Enough already

Kapy

Established Member
I am glad to see the posts diverted or closed about the GT350r.

Don't get me wrong, the car is awesome.

However it is amazing how quick some are to forget that our 13's and 14's are the coolest models ever produced by Ford period!

I am getting a little tired of hearing all the hype with the GT350r. I can't wait and I am sure it already has been done, but I want to see a direct comparison between the two on the track on all levels. Road course and drag strip please.

I don't want to see any you tube videos, or amateur street races.

I want a true race between the two by professional drivers.

Someone please put this to bed.

Either way I am happy to own in my mind the best GT500 in history or Mustang for that fact.

Kapy

Established Member
You missed the point pal.
Maybe take the time to read the post then decide if you want to make that comment.
Otherwise quit trying to start a stupid battle.
All I want is a direct comparison to settle the debate.

If you would have read the post I clearly stated I like the GT350r, but I am tired of hearing about the comparisons.

Let's see some hard factual data. No speculation. Which you are doing now.

Last edited:

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
I am glad to see the posts diverted or closed about the GT350r.

Don't get me wrong, the car is awesome.

However it is amazing how quick some are to forget that our 13's and 14's are the coolest models ever produced by Ford period!

I am getting a little tired of hearing all the hype with the GT350r. I can't wait and I am sure it already has been done, but I want to see a direct comparison between the two on the track on all levels. Road course and drag strip please.

I don't want to see any you tube videos, or amateur street races.

I want a true race between the two by professional drivers.

Someone please put this to bed.

Either way I am happy to own in my mind the best GT500 in history or Mustang for that fact.

i agree with you, the trinity car are legends in all reality. but in comparison to a GT350 there is no comparison. one is a .50 cal the other a barrett sniper rifle. both will take a head clean off a body, but they can't really be compared outside of that.

the GT350 will easily handle a GT500 on any track. the drag strip will forever belong to the GT500.

Kapy

Established Member
i agree with you, the trinity car are legends in all reality. but in comparison to a GT350 there is no comparison. one is a .50 cal the other a barrett sniper rifle. both will take a head clean off a body, but they can't really be compared outside of that.

the GT350 will easily handle a GT500 on any track. the drag strip will forever belong to the GT500.

Thanks Hemi, I appreciate your response.

I agree with you whole heartedly.

But everything is speculation until a major mag, or other professional group decides to take both of these cars and compare them absolutely scientifically with data and facts will this be known.

Until then everyone chimes in on their opinions.

These comparisons happen all the time among other brands and models. All I am saying is lets bring them both together and test them side by side on the road course, drag strip and street and print the results.

Pretty simple.

Until then everyone will speculate, assume or have opinions.

I know both of these cars are complete different animals.

But it would be cool to Let the facts prove it and see which one fairs best.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Well, there's a reason one is a GT350 and the other is a GT500. Why compare a track car to a drag car? There's a big thread about the GT350R being Car and Driver's car of the year. The article is slap full of numbers on the 350. Nobody is forgetting the 13/14 GT500 but the cars are over two years old and have been discussed plenty. I don't understand the problem with discussing a new mustang. Discussing one car doesn't diminish another.

Softballer77

Established Member
The numbers are already out there.

Get a magazine with GT500 numbers. Get a magazine with GT350r numbers. Done deal. Or, just google a track that both have been at and compare numbers.

Easy Schmeezy.

rwboring

Established Member
you might not want to know the answer...

There isn't a question on the track but this comes back to the standard problem with the GT500... the GY's can't hook and the GT350R has about the best tire (non-dr or slick) for traction. So while the trap of the GT350R will be much lower then the GT500 the ET will easily be within half a second, which seems like a lot but it is also 150hp short and about the same weight.

The GT350 has always been for handling (since 1965) and the GT500 was always the HP king (since 1967) why can't it be left at that?

cluscher

Established Member
In response to rwboring's post, this is the point in a comparison of the two. It would be more apples to apples to compare a track pack 350 to a trinity GT500, and I wouldn't be so quick to say the 350 will just walk around it. I have quite a bit of first hand experience with a trinity GT500 on a road course, and there is nothing about it that is a slouch. I think it would be a very interesting comparison. I do know the GT3 guys cannot believe how fast that damn Mustang is when I run my PCA days. I have never understood the talk about how the GT500 is shitty on a road course. If you went out there and drove one you wouldn't be saying that.

If you want to compare it to the R, throw a set of Foregelines and cup 2 tires on the 500; then it's fair game.

Last edited:

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
I doubt any magazine will compare the 2, as mentioned above the Trinity is a couple of years old any comparisons would be to new models.

rwboring

Established Member
In response to rwboring's post, this is the point in a comparison of the two. It would be more apples to apples to compare a track pack 350 to a trinity GT500, and I wouldn't be so quick to say the 350 will just walk around it. I have quite a bit of first hand experience with a trinity GT500 on a road course, and there is nothing about it that is a slouch. I think it would be a very interesting comparison. I do know the GT3 guys cannot believe how fast that damn Mustang is when I run my PCA days. I have never understood the talk about how the GT500 is shitty on a road course. If you went out there and drove one you wouldn't be saying that.

If you want to compare it to the R, throw a set of Foregelines and cup 2 tires on the 500; then it's fair game.

I think you kind of proved my point that the tires are a huge difference. He wanted an even comparison so that would be stock vs stock and the GT500 did OK on the track tests but nothing to write home about... I have never taken mine to a dedicated track day but I have pushed it and it does well. It does much better with the NT05's... it might be in the ballpark of a 350 depending on how tight the track is but i dont think it will be close to the R around a track... in a straight line, that's a different ball game.

jtfx6552

Established Member

Mine did awesome. I have video catching a Mini in a 35 mph corner.

