Everything Bicycle Related

ajaf1656

Established Member
With the recent mountain bike thread, I thought we should expand it to all types of bicycles, gear, riding pictures or whatever you have related to bikes...

I'll kick it off with my BMX. WeThePeople Audio 22.
22" Wheels, 4130 chromoly frame with 21.9 Toptube length. Since the photo, I had a custom rear wheel built with a Primo hub, DT Swiss spokes and Alienation rim and I added an Odyssey linear brake cable to eliminate cable flex.

C8E9B415-A229-4B38-AF84-606565CDA781_1_201_a.jpeg

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Im in the market for a mountain bike myself. Not sure if I want electric assisted or not. Seems like u can go much further and longer. Im all about hitting jumps and thurashing trails and getting back up them hills is exhausting lol.

I tried my buddies electric bike and it was just so much more fun cause we went like all day. I still got an incredible workout cause I was out there 3x as long!

What are ur guys thoughts?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
E-Lux Tahoe classic

9297b933-18d0-4880-86a8-ab91f508ea23_1_105_c-jpeg.1656310
Lots of E-bikes around here. The bike/walking path directly borders our property so we seen them every day.

Wife and I have cruiser bikes for the bike path. Just bought them last year, trading in my racing bike. Mine's a Giant Cypress bike. Perfect for the path. Now that nicer weather is rapidly approaching, we'll get out there a couple of times a week.

upload_2021-3-18_9-9-54.png

Ninedown

Established Member
Im in the market for a mountain bike myself. Not sure if I want electric assisted or not. Seems like u can go much further and longer. Im all about hitting jumps and thurashing trails and getting back up them hills is exhausting lol.

I tried my buddies electric bike and it was just so much more fun cause we went like all day. I still got an incredible workout cause I was out there 3x as long!

What are ur guys thoughts?

Id like an Ebike myself. If you get a long travel enduro they are very capable. Some people ever take them to DH parks. But I would wait till next year as they may pass a bill on ebikes to reduce emissions etc. You'll be able to claim up to $1500 on taxes on a 8k bike or 30%. If the bill passes, it wont take effect till Jan.1 22..

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Nice! Good to know cause thats about what my budget was $8-10k. Seems like the batteries are getting smaller and smaller which means much lighter.

Id like an Ebike myself. If you get a long travel enduro they are very capable. Some people ever take them to DH parks. But I would wait till next year as they may pass a bill on ebikes to reduce emissions etc. You'll be able to claim up to $1500 on taxes on a 8k bike or 30%. If the bill passes, it wont take effect till Jan.1 22..

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
My 2007 GF Hifi at Buffalo Creek CO. This is still my main MTB, though I'm currently building a new one.
IMG_1790.JPG

My Salsa Mukluk in Copper Harbor MI.
IMG_2299.JPG

Wife and I got into bikepacking for a few years. We did RAGBRAI self supported a few times. Custom built Xtracycle, donor frame was a Jamis.
IMG_1408.JPG

Surly ECR for its first outing.
ECR_Illiniwek_Small.jpg

After our last RAGBRAI where a freak storm destroyed our popup tent and I lost several articles of expensive biking clothes...we stepped up our camping game a little and went back to mostly MTB. This is how I usually hauled our bikes in our first camper.
IMG_2529.JPG

Someone in the other thread said that frames don't break under normal use. I call BS, I've broken this frame three times.
P1010026.JPG

Fat biking Lick Creek in Farmington IA. This was one of the best bike trips I've ever had, it was one hell of an adventure.
IMG_1869.JPG

We used to do a "Tour de Brew" a couple times a year. Basically, we all got the shittiest or weirdest bikes we had and went bar/brewery hopping. I remember some of them...
DSC00279.JPG

I can do this all day, maybe later I'll add some more of my current bikes or something. At one time my wife and I had over 30 bikes between us.

ajaf1656

Established Member
1970's Schwinn LeTour II. Converted to 700c single speed, custom paint. I ended up selling this one since I had two LeTour II's at the time.
C3B35E5F-E4E0-40A2-A232-B7DAABF387BC_1_201_a.jpeg

ajaf1656

Established Member
Someone in the other thread said that frames don't break under normal use. I call BS, I've broken this frame three times.

I can do this all day, maybe later I'll add some more of my current bikes or something. At one time my wife and I had over 30 bikes between us.

