Enough already

cluscher

Established Member
I did the track tour at Lime Rock where I drove the GT350 (not the R, what I wanted to drive but the cars are assigned to you when you are there and I got the ho-hum version).

It was nice to be able to drive this car on the track, most people that will buy this car probably don't or won't even drive it like it was meant to be driven so at least I feel I have a one up on anyone that's even thinking of getting one.

It does drive great on the track, it corners well, sounds wonderful..................it is a track weapon, but so is my car. I honestly don't think it is leagues ahead of what my GT500 can do (what Ford and the magazines are making this car out to be).

Yeah, I might be biased as I own a '13 Shelby GT500 which I have tracked twice since I owned it (and will be trailered down to Daytona in a few weeks time for a weekend on the Rolex course). I really don't think it is necessary to directly compare the two cars since the king of the hill Mustang is STILL THE KING OF THE HILL MUSTANG..................which is the 13/14 GT500.

For comparisons sake, I look forward to next year's C&D Lightning Lap feature which will have the GT350R in it. Lightning lap uses the VIR full course (which I feel is our continent's version of the Nurburgring). The 13 GT500 has lapped that track in 3:00.6 (not bad but not great as they said it had issues putting down the power due to the car's weight distribution and skinny G/year tires). A Boss Laguna Seca has a time of 3:02.8, a 2011 Mustang GT did it in 3:08.6, a 2011 GT500's time at VIR is 3:04. The 2015 Mustang GT with Performance package is 3:05.2.

What I'm saying is that the GT350R is going to have to post up a killer time @ VIR for me to be impressed enough that it is SO much better than the latest model GT500 to dethrone it from KOTH status. Even if it does slightly better time wise than the GT500 means it will be a fail in my eyes.

The direct competitor to the GT350R is the 2015 Camaro Z/28. It has a time of 2:49.3 @ VIR. The Camaro ZL1 is 2:57.5 (faster than the 13/14 Shelby, its direct competitor). The Boss LS's competitor is the Camaro SS 1LE which is 3:01.5 (very close times with the Boss but kills the '15 GT time). It will be a VERY hard sell for the R to match or beat the Z/28's time on that track.

Not an official time...................but this person has a vid on youtube saying a R has lapped Laguna Seca in 1:40 or so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLLjudEUpss

but this video has Randy Pobst driving the 2013 GT500 around Laguna Seca in.........................well watch the video and you'll find out + all the complaining he has about it being a handful to drive and the brake problems the car had (supposedly).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKWyxEuwKWg

The R is a nice ride but it's got BIG shoes to fill to take the place of the King.

Tony

I'll see you in Daytona. I'll be working the chute and the guy letting you on the track, so stop by and say hello.

39Mustang

Established Member
If you want a race between the two with pro drivers sorry but the GT350 is going to put a whoopin on the GT500 for two easy reasons, the GT350 is much lighter therefore negating the GT500's HP advantage and the GT350 has a track race ready suspension on it and the GT500 does not. I have a 2008 Shelby GT/SC that's been seriously upgraded with Griggs suspension and because my Shelby GT is so much lighter the faster GT500 could never pass me on the track.

I both cars and huge fan of the 5.8 engine but sad to say the new cars always gets the attention

Cman01

hello
Established Member
The power/weight ratio between the GT350 and the R is nowhere close to what the 13/14 Shelby's ratio is.................do the math, and we're not talking about what your heavily modded Shelby GT can do compared to a regular GT500. A 13/14 GT500 can be modded with the same stuff, weight taken out also and be totally competitive with your SGT.

When mods are on the table all bets are off.

cluscher

Established Member
If you want a race between the two with pro drivers sorry but the GT350 is going to put a whoopin on the GT500 for two easy reasons, the GT350 is much lighter therefore negating the GT500's HP advantage and the GT350 has a track race ready suspension on it and the GT500 does not. I have a 2008 Shelby GT/SC that's been seriously upgraded with Griggs suspension and because my Shelby GT is so much lighter the faster GT500 could never pass me on the track.

I both cars and huge fan of the 5.8 engine but sad to say the new cars always gets the attention

Disagree. My '07 GT500 has a built motor with aluminum block putting down 700 to the wheel and a full Griggs TT chassis. I've also driven a trinity GT500 quite a bit on track, and that car stock out of the box has great power and handles great. My car and the 13-14 GT500 aren't all that far off. The weight of a 350 is 3800 lbs (non-R), so there is not a significant weight advantage there. If you put comparable wheels and tires on a trinity GT500 and GT350, it will not be a "whoopin" in my humble opinion.

If a 13-14 GT500 could not keep up with your car on track it's because of the driver. My first 07GT500 that was tastefully modded was faster than a Griggs equipped Shelby GT/SC another guy had that I ran a couple of track days with. They were different cars with different strengths, but ran similar laps times. My current GT500 is about 5 seconds faster than my old one on my home track.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
A 350 is around 3650lbs. the R loses about 120 lbs. according to the mags.

13/14 GT500 is around 3850 add about 35lbs. for TP.

cluscher

Established Member
On another site a new 350 track pack car was weighed and it was 3800 lbs with everything removed from the trunk. Not much of a difference. The 350R is about 3650.

Kapy

Established Member

Again another assumption with no factual data to prove. Others have posted the specifications on both cars, clearly you haven't see or read those specifications either. The GT500 clearly wins in the power to weight ratio category. As for track ready suspension, the GT500 has that as well. But none of us will know until like you said two professional drivers prove it.

1971mach1

Established Member
Cluscher, I can't agree with you more. I also track my car and enjoy seeing the disbelief on the faces of the Porsche and z/28 guys when they ask me what mods have I done to my 13 gt500 and I say its stock all they way down to the goodyears except the springs and the ford racing mufflers. I have run 5 track days at The Ridge Motorsport Park and have not had problems with heat or brake problems. I'm sure the gt350r is better around the track than 13-14 gt500's but I bet it will be would be close with cup 2 tires and wheels as you suggested. 1/4 mile race wouldn't be close, nor would any roll or top speed race. I'm glad ford came out with the gt350r and I hope it's better than the z/28, but my 13 gt500 will be with me for a very long time.i hope to someday pick up a gt350r.

cluscher

Established Member
Ah, The Ridge is my home track too. We'll have to catch up. I'm an instructor for PCA, BMW and Turn 2, so I typically run days with those groups. How about you?

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
Ah, The Ridge is my home track too. We'll have to catch up. I'm an instructor for PCA, BMW and Turn 2, so I typically run days with those groups. How about you?

whats the best way to run the ridge for a full track day? I'm not interested in $250 for 30mins of track time.

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
All I know is I want one of each, a '13-'14 GT500 and a '16 GT350R

They're both awesome in their own ways, the GT500 with its tire-frying torque and the GT350R with its precission handling and 8200-RPM screams.

Yes, I want one of each :D

cluscher

Established Member
whats the best way to run the ridge for a full track day? I'm not interested in $250 for 30mins of track time.

If you have experience, Turn 2 is about $300 for seven 20 minute sessions. If you have never been to that track PCA offers the same amount of track time for a little cheaper, and their instruction is better. Anyone can sign up for a PCA day, but there won't be many Mustangs out there.

1971mach1

Established Member
Clusher , I have been driving with HOD (hooked on driving) maybe next year I will join you. I will PM you so we don't get too far off topic here.

Last edited:

ObieFox

Established Member
The 13/14 GT500's are in a tough spot these days. The 350 is beating them on the track and the Hellcats are beating them on the strip. They are awesome cars but time and technology marches on....

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread