Engine tick!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
Ok everyone I got the car back and the sound is gone!!! I have a picture of the new assembly I did get the same timing cover as pictured on page three.

Here's the pic
298965f0.jpg

Get your cars in if you have the tick!

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
Ok everyone I got the car back and the sound is gone!!! I have a picture of the new assembly I did get the same timing cover as pictured on page three.

Here's the pic
298965f0.jpg

Get your cars in if you have the tick!

Glad they fixed it for u. I kinda like the idler pulley setup better than the stretch belt. I might do this tsb in spring. I should just have to tap the cover. My car was built 10/11. Just have to double check the motor date.

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
Can you get the TSB done without the knock? Im not sure if mine is doing the exact same thing, although i do hear a strange sound in between 1k and 2k and my car was built 03/11. the sound is more pronounced since getting my LTs installed.

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
I think TSB's can only be done if your car exhibits the problem. It's not like a recall when they have to do it.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
Slamdcoop, just to be sure, it was this sound that your engine exibited and not something different?

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB-F409uegg"]2011 Mustang GT 5.0 engine tick - YouTube[/nomedia]

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
No that is not my noise. Mine was coming from the front of the engine down low. It's was a tick, tick,tick.............tick, tick.......... And so on the video you posted sounds like valve train since its consistent. Mine was very intermentent but the noise almost sounded like that though. Whatever I had, it came from front cover for sure.

kevinp

Established Member
Sounds like an easy way to diagnose this tick, just remove the ac belt and see if this type of tick goes away.

+1

My car had both the 'ignitor' tick and what sounded like a main bearing knock. Before I put the blower on I cut the A/C belt and the knock was gone. But the ignitor tick was still there, after a while it went away and still occasionally makes a return. Luckily its somewhat buried in the new loud injectors that came with the blower..

Thumbs up to Ford for doing away with that stupid non-tensioned A/C belt, to save 20.00 per car on an A/C tensioner they will have to pay 75.00 per car to fix it now lol.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
+1

My car had both the 'ignitor' tick and what sounded like a main bearing knock. Before I put the blower on I cut the A/C belt and the knock was gone. But the ignitor tick was still there, after a while it went away and still occasionally makes a return. Luckily its somewhat buried in the new loud injectors that came with the blower..

Thumbs up to Ford for doing away with that stupid non-tensioned A/C belt, to save 20.00 per car on an A/C tensioner they will have to pay 75.00 per car to fix it now lol.

it probably was fine in testing and the noise was probably nothing. But people cry like girls over everything. Yeah stupid ford for trying to save money and weight. learn what your talking about first buddy.

kevinp

Established Member
it probably was fine in testing and the noise was probably nothing. But people cry like girls over everything. Yeah stupid ford for trying to save money and weight. learn what your talking about first buddy.

LOL, yea OK 'buddy,' they could leave the roof off to save money and weight too.

Ford screwed up period, the no tensioner serpentine thing has been tried before on foreign cars and it didnt work then and it wont work now.

Mine was loud enough to hear with the hood closed, maybe one day when they let you off the oil change rack you will figure out there is more to a car than a drain plug and dipstick.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
No that is not my noise. Mine was coming from the front of the engine down low. It's was a tick, tick,tick.............tick, tick.......... And so on the video you posted sounds like valve train since its consistent. Mine was very intermentent but the noise almost sounded like that though. Whatever I had, it came from front cover for sure.

+1

Okay, this makes sense now. This TSB is