Keep the pics coming. Awesome stuff.
Also, not sure if you were referring to my post, but I said that during the three years I worked as a bike mechanic, I never saw a MTB break from normal use, not that it doesn't happen. I don't know how many bikes I worked on in that time, but it's rare enough that it never came across my work stand.

We saw some mangled stuff come through the shop and we had a running joke about it. People would bring in a bike twisted up like a pretzel or otherwise spectacularly destroyed, but a lot of people just wouldn't want to say what happened. I guess they were too embarrassed to admit they crashed or to admit they drove into the garage with their bikes on top of their car. For those spectacularly mangled bikes that had no story, we'd say they were "JRA" for Just Riding Along. The is frame snapped in half, the bars bent in opposite directions, the seat looks like it was mauled by a cougar and both wheels are taco'd. Wow, what happened? I was just riding along and the damn thing broke. Lol

ajaf1656

Established Member
I had one of those. Bought it in '80 and it got stolen in '82. Ripped off from my workplace. Inside job.

I've had 3 exactly the same year and same original color. One got stolen in Colorado. I need to get some new bars (I cannibalized these bars for a different project) and small hardware bits for the fenders to finish my current one.
6C1B3208-0613-4A35-92AE-C8049E3B41AF.jpeg

ajaf1656

Established Member
My parents bought my oldest niece a cheap little girls' beach cruiser bike a few years back. As a cool uncle, I had to intervene and get the girls cool BMX bikes. The older one has A FiT Misfit 16" with cassette hub, all sealed bearings, 3 piece cranks and 990 u-brake. The younger one has a DK Aura 14" with a coaster brake. They love their cool BMX bikes. When the oldest rode her bike to kindergarten, she already had the coolest bike at school. Haha
D20A5404-82AC-4C6C-AB9C-142067D89BDB.jpeg

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Keep the pics coming. Awesome stuff.
Also, not sure if you were referring to my post, but I said that during the three years I worked as a bike mechanic, I never saw a MTB break from normal use, not that it doesn't happen. I don't know how many bikes I worked on in that time, but it's rare enough that it never came across my work stand.

We saw some mangled stuff come through the shop and we had a running joke about it. People would bring in a bike twisted up like a pretzel or otherwise spectacularly destroyed, but a lot of people just wouldn't want to say what happened. I guess they were too embarrassed to admit they crashed or to admit they drove into the garage with their bikes on top of their car. For those spectacularly mangled bikes that had no story, we'd say they were "JRA" for Just Riding Along. The is frame snapped in half, the bars bent in opposite directions, the seat looks like it was mauled by a cougar and both wheels are taco'd. Wow, what happened? I was just riding along and the damn thing broke. Lol

It might have been yours, I didn't look to see who posted it. The first time I broke that frame was coming off about a 3' drop to flat dirt, the second time was going through a small creek crossing, and the first time I was literally just riding around on a flat XC trail. In THAT bike's case, I think it's more a design flaw in the rear swingarm than anything, but I've seen several other frame breaks on bikes that weren't abused (anymore than any other MTB that is).

Second time I broke the frame on that bike
416681_339752999386157_1320055221_o.jpg

A friend of mine broke his during a race up in Copper Harbor
327256_506501169378005_244598344_o.jpg

Maybe we're just hard on bikes....LOL

ajaf1656

Established Member
That's crazy. Those like the typical aluminum failures I've seen on other types of bikes. I knew a coworker who was riding his steel lugged frame Schwinn Paramount. He slipped on a patch of wet leaves and it turned him directly at a big tree. He bent the top tube and down tube but nothing snapped. He had a frame repair shop braze in new tubes and the bike was as good as new. I've only owned two aluminum frames over the years, everything else has been steel.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
That's crazy. Those like the typical aluminum failures I've seen on other types of bikes. I knew a coworker who was riding his steel lugged frame Schwinn Paramount. He slipped on a patch of wet leaves and it turned him directly at a big tree. He bent the top tube and down tube but nothing snapped. He had a frame repair shop braze in new tubes and the bike was as good as new. I've only owned two aluminum frames over the years, everything else has been steel.

I've never broken (or seen broken) a steel or carbon bike that wasn't crash related, only aluminum ones. Steel bends, aluminum just snaps. Usually the aluminum breaks are at the welds too.

Users who are viewing this thread