Enjoying car with 2.3tvs ???

mustang024

Established Member
Hi guys just picked up a 2013 5.0 MT-82 recently and picked up a vmp kit. Now after reading a bunch of threads about everybody spinning through 1St and 2nd gear I am questioning if I made the right choice.
What tire are you guys running on these TVS on the street. Looking to run a 15" rim. Seems that is what most guys are running on the rear.
What's the biggest tire we can stuff under an S197 5.0 . without rubbing issues

TType85

Established Member
I have a Roush TVS with a 82mm pully and a VMP tune on my A6 2013 and it is a lot of fun. With the 19" 255 tires below 60 I can light them up easily but it is a lot of fun to drive. You don't have to rev very high before it makes power vs a centri. I am interested in the answer on the tires too.

clinton2003

Established Member
you dont have to run it full out.... remember that... just because you can spin the tires doesnt mean you should...

any tire is fine as long as you have throttle control, which comes from experience. you dont need a 15 to get good traction, you can run bigger wheels and still get great traction. Lots of different tires, Continental Extreme DW, R888, and others are great traction/tire life.

but to answer your question, i fit a NT05R 305/45r18 under my car on 2010 gt500 vert rims (18x9.5) without any issues. Probably going to go to a nt555 g2 or NT05 295/45r18 to get a longer life out of them, as the nt05r only lasts about 4-5k miles....

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Never been a fan of Nitto^ Had multiple sets and didn't like. I just replaced my rears from M/T ET Street I's to Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's in 275/40/17. These tires feel great & are Tire Racks highest rated ultra high performance summer. Can't yet give a "hooking" review, I'm out of boost in the Florida heat with the Cobra. I have to DD it for a couple of weeks cause the 5.0's AC compressor took a dump.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Mt et street SS hooked my 640 whp TVS GT500 just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

OX1

Established Member
Mt et street SS hooked my 640 whp TVS GT500 just fine.

I heated up my 305 MT ET STREET S/S's until I had two grooves in the driveway.
Then I tried a track like launch. They still didn't hook for crap for me.
Not sure anything really will on the street (without working the throttle).

20171013_164503.jpg

20171013_164512.jpg

I'm auto and 40-90 is no issue though. Lots of fun, pulls really hard.

basspro302

Established Member
Not alot of cars will hook on asphalt with a seal coat lol. But anyways you will have trouble with that much instant torque on radials.

Edit
What gear ratio do you have in the rear?

Gruca

Established Member
Well if you don’t enjoy it, trade me for my Paxton. Drives like stock until you floor it...

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
you dont have to run it full out.... remember that... just because you can spin the tires doesnt mean you should...

any tire is fine as long as you have throttle control, which comes from experience. you dont need a 15 to get good traction, you can run bigger wheels and still get great traction. Lots of different tires, Continental Extreme DW, R888, and others are great traction/tire life....

That's some sage wisdom there^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've had opportunity recently to run 3 different sets of wheels/tires on my 2.3L TVS-equipped 2010 Roush (625whp). For a short time, I ran a set of 18" wheels/tires with BFG tires that looked almost new, but were 14 years old. Driving on them was like driving on ice, haha.

My 'normal' set was the OEM 20" wheels/tires, which were 8 years old Coopers. They would spin easy, but nowhere near as dangerous as the 14-year old tires.

Then a couple of months ago I bought new Falken tires for the 20" wheels, using 285/35 in rear, and the difference in traction was amazing. Plus the ride quality improved substantially. So I guess new, softer tires actually provide two benefits: better traction and smoother ride.

OX1

Established Member
Not alot of cars will hook on asphalt with a seal coat lol. But anyways you will have trouble with that much instant torque on radials.

Edit
What gear ratio do you have in the rear?

Yeah, I gave up trying. Got a Fusion Sport with a tune for a daily.
That things dead hooks with 400+ ft-lbs, even in the rain.

Users who are viewing this thread