I do think the GT350 will turn better lap times on just about any track, but the GT500 was a blast.

I really wonder if either the regular or the R will be as much fun climbing up through the "S es " at Watkins Glen. Something about having 662 HP and instant torque that I think will be hard to top for the fun factor.

Mine never ran that hot either, lol.

Kapy

Established Member
in response to rwboring's post, this is the point in a comparison of the two. It would be more apples to apples to compare a track pack 350 to a trinity gt500, and i wouldn't be so quick to say the 350 will just walk around it. I have quite a bit of first hand experience with a trinity gt500 on a road course, and there is nothing about it that is a slouch. I think it would be a very interesting comparison. I do know the gt3 guys cannot believe how fast that damn mustang is when i run my pca days. I have never understood the talk about how the gt500 is shitty on a road course. If you went out there and drove one you wouldn't be saying that.

If you want to compare it to the r, throw a set of foregelines and cup 2 tires on the 500; then it's fair game.

yes

Cman01

hello
Established Member
I did the track tour at Lime Rock where I drove the GT350 (not the R, what I wanted to drive but the cars are assigned to you when you are there and I got the ho-hum version).

It was nice to be able to drive this car on the track, most people that will buy this car probably don't or won't even drive it like it was meant to be driven so at least I feel I have a one up on anyone that's even thinking of getting one.

It does drive great on the track, it corners well, sounds wonderful..................it is a track weapon, but so is my car. I honestly don't think it is leagues ahead of what my GT500 can do (what Ford and the magazines are making this car out to be).

Yeah, I might be biased as I own a '13 Shelby GT500 which I have tracked twice since I owned it (and will be trailered down to Daytona in a few weeks time for a weekend on the Rolex course). I really don't think it is necessary to directly compare the two cars since the king of the hill Mustang is STILL THE KING OF THE HILL MUSTANG..................which is the 13/14 GT500.

For comparisons sake, I look forward to next year's C&D Lightning Lap feature which will have the GT350R in it. Lightning lap uses the VIR full course (which I feel is our continent's version of the Nurburgring). The 13 GT500 has lapped that track in 3:00.6 (not bad but not great as they said it had issues putting down the power due to the car's weight distribution and skinny G/year tires). A Boss Laguna Seca has a time of 3:02.8, a 2011 Mustang GT did it in 3:08.6, a 2011 GT500's time at VIR is 3:04. The 2015 Mustang GT with Performance package is 3:05.2.

What I'm saying is that the GT350R is going to have to post up a killer time @ VIR for me to be impressed enough that it is SO much better than the latest model GT500 to dethrone it from KOTH status. Even if it does slightly better time wise than the GT500 means it will be a fail in my eyes.

The direct competitor to the GT350R is the 2015 Camaro Z/28. It has a time of 2:49.3 @ VIR. The Camaro ZL1 is 2:57.5 (faster than the 13/14 Shelby, its direct competitor). The Boss LS's competitor is the Camaro SS 1LE which is 3:01.5 (very close times with the Boss but kills the '15 GT time). It will be a VERY hard sell for the R to match or beat the Z/28's time on that track.

Not an official time...................but this person has a vid on youtube saying a R has lapped Laguna Seca in 1:40 or so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLLjudEUpss

but this video has Randy Pobst driving the 2013 GT500 around Laguna Seca in.........................well watch the video and you'll find out + all the complaining he has about it being a handful to drive and the brake problems the car had (supposedly).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKWyxEuwKWg

The R is a nice ride but it's got BIG shoes to fill to take the place of the King.

Tony

Last edited:

Cman01

hello
Established Member

If you drive a trinity 500 then I agree with you, but all previous model GT500's weren't great track cars. They didn't have enough brakes and the engines had heat issues because of the tiny HE. If you had the iron block 5.4 that's even worse (from a weight distribution point of view).

Most people aren't aware just how much different the trinity is to the previous model Shelby's, so it's an obvious surprise to them when on the track they expect you to be laying down and they get a nasty surprise!!! LOL.

My Shelby with GA1Rs and MPSS. Cup 2's are a tire swap away on these rims if I want to track them:

21myn9k.jpg

raceme2

Established Member
As like cman01, I got to do the track touring at Sebring but in the 350R. I have a 14 GT500 with mods. I could go on about the handling, the braking, the linier power, ths sound of the exhuast, the comfort and support of the seats and a sfter than doesn`t allow grinding going into second.
Ford had a 350R on a rotisserie and to see what Ford has done with new technology is impressive. The VP of Marketing was there and gave a short talk after we were done on the track. The one area he talked about gives me hope that we will in one way or another always have a performance car from Ford. And the Ford Families love of performance vehicles.
Would I sell My 14 Shelby to get a GT350 or 350r, no way.

Black Thunder 715

Established Member
As like cman01, I got to do the track touring at Sebring but in the 350R. I have a 14 GT500 with mods. I could go on about the handling, the braking, the linier power, ths sound of the exhuast, the comfort and support of the seats and a sfter than doesn`t allow grinding going into second.
Ford had a 350R on a rotisserie and to see what Ford has done with new technology is impressive. The VP of Marketing was there and gave a short talk after we were done on the track. The one area he talked about gives me hope that we will in one way or another always have a performance car from Ford. And the Ford Families love of performance vehicles.
Would I sell My 14 Shelby to get a GT350 or 350r, no way.

^+1. The '15 and beyond won't grow on me. I don't care how much power it has or how it sounds.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member

Excellent post. I drive my GT500 on a road course more than any other type of setting aside from the street and I agree with you completely. I am willing to bet more than 75% of the owners on here have no idea how the car behaves on an open track. This thing devours territory in short order.

Users who are viewing this thread