Everything Bicycle Related

coachL

Established Member
It is a Canyon time trial bike. If you want to haul serious ass, this is the bike you want.
iu

Wrong , this bike is the fasestt production bike ever built . Tour easy gold rush replica.

ajaf1656

Established Member
I quit mountain biking after breaking my wrist twice in a year.

How about cyclo/gravel/fat tire?
Right now I have the most fun on my single speed road bikes. I pretend I'm racing everyone on the greenbelt.
I am thinking about packing up my 1989 Trek 950 and heading up to Northern Idaho to do some bike camping. This thing looks like the 40 year old virgin's bike, but it's an awesome bike. I have used it for grocery shopping in the snow, hook a trailer up full of fishing gear and head to a nearby lake or whatever.
4D3DB949-C58D-4E94-9129-33DF2FA7AF53_1_201_a.jpeg

I really need to stop going to the bike co-op. I'll see an old frame and get an idea and it turns into my garage looking like this... If you count by frames 11 bicycles, but none are junk.
On the floor left to right: Diamondback Ascent (converted to a single speed), Schwinn Paramount 650b (all original), Specialized Rockhopper (incomplete project), We The People Audio 22, State Bicycle 4130, Schwinn LeTour II (on the stand, finished now), Trek 950, Commencal Meta HT. Hanging: Shogun road bike 4130 lugged frame, Specialized Rockhopper frame, Schwinn World Sport.
0F18CDEE-21B9-4C97-A2B8-43C50A072C77_1_201_a.jpeg

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
It is a Canyon time trial bike. If you want to haul serious ass, this is the bike you want.

iu

Wrong , this bike is the fasestt production bike ever built . Tour easy gold rush replica.

Pikers, the both of ya!

Wait 'til I get this bolt-on installed on my rocket.

IMG_7962.jpeg

Last edited:

ajaf1656

Established Member
@Lambeau knows where this is. 5k feet of climbing over 87 miles in 4:08. Wind got pretty nasty on the way back, the ride home was a bitch.

This rest stop is at the bottom of a 5k descent. I had a car drive up alongside to tell me I was going 53 mph.

View attachment 1805391

View attachment 1805392
That's awesome. Well, the downhill part sounds awesome. Haha
What tire width are you doing that on? I get a little sketched out doing anything really fast on 23's. I imagine with the discs, your fork crown is the limiting factor on how wide you could go on that bike.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
That's awesome. Well, the downhill part sounds awesome. Haha
What tire width are you doing that on? I get a little sketched out doing anything really fast on 23's. I imagine with the discs, your fork crown is the limiting factor on how wide you could go on that bike.

They are 25s. There has been quite a shift in tire width in the last 10 years. It turns out wider at lower pressure is faster. Less rolling resistance.

In 2005 I was racing on 19 inch tubular at 120lbs of pressure. The ride quality SUCKED.

Now you can't even get anything narrower than a 23 and you run 85lbs. They do not even make tubular anymore. A lot of guys are running tubeless on the road but I am not a fan.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
They are 25s. There has been quite a shift in tire width in the last 10 years. It turns out wider at lower pressure is faster. Less rolling resistance.

In 2005 I was racing on 19 inch tubular at 120lbs of pressure. The ride quality SUCKED.

Now you can't even get anything narrower than a 23 and you run 85lbs. They do not even make tubular anymore. A lot of guys are running tubeless on the road but I am not a fan.

And here I am waiting on a fat tire e-bike to be delivered...

ajaf1656

Established Member

I refuse to give in to the "trend" of tubeless tires.
I used to be a bike mechanic and I've dealt with enough slime crap to know I'd rather just deal with tubes. I like my tires over inflated anyway. When I was a kid I always ran way more pressure in my BMX tires than they were rated for because I'd always get pinch flats.
I typically run 90 psi in my 28 and 100 psi in my 25 gatorskins.
In college I had an old Specialized Rockhopper with 26x2.5 Maxxis Hookworms. I'd air them down to 30 psi and ride it to the bar in the snow. For a slick tire, they were surprisingly grippy in the snow. I'd ride wheelies past the CSU gym to impress the girls on the ellipticals. Haha

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I have had and still have many high end road and time trial bikes. My favorite remains the Madone SSL. "SSL" stands for "super sexy light" and cut weight by using a lighter density carbon in the frame. Mine with training wheels weights 12 lbs and with climbing wheels weighs <11 lbs. It looks like this:

f300c.jpeg

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
The craziest road bike I ever had was a Trek RSL Madone. This was a team only bike but I was sponsored at the time and was able to get one through Trek. There were only 4 made in my size. When I rode it bike nerds were constantly taking pics of it. I rode it for two years and sold it for $18k.

It was not impressed with it. Totally overrated.
1694730647597.png

ajaf1656

Established Member
The craziest road bike I ever had was a Trek RSL Madone. This was a team only bike but I was sponsored at the time and was able to get one through Trek. There were only 4 made in my size. When I rode it bike nerds were constantly taking pics of it. I rode it for two years and sold it for $18k.

It was not impressed with it. Totally overrated.
View attachment 1809448
That's insane. I love geeking out on high-end bike stuff. I think this was my fanciest road bike ever. Haha.
If I remember correctly it was a 1993 model. I put more modern components on it, but I never really rode it, opting to take a single speed most of the time. Sometimes I wish I'd kept it. I just love the USA made lugged 4130 frames.
IMG_6450.jpeg

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
That's insane. I love geeking out on high-end bike stuff. I think this was my fanciest road bike ever. Haha.
If I remember correctly it was a 1993 model. I put more modern components on it, but I never really rode it, opting to take a single speed most of the time. Sometimes I wish I'd kept it. I just love the USA made lugged 4130 frames.
View attachment 1809468

Seeing a Trek 420 for the first time helped create my passion for bikes.

A friends older brother got one in turquoise. All I could do was stare at it. This is when Univegas were hot. He also had a Centurion that was pretty sweet.

I do love classic bike geometry.

ajaf1656

Established Member
I grabbed a new project bike last night. I can't seem to help myself. I really like these Japanese made chromoly Schwinns from the 70's, especially since they can be had for less than $100.

IMG_1863.jpeg

ajaf1656

Established Member
what groupset?
These Japanese built Schwinn Le Tours have "Le Tour" and "Schwinn Approved" stamped on the front of the components. On the back, they have some weird Japanese brand name... "Shimano". Haha
The brakes are Weinmann center-pulls that actually work great and polish out beautifully.

ajaf1656

Established Member
This is one of the other 1977 Le Tour II's I used to have. The orange one I just got is my 4th. All the other ones were the "Violet" color, but I painted this one brown since it was pretty beat up.

IMG_4206.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread