it used to happen enough to see maybe one a year in a big city dealer.

There are right and left snakes, if they face backwards, SOMEONE put them on wrong, whether it is a body shop or a UAW worker. Unless it's a 93 on the passenger side.

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
When my wife's '94 pace car was painted the body shop (which did a fantastic job of painting the car) put the emblems on backward so they both face the rear of the car. I didn't really notice till sometime later. I guess I was so geeked about getting the car back from the paint shop that it just slipped right by me. Oh well, it happens.
One of these days I'll have to go out to the shop with a heat gun and turn those darn snakes around. Git along little snakey!

Ray H.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
first time I saw a 93 Cobra and it had the passenger side Cobra facing backwards I though something was wrong with it.. asked the owner and he said it came like that.. (nice looking teal with low miles) beautiful car..

Users who are viewing this thread