F-Body owner thinking of switching????

soon2be03

Established Member
Hey guys, I hope the title got you all in here. A couple of questions I am would like to ask before I finally sell my car and pick up an 03.

First.. Why do a lot of people tell me that the cobras fall on there faces at a high rpm?

Second...whats up with the traction issues on the cars and is there a lot of suspension out for them?

Third.... I know f-bodys run really well with low HP..IE 390rwhp can get great #. But why is there a huge # gap in with the 03/04 to the f-bodys and it just seems that the f-bodys always do better on the street.

-----------I think you guys can answer all those, I have just talked to some other f-body owners and they just laughed at me. There answer was "why wast your time on something that has to be supercharged just to keep up with us?" the other one said that he out runs them on the highway all the time.

So basically what I want out of the cobra is this...Full suspension, gears, shifter, and a KB. But I just dont know if the cars fall on there faces on the highway. thanks guys.

spdfrkFL

Track Addict
Established Member
I've never had my Cobra fall on it's face at high rpm's. She pulls hard up till in rev limiter kicks in. (the limiter is probably the reason)

The IRS loves to wheel hop. There are ways of fixing that! The car takes practice to launch.

Remember f-body's have 350ci and Cobra's have 281ci.

Good luck in your search.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Welcome to the forum! I'm an Ex-FBody guy myself. Had a '94 Z-28 heavily modified by Callaway Cars in Old Lyme, CT.

My 2003 Cobra never ran out of breath up top. Not when it was stock, nor when it made 504rwhp. Always strong thanks to the DOHC setup. As far as the suspension, click on the Red Pill in my signature. Although I never had a suspension/rear end issue with mine, when you're making more than 450 to the rear wheels it is recommended that you beef it up some because wheel hop is a killer with these cars.

Since you're going to become a new Terminator owner, pop over to my website and read my FAQ page. Here's the link. A lot of basic Cobra info is available there.
http://stangshiftergaskets.com/2003_2004faqs.htm

hurtindude

Banned
soon2be03 said:
Hey guys, I hope the title got you all in here. A couple of questions I am would like to ask before I finally sell my car and pick up an 03.

First.. Why do a lot of people tell me that the cobras fall on there faces at a high rpm?

Second...whats up with the traction issues on the cars and is there a lot of suspension out for them?

Third.... I know f-bodys run really well with low HP..IE 390rwhp can get great #. But why is there a huge # gap in with the 03/04 to the f-bodys and it just seems that the f-bodys always do better on the street.

-----------I think you guys can answer all those, I have just talked to some other f-body owners and they just laughed at me. There answer was "why wast your time on something that has to be supercharged just to keep up with us?" the other one said that he out runs them on the highway all the time.

So basically what I want out of the cobra is this...Full suspension, gears, shifter, and a KB. But I just dont know if the cars fall on there faces on the highway. thanks guys.

i used to own a 2000 WS6 T/A, black on black w/ t-tops... Still miss it sometimes. I like the LS1 engines. They love the highway. I don't know where you heard cobras fall on their face at high rpm, cuz mine sits on its hands till it reaches 4000 rpm.. then all hell breaks loose.

The ls1 made lots of low end torque, so let me tell you, driving a cobra is going to be different then whatyour used too... all their power is made up top.

B_Pay

Established Member
soon2be03 said:
They don't. I had a 2000 Z28 and now a 03 cobra and they're powerband is very similar. The cobra is a little better around town because it makes power earlier than the Z28. Go test drive one.

soon2be03 said:
They tend to wheel hop. If you hook you don't wheel hop. My understanding is you get the right tires you won't have as much of an issue.

soon2be03 said:
Weight.

soon2be03 said:
They don't fall on their face on the highway and I'm not sure gears would be the best thing to do especially if you're so concerned about highway runs.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
hurtindude said:
i used to own a 2000 WS6 T/A, black on black w/ t-tops... Still miss it sometimes. I like the LS1 engines. They love the highway. I don't know where you heard cobras fall on their face at high rpm, cuz mine sits on its hands till it reaches 4000 rpm.. then all hell breaks loose.

The ls1 made lots of low end torque, so let me tell you, driving a cobra is going to be different then whatyour used too... all their power is made up top.
Are you sure you own a 2003 Cobra?

The Cobra's make a ton more torque down low than the LS1 engine does.

99SVT3753

5.4L Snake
Established Member
I own (still own) 3 3rd Gen Fbodys. But when Chevy just did away with them and I came across this Cobra from a younger guy at work that couldn't afford insurance, I had to get it.

I'm rebuilding an 87 IROC with a 91 Vette engine bored to 355ci. Running the Vette trans and computer module and everything.

I had to learn to drive the Cobra (and it's 4.6) to get rid of the wheel hop. But after dumping the Goodyear's and buying Dayton Dayton Z's, I never had it again even launching at 5500RPM in 2nd gear with my 3.73's. I miss takin' 2nd up to 92MPH (have to shift at 65ish now). So I was thinking of putting the stock gears back in - until the two front pistons came apart at the oil control ring.

Now I have the 5.4L and have to relearn how to drive the car since there is nearly 55 more torque than the 4.6. And I'll never have to rev this engine over 6000 (maybe 6500 after I tune it - we'll see). But my stock 4.6 GAINED power after 5500 with the X-pipe installed- which felt MUCH better. But lacked enough TQ to get it off the line compared to any of the GTs.

