F1A 8-rib Build Thread

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
The radiator and the intercooler will need to be upgraded ! You will see soon enough .
Baby steps . lol
Its getting there .

At the limits of pump gas, the radiator will be just fine.

Are you sure? Looks exactly like the 2-core I just sold..:dw:

Well ...I was lied to by the seller. I guess I'll be upgrading to the three core. Do you have pictures of yours you just sold?

Linthemup

Established Member
At the limits of pump gas, the radiator will be just fine.

Well ...I was lied to by the seller. I guess I'll be upgrading to the three core. Do you have pictures of yours you just sold?

You see my pump gas tune .

Wait until the heat of summer kicks in , in traffic , and if you have the A/C !
Trust me you will see ! That blower makes a tremendous amount of heat .

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
You see my pump gas tune .

Wait until the heat of summer kicks in , in traffic , and if you have the A/C !
Trust me you will see ! That blower makes a tremendous amount of heat .

Time will tell. I'd hate to think what I have to do with the kit to shove a bigger radiator i there. :lol:

Linthemup

Established Member
Time will tell. I'd hate to think what I have to do with the kit to shove a bigger radiator i there. :lol:

I have plenty of pics..

Car416.jpg

Car411.jpg

Car413.jpg

4 fans . 2 push and 2 pull . It will fit , with a little finesse and imagination .

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
I see its mounted to the fiberglass/plastic grille piece? Is it mounted on the bottom or just hanging from that piece?

Linthemup

Established Member
I see its mounted to the fiberglass/plastic grille piece? Is it mounted on the bottom or just hanging from that piece?

Neither . We removed the front rectangle metal frame and installed a tubular 1.25 frame for the intercooler . Also mounted a aluminum mounting frame for the radiator . Ill have to take some close-ups .

SpittingCobra

Established Member

The one that came with the D1SC "HO" kit. It's a two core. That's why I got rid of it.
IMG_0062.jpg

I replaced it with this:

intercooler.jpg

And this is how it looks on my car. It's huge! SORRY I only have camera phone right now, car eats thousand dollar bills!!

0414092335a.jpg

0414092336.jpg

0414092337.jpg

Last edited:

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
The one that came with the D1SC "HO" kit. It's a two core. That's why I got rid of it. I replaced it with this:

Yeah, that'd be mine. :bash: I guess I'll be making a call to House of Boost today. :rockon: I'd like to have it installed before my dyno session. Thanks for the heads up! Yours is HUGE by the way. That is the 3-core race intercooler right? Did it come with all the mounting hardware? Was it easy to mount, or did custom brackets have to be made?

SpittingCobra

Established Member
That is the 3-core race intercooler right? Did it come with all the mounting hardware? Was it easy to mount, or did custom brackets have to be made?

Yes this is the 3-core sheetmetal race intercooler w/ 3.5" inlet/outlet diameter.

There is no mounting hardware really. Just some tabs on the tank. Which were for a fox body (the blue car in the pic it came off of).

It would have been a pain in the ass to mount even if I had the correct tabs! I had to cut off the old tabs and have some new ones welded on. The shop that welded the new stuff on didn't use the material I brought them because, "they know better" :bash: and used some gigantic 1/2" thick crap which I had to grind down and I couldn't even use the top mount!

I had to grind some parts of the radiator support down to fit it up higher. I don't like it hanging down where it can scrape like some people do (usually the small 2-cores because they want people to see it..)

I had to beat the corners of the radiator support in order to get the couplers to fit around that bend.

That's all I can remeber about it right now. It's $1200 from procharger, unless they dropped the price, so I wouldn't suggest it unless you find a used one!:thumbsup:

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
It's $1200 from procharger, unless they dropped the price, so I wouldn't suggest it unless you find a used one!:thumbsup:

I just got off the phone with them and its still that price. No thanks. I called up Treadstone and ordered their TR12, 4.5" thick intercooler for $315.
TR12 Intercooler - TREADSTONE PERFORMANCE

...guess its going back on jackstands and bumper is coming BACK off. :lol:

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I just got off the phone with them and its still that price. No thanks. I called up Treadstone and ordered their TR12, 4.5" thick intercooler for $315.

I've been looking for intercoolers to replace my procharger unit. I was looking at that exact treadstone unit. Interested to see how it works for you.

SpittingCobra

Established Member

4.5" thick? Sure that will fit in between the bumper and radiator support? I think the procharger one I have is only 3" thick and it's sandwiched in there. I don't think there's any more room width wise unless of course you're gonna cut up the bumper..?:eek:

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
4.5" thick? Sure that will fit in between the bumper and radiator support? I think the procharger one I have is only 3" thick and it's sandwiched in there. I don't think there's any more room width wise unless of course you're gonna cut up the bumper..?:eek:

If it is, I'll return it and get a smaller one. No big deal.

Users who are viewing this thread