F-Body owner thinking of switching????

Yellow Horse

Established Member
soon2be03 said:
I dont know, Maybe? I do know that a guy over here had a 463rwhp f-body m6 and raced an 03 with a pully, chip, catback, tires. The guy admited he didnt know how to drive it yet(had for a couple of months) and if you look at the vid, he really didnt know how to drive it. Well the guy started talking a lot Sh*t and saying that the 03 were crap and this and that. Well the vid showed that he couldnt find 3rd gear, couldnt hook up and he admited he lost. Well why the hell would some body run there mouths about that AFTER the guy in the cobra admited he lost, and that the car was faster than his because he couldnt drive it? Then a guy with a Ported SC, Pullyed, gears, shifter, suspension, headers, x-pipe, catback, wanted to race. And the other guy wouldnt. I just wanted to see that race:-D

Anything is possible on the street. Plus, I don't street race period. An 03 with a 2.80 pulley, o/r exhaust, CAI mod and tuned will run 7.3x's/97 mph on 26 inch ET Streets. Look at the mods an LS1 needs to run those times, every bolt-on plus a 150 shot. I only lost to one SS on the track. It had Stg 3 heads, LS6 cam/intake, 3500 stall, headers, true duals, with a 150 shot and it barely beat me. Plus I was running on a set of 28 inch ET Streets that took 2 tenths off my best pass at that track. If I had my 26's I would have beaten him. My buddy and I drive all over the eastern US going to tracks and I can't tell you how many F-Bodies, vettes and vipers I've seen him humble. A 460 rwhp 03 will not lose to a 390 rwhp F-Body.

If you look at the torque curve on an 03 you will see that it will not fall flat at high rpm's. It is flat through the rev limit. Even with the Eaton, the car will pull hard through redline and will trap over 120 plus with the mods listed above.

Then if you add a screw blower you are in another world. Mine with over 600 rwhp and a 3.90 gear at 100 mph in sixth gear will stick you to the seat. At 80 mph in third gear it will lay rubber with just throttle.

2 SLOW

Keepin' it real
Established Member
Also, 95% of people on this forum no jack shit about LS1 cars...this thread is just more proof...

foreprecision

Established Member
If you're comparing a H/C/I/LT LSx to a pulleyed, stock Eaton Cobra, yes the Cobra will give you the sensation that it "falls on it's face."

It is just what you're used to. My old modified LS1's torque would peak at 4600 rpm (116 LSA cam) and by comparison, my pulleyed Cobra's torque peaks at 3500-ish.

Let me make it objective for you:
My Cobra's torque peak is 485 ft*lbs @ 3500 rpm
At 6000 rpm, the torque is 390 ft*lbs.

I call loosing almost 100 ft*lbs of torque over the last 2500 rpm "falling on its face." However, if you have a ported Eaton or aftermarket blower, this problem goes away. :beer: ...and having loads of torque available at low rpms is tons of fun also.

Justin

Last edited:

B_Pay

Established Member
If coming out of the hole is your worry I would get ET streets and an IRS Brace and hope the halfshafts don't break. This is what I'll be doing shortly. If it doesn't hook or doesn't pull the kind of 60's I want, then I'll look into the red pill or blue pill options.

B_Pay

Established Member
By the way, LS1 automatics with nitrous are extremely dangerous at the track...it's not hard to put them in the 10's.

*edit* It's not necessarily gonna be cheap considering the tranny will need to be upgraded and possibly the rear.

Last edited:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
foreprecision said:
I call loosing almost 100 ft*lbs of torque over the last 2500 rpm "falling on its face." However, if you have a ported Eaton or aftermarket blower, this problem goes away. :beer: ...and having loads of torque available at low rpms is tons of fun also.

Justin
I don't kow about your dyno, but my HP picks up where my tq drops off. I think it holds it's own just fine up top.

tv's 03

Established Member
All I know is that I have not lost to a ls1 yet on the street, and there has been literally dozens. They all have bolt-ons and loud exhaust, but it makes no difference, I start pulling down low and continue pulling on the top end. I like to shift between 6200-6500, and its still making power.

The ls1 guys will always, everytime, mention a h/c/i ls1 this and that. But that is major engine work, and is NOT an ls1 as designed by chevy. That is a modified race engine based on the ls1 block. There are very very few of them on the street.

However, my cobra has very mild bolt-ons and has run 117 mph.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
tv's 03 said:
All I know is that I have not lost to a ls1 yet on the street, and there has been literally dozens. They all have bolt-ons and loud exhaust, but it makes no difference, I start pulling down low and continue pulling on the top end. I like to shift between 6200-6500, and its still making power.

The ls1 guys will always, everytime, mention a h/c/i ls1 this and that. But that is major engine work, and is NOT an ls1 as designed by chevy. That is a modified race engine based on the ls1 block. There are very very few of them on the street.

However, my cobra has very mild bolt-ons and has run 117 mph.

Where in MO are you located?

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
As long as your HP passes your TQ curve before it starts to fall off, it shouldn't feel like it's falling on it's face. All the average terminators that i've seen that didn't have problems had a flat torque curve until the horsepower surpassed it, then it started dropping off a little after. That, my friends, is a perfect powerband. If you mod an LS1 a little, sure it can give a Cobra a helluva run. If you mod it a little more, sure it can walk it. Just remember, whatever you spend on the LS1 to make it faster, you can also spend that on a Cobra to make it faster. I like stangs, f-bods, vettes, and gtos all, I just felt that the cobra was the best performance buy and an excellent platform to build on.

Users who are viewing this thread