F150 Coolant Ypipe fix

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Those of you that have an 11-20 F150 know what I'm talking about. The likely source of a coolant leak right next to tstat housing. Yes, Ford, lets take tried and true constant tension clamps and replace with clip style retention using O-rings that are prone to leaking on 2 out of 3 of the fittings. Oh, and lets make the y fitting out of plastic with a casting flaw so that if the oring doesn't fail, the housing will crack and leak instead. Yeah, I'm salty. LOL

Not an overly difficult fix, couple hours this weekend closely supervising my son on how to do it. Good experience for him.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Do all the different f-150 engines use those same hose clamp attachments or is it engine specific?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
after you fix this one the next leak will be from the coolant overflow tank quick disconnect. Things like this just lead to a bad ownership experience. And i doubt they saved more than 30 cents per truck in assembly time over the spring hose clamps.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Do all the different f-150 engines use those same hose clamp attachments or is it engine specific?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I know the 5.0's do from 11-20 I believe. I think the ecoboost does but I've not confirmed it on my 11 yet (the 5.0/12 model was my son's truck).
after you fix this one the next leak will be from the coolant overflow tank quick disconnect. Things like this just lead to a bad ownership experience. And i doubt they saved more than 30 cents per truck in assembly time over the spring hose clamps.
I've heard about that one but been lucky so far, I suppose.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Ford is actually late to the party with this. The car companies are trying to make assembly idiot proof and the hell with the consequences later.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Anyone have a picture of what these look like? I know I'll kick myself in the butt when I see one. I just can't picture them.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Anyone have a picture of what these look like? I know I'll kick myself in the butt when I see one. I just can't picture them.

You'll also need to replace the O-ring on the upper radiator hose where it connects to that pipe. They flatten out over time and start leaking. In fact, I'm pretty sure the leak on my son's truck was coming from there but I replaced the whole assembly to keep from having to go back in there. There's a second O-ring, but it's included in the part above. The connection to the stat housing is a traditional compression clamp. Best to split the old hose to get some flexibility as the assembly gets stiff over time and gets in a bind trying to get it off.

There's also a Dorman replacement that replaces the plastic with a cast metal section. I went with the linked one. It's made by gates.

04YellowGT

Established Member
I just did this fix on my 2015 5.0 F-150 like 3-4 months ago. Super easy fix. Yes its annoying why it needed replaced but I've put 102k miles on the truck and that was the only thing that has failed so far. It was like $60 in parts so cheap too.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I just did this fix on my 2015 5.0 F-150 like 3-4 months ago. Super easy fix. Yes its annoying why it needed replaced but I've put 102k miles on the truck and that was the only thing that has failed so far. It was like $60 in parts so cheap too.
My biggest complaint is the failure of the o-rings. Coolant hoses last a LOOOOONG time with a normal constant pressure clamp is used. We all know what happens to O-rings over time in pretty much any application.

Users who are viewing this thread