Now if I can win the lottery, I'd love to get an old 60s Camaro and 60s Stang and put big block crates in them and take them to car shows :) that's my dream :)

Mad Max

Mod Crazy
Established Member
Have had a heads/cam/headers Camaro SS - 400+ RWHP. My wife still has her 00 SS ragtop.
My SS was fast and loud, but the Cobra would kill it. My friend has a 98 TA with 405 RWHP - my Cobra lost to him at the strip (it was bone stock) by about 1.5 - 2 car lengths. Now it would be the other way around and then some.
The Cobra's are easier to mod, and cost less: heads/cam/headers etc., vs. aftermarket Supercharger with supporting mods. Plus the sound of the blower at 4K+ is worth the price of admission alone. :D :bowdown:

soon2be03

Established Member
Hey guys thanks a lot. A lot of good info on here! Cobra bob, i looked at the FAQ's and it helped out a lot.

I have a auto Z right now with a 4000 converter. I have driven a ws6 with a 4600 converter. How do these cars fair agaisnt autos with head/cam/converters?????

I am NO LONGER worried about them falling up top, now im just worried about comming out of the hole. Thanks again guys.

03yellow

Established Member
You'll love the cobra.
Keep the fox body you wont get what you want for it... and they are fun cars.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
friend of mine has a stock 01 Camaro SS 6 speed.. we've both ridden in each others cars and we both agree that if I can hook up, I put the power to the ground better than he does.. also he said that my car has a more steady power flow, as he put it, it pulls the same from when I get on it, till I have to shift, and does it through all the gears..

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
soon2be03 said:
Hey guys thanks a lot. A lot of good info on here! Cobra bob, i looked at the FAQ's and it helped out a lot.

I have a auto Z right now with a 4000 converter. I have driven a ws6 with a 4600 converter. How do these cars fair agaisnt autos with head/cam/converters?????

I am NO LONGER worried about them falling up top, now im just worried about comming out of the hole. Thanks again guys.
Just do the appropriate mods (Red Pill) and you'll be launching out of the hole with narry a worry. Well, to a point. LOL!

soon2be03

Established Member
Hey guys, Again, thanks for all the comments. Im kinda used to the f-body guys just telling me to get this or that and dont worry about it, its an f-body. Anyway you guys have been more helpful then any body else I have asked so far.

Cobra Bob, hey on the red pill, im kinda wondering...

FOR WHEELHOP
Listed in order of necessity/priority.
Stock to CPIE wheelhop mods

1)Billetflow Diff Cover Brace $160
2)MM Diff bushings $50 or $250
3)MMFLSFC's installed $250-300 installed
4)MM IRS Bushings $50 with 14mm bolts/nuts $15
5)Billetflow IRS Mount Brackets $50
6)Used coupe springs $50 (est) (only for verts)
7)Nitto DR $375-$425 installed

500rwhp and up
8)PHP toe link bars $410
9)Maximum Motorsports UCA/LCA Bushings $550
10)Level 5 shafts $1500

If I do get to above 500, am I going to need to do all of this or just the ones in bold? Kind of a dumb question, but thought I would ask.

Thanks

soon2be03

Established Member
YGETV8 said:
Maybe your buddies are racing the wrong Cobras? ;)

I dont know, Maybe? I do know that a guy over here had a 463rwhp f-body m6 and raced an 03 with a pully, chip, catback, tires. The guy admited he didnt know how to drive it yet(had for a couple of months) and if you look at the vid, he really didnt know how to drive it. Well the guy started talking a lot Sh*t and saying that the 03 were crap and this and that. Well the vid showed that he couldnt find 3rd gear, couldnt hook up and he admited he lost. Well why the hell would some body run there mouths about that AFTER the guy in the cobra admited he lost, and that the car was faster than his because he couldnt drive it? Then a guy with a Ported SC, Pullyed, gears, shifter, suspension, headers, x-pipe, catback, wanted to race. And the other guy wouldnt. I just wanted to see that race:-D

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
Tell you what Soon2be, you live five minutes from me so when you get your butt back home from the desert, I'll take you out in my 460rwhp + built solid axle terminator and rip up & down K-7/K-10 a bit.

I assume you're not in Baghdad on vacation so I'll also buy you a beer for doing something most people can't/won't do.

Last edited:

soon2be03

Established Member
TrueBlueGT said:
Tell you what Soon2be, you live five minutes from me so when you get your butt back home from the desert, I'll take you out in my 460rwhp + built solid axle terminator and rip up & down K-7/K-10 a bit.

I assume you're not in Baghdad on vacation so I'll also buy you a beer for doing something most people can't/won't do.

Hey, thanks a lot for the offer. I sent you an E-Mail also(PM's are still not working and I dont know why)! I will take you up on your offer! But it will have to be a rain check. I leave tomorrow to go back. Im only back on my 2-week leave. Ill be home in november so Ill see ya then!

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
Go drive one and see for yourself, I don't think you'll be disappointed in the 03-04s. I wanted a LS1 firehawk or 30th anni TA before I got mine, I went and rode in my friends' 03 cobra that he had for sale one time and......the rest is history.

NickFL

New Whipple *****!!
Established Member
Former LS1...

I had an '02 Z prior to the Cobra. I love my Cobra! I never had any problem with the car pulling when it was stock, and I definitely dont have any problem now!! :D

I have no wheel hop with IRS bushings and brace, Steeda Springs, and MT DR's.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
soon2be03 said:
Hey, thanks a lot for the offer. I sent you an E-Mail also(PM's are still not working and I dont know why)! I will take you up on your offer! But it will have to be a rain check. I leave tomorrow to go back. Im only back on my 2-week leave. Ill be home in november so Ill see ya then!

I think the site has a restriction on pm's until you have a certain number of posts. It cuts down on spammers & jackasses. Give me your mailing address over in the desert...I work with a group called Soldiers' Angels here in KC and we do donation drives for stuff to put in care packages to send to you guys. I'll make sure your name is there on the list for care packages.
Keep yourself safe over there & we'll tear up some asphalt when you get back in Nov. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread