Exhaust Cut-outs Question... Need Some Input

srt10ram

The Little 2v That Could
Established Member
I just ordered two manual cutouts that I plan on placing after my Mac LT's, but before the X crossover. I have a few questions, whats the minimum amount of pipe I would need after the Front 02 sensors which are located 3-4 inches before the headers bolt the X-pipe. I ran open headers and the pulsating caused the o2 sensors to read lean which caused it to be extremely rich and surge at idle/low rpm. I also ran open X pipe with it dumping directly after the X, and I experienced no problems. The cutouts themselves are 10inches long, will I be okay welding them in right after the X-pipe flange which bolts to the headers (12-15in. of pipe when open)? Just want to confirm this before I weld them in, if it surges/pulsates the o2's I will be shit out of luck.

I already know I'll lose some low-end torque (hardly has any already), but I'm fairly certain it will gain 5-10whp up-top, the LS and GT500 crowd have seen gains with cutouts. And it is cammed, so it shouldn't sound too too horrible at idle.

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
Hopefully you gain something, you never really know. In my brother's 533ci big block Galaxie, it made absolutely zero difference running cutouts on the dyno (540rwhp).

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I've run electric cutouts on a few cars before and I always ended up removing them. They just never seal completely when closed and I always got some stinky exhaust smell in the cab with the cutouts in the closed position. Just a heads up in case that bothers you.
Now if you have the kind where you have to get under the car and unbolt a plate and gasket to open them then you'll be fine.

srt10ram

The Little 2v That Could
Established Member
From what I've seen in pictures, they usually hang really low.
I'm gonna try to angle them down a hair, but nothing extreme, I'll be sure to post some pictures afterwards.

I've run electric cutouts on a few cars before and I always ended up removing them. They just never seal completely when closed and I always got some stinky exhaust smell in the cab with the cutouts in the closed position. Just a heads up in case that bothers you.
Now if you have the kind where you have to get under the car and unbolt a plate and gasket to open them then you'll be fine.
They're the gasket type with 3 butterfly nuts clamping a plate on, seems like I might be able to access them without even jacking the car up, so hopefully it won't be too big of a PIA.

The only problem I see is if I'm sitting at a light with them open and good ole sheriff pulls up behind me.

Does anyone have any hard data/power numbers with cutouts on boosted mod-motors? I see alot of high HP guys swap to big primary LT's and full 3in. exhaust.

Users who are viewing this thread