F250 help

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
Just get a diesel, better performance, mileage and durability. I like my Lightning and she can tow the 5.0, but 10-12mpg on premium don't cut it when a diesel can do it on 15-16mpg. The guy I mentioned earlier on buying one for $27k, he got rid of a 96 F350 with the 460 fuel injected in it. The truck would go down to 2nd on a hill with a 30' gooseneck. The new one won't even come out of od and can pretty much pass up the truck lanes while the other one was trying to get out of the way.

fullofvenom

Established Member
Pulling anything with the 5.4 will make it work so hard you'll loose any gas mileage advantage over the 6.8. I had a 2002 regular car and it was a dog with a load on.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
true the gm v8 wont keep up with the ford v10 towing. but the v10 wont keep up with a psd towing. and the gm 6.0 will out work a ford 5.4. But for what he is looking to tow any motor will do just fine. a cobra on a trailer is what 5k-6k. so even a half ton will work. I use my diesel to tow 12.5k-15k on avg and at that weight you find out real quick if the truck can handle it. And my gm service body's weight in at 8k-9k and with the work truck package with 4.10 and a 6.0 gas are a great combo and get 8-12mpg. I use to be a die hard ford truck guy but after running work trucks from other mfg, i must say the gm's are put together well and have better interiors. i would run cummins if i could stand the dodge truck. just my .02:beer:

Actually the V10 pulls every bit as well as the PSD:

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/2007/shootout/hdshootout1.html

HomeboyNorm

Established Member
+1 for the Ford V-10.

I have an '03 Excursion 4x4 with the V-10 gas engine, and I love it. It pulls my 6,000 pounds (approx) boat just great. It is a pretty strong puller and a heavy duty one at that. It is definitely a good towing truck for me which also serve as the family vehicle. The only downside with the V-10 that I can see of is its fuel mileage, however it is not what you buy Super Duty trucks for.

S.O.B.

Sweet Old Bob!
Established Member
Sid I just glanced over some of the comparisions on that shoot out. On paper the v10 did ok, but the F350 has to weigh at least 1000-1500 more that the f250 gasser. That would make quite a bit of difference. To me the only real test would be exact trucks with the different powerplants. I still say the diesel will own the v10 in performance and towing mileage. JMO

Gix1k4

Established Member
I didn`t read all the replys, but my `04 has been mainly trouble free for me, and they have a long warranty. My engine warranty is 160,000kms. The only problem i`ve had is an EGR valve that plugged up, and it was covered under warranty. Alot of it is maintenance, most diesel techs I`ve spoken to say the same thing....Change the fuel filters every 2nd oil change, keep good clean oil and a quality air filter in it.

And as far as the v-10 goes....This is what I was told when I was shopping for a truck and I asked about the mpg of the v-10...

10 Loaded, 10 unloaded, 10 uphill and 10 downhill...:-D

Users who are viewing this thread