Explorer replacement tires

COBRA97SVT

Established Member
Hey all looking for replacement tires for the 20 Explorer Limited. 255/55/20.
I have seen Pirelli Scorpion AS 3 plus has great reviews but i dont want to kill the ride quality.
The stock Michelin Primacy AS have about 35k on them now and they are about done.
Let me know your suggestions.

Thanks

ccq8le

Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Party Liquor Posse
I have a 17 explorer and am running Michelin defender LTX. I have about 54,000 on the tires (my hankook OEMs were done at 17,000 and had a TSB where I could exchange them in for credit). They have been really good for me and still have decent tread. I will probably still run them another year and replace them as they will be 6 years old this summer.

I know yours is a different platform being the 2020, but I have had good luck with the defenders. Michelin warranty's them for up to 70,000 miles.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G991U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
X3 & x4 on the Michelin Defender LTX M/S.

I've got a set on our '12 Escape. Very happy with them. Not sure of miles without looking, but they've worn like iron.

Son just put a set on his '12 F150. He likes them as well.

8391C620-E004-4686-826A-E8FA7F15B0DF.jpeg

Not sure what I'll put on our '19 Explorer Sport. Probably Michelins too. Not a fan of the Hankooks either. Wear like crap.

95oRANGEcRUSH

Who's that whore?
Established Member
Different platform, but, we had BF Goodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT on our ‘13 Limited. I really liked them.

Different vehicle altogether, I got Falken Wildpeak A/T Trails for our ‘19 Ascent. Have about 9k on them and would buy again in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
The Michelin Defenders are good and I've also ordered some Coopers for a fleet customer with Explorers that they like. Might be a little more rugged but they are 10 ply and the Scorpions they had us get were only 2 ply so they were getting shredded with some of the places they were taking these vehicles. The Coopers are highly rated and worth looking at.

COBRA97SVT

Established Member
Great! Any experience with snow on the Defenders? All the reviews confirm road noise is no issue, which is what im looking for.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Great! Any experience with snow on the Defenders? All the reviews confirm road noise is no issue, which is what im looking for.

Imho, Defenders are very good tires in the snow. As good as any I've driven on.
They've been very good in the snow on my '12 Escape. Its a pretty light vehicle that doesn't get driven hard at all.

1678627401538.jpeg

However, Defenders are NOT Blizzaks. I would never expect them to perform like Blizzaks.

My log book says the Defenders were installed on the Escape on 2/22/17, at 66,500 miles. Current mileage is 130,600 miles.
So these tires have 64,100 miles on them, and the tread depth measured with a 6" caliper is ~.190".

1678628293702.jpeg

587589FA-7BEF-43C8-987E-85EC816A652D.jpeg

95oRANGEcRUSH

Who's that whore?
Established Member
Continental EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 PLUS and DON'T LOOK BACK!

Had the first gen of these on my ‘07 TL Type-S and got nearly 60k out of them. They were great all seasons however once the snow indicator wore off their snow capability dropped quite a bit. Not sure if the newer version fixed that or not but these are still regarded as excellent performing across all kinds of makes/models.

Kornilov

Established Member
I have TOYO Proxes STIIIs in 275/40/20 on my wife's '18 Explorer Sport. Really good, well performing tire for the money.

TAF

Trilogy Twin Screwed #004
Established Member
Wanted these but they are only available 255/50/20. Everything ive read says i need to stay within 3% of OEM size.
That's CRAZY for Continental to NOT make a standard Explorer size in the "PLUS" version. I have the DWS 06s on my 2018 Explorer Platinum...I had NO IDEA they quit making 55s!!

Sorry to mislead you...

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
If you live in snow country then be sure you are buying tires with the 3peak mountain + snowflake symbol, like the Michelin CrossClimates 2's. These are all-weather tires you can run all year and have a 60K mileage rating.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
We have them on our 19' Suburban. We gets lots of snow here in Maine and they perform excellent in snow. They are also very quiet on the road.

ccq8le

Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Party Liquor Posse
Keep an eye out for rebates. If you don't need the tires today, a lot of times Michelin will do $100+ mail in rebate.

Users who are viewing this thread