Evenflow Gen II Help

OSUALUM78

Established Member
Please help. I bought the Evenflow Gen II head cooling mod from Lethal, and it's not working. By that I mean, it leaks. My installer (a former aerospace engine mechanic) followed the instructions properly and we even read a few other's posts about adding gasket sealant (we added around the barrel of the insert and on top around the barrel/on top of the head). Apparently, he thinks the inside of my head is missing the lip for the o-ring to seat into. Our next resolve was going to use the o-ring on bottom and JB weld around the barrel of the plug insert and see if that seals it.

Any thoughts on how to resolve?

Also, will this head cooling mod clear all aftermarket superchargers, plenums, TB's/air intakes (and fuel rails)? I ask because my plan is to switch to a KB 2.8LC (relocates the plenum, TB, and intake to the DS) or maybe just the 2.8; or for a longshot, maybe a Whipple. Also, does the KB 2.8LC or 2.8 re-use the EGR?

Thanks
:beer:

MyStIcHrOmE 04

NEED MORE HP!!!
Established Member
The O-Ring actually doesn't seal to the bottom lip. If you look into the hole after you remove the freeze plug, the lip is half moon shaped. The O-ring actually seals to the sides of the hole, hence why there is a plate and bolt to hold the assembly in place. As for your problem, try using a larger OD O-ring? JB weld isn't always the best solution.

Blackedout

Established Member
If you didn't install the o-ring (lubed) or it got pinched that might be why it is leaking..

my92gt

Established Member
Weird! I've been running mine since April with no flaws. Then again I used an OEM O-ring. If u want the part number I will gladly pm u with it!!

OSUALUM78

Established Member
Weird! I've been running mine since April with no flaws. Then again I used an OEM O-ring. If u want the part number I will gladly pm u with it!!

Please with part number.....

And used petroleum jelly to stick the o-ring to the bottom of the insert and help seal the joint area in addition to the gasket sealant around the barrel of the insert and around the top of the barrel and head. When we initially did it, I thought there was no way in hell it was going to leak, but sure nuff, it was leaking. Upon inspection of the o-ring, it didn't appear like it got pinched.

Round two equaled pulling the S/C to redo (rou nd one we left the Eaton on), redid the method, didn't completely re-fill for burping, started her up, and sure nuff, was leaking again.... she now is sitting with the S/C and intercooler, fuel rails, etc. all pulled with the second install in place awaiting a third try. This time I want to make it seal and not leak (hence the JB weld thought)... and hence my question about this mod with aftermarket S/C options....

Why no JB weld around the barrel of the insert and/or on top of the barrel/head?

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

Please with part number.....

And used petroleum jelly to stick the o-ring to the bottom of the insert and help seal the joint area in addition to the gasket sealant around the barrel of the insert and around the top of the barrel and head. When we initially did it, I thought there was no way in hell it was going to leak, but sure nuff, it was leaking. Upon inspection of the o-ring, it didn't appear like it got pinched.

Round two equaled pulling the S/C to redo (rou nd one we left the Eaton on), redid the method, didn't completely re-fill for burping, started her up, and sure nuff, was leaking again.... she now is sitting with the S/C and intercooler, fuel rails, etc. all pulled with the second install in place awaiting a third try. This time I want to make it seal and not leak (hence the JB weld thought)... and hence my question about this mod with aftermarket S/C options....

Why no JB weld around the barrel of the insert and/or on top of the barrel/head?

what do you mean by the bolded text and sticking it on the bottom of the insert? The fitting that comes with the kit should have a groove in it for the o-ring to sit in. the port in the head does not have a groove and is smooth, just like every other coolant port on the heads and block. The o-ring seals against that smooth surfaced port.

is the port on the head cleaned? Any knicks or anything that could allow the coolant to get by the o-ring?

RTV sealant will not work. It should seal without anything extra. I usually use a dab of oil or coolant on the o-ring and carefully press it into the head making sure I am as even as possible and watch the oring as it compresses.

good luck. And if you can get pics of everything that might help. Like the setup before you install in the head and the port in the head and then final install.

Last edited:

OSUALUM78

Established Member
My kit didn't come with instructions, so we referred to this pdf: https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BypLo0rFWNp7MDg1NzZkM2UtMjViOC00Y2FjLTk0OGYtMjk3N2U0OGUwN2Y4&hl=en

TRBO VNM, thanks for the reply. You made me re-read the instructions and....

I think I figured out where we went wrong. Blame me for not double checking him in what he was doing (he is supposed to be the brains as I'm not very mechanically inclined) and blame him for not reading and doing as they say... Now if I am wrong, I'm still back to square one. I tried calling him to double check my thought on where we went wrong, but he's with his GF and didn't answer.

I'll find out soon enough if we didn't follow the instructions properly
The o-ring part. The first time, he was put the o-ring in the freeze plug hole, then put the insert down in the freeze plug hole on top of the o-ring, in effect trying to create a seal by force of the insert pressing down, instead of putting the o-ring in the bottom groove....I am not sure about the second go as I was at work and he worked on it by himself....

:bash:

:cuss:

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

LOL, the oring goes on the fitting that is pressed into the head. I would suggest getting someone who has worked on these cars to help you out next time.

Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
LOL, the oring goes on the fitting that is pressed into the head. I would suggest getting someone who has worked on these cars to help you out next time.

Yup, the guy might know rockets, but doesn't seem to know basic shit, lol.

my92gt

Established Member
Part number is here on this pix
8b9c5839.jpg

And this is how the fitting should be assembled
5ee187d9.jpg

From the base to the top should have the O-ring on the groove, the retaining plate, and the AN fittings should follow as u may like..

Users who are viewing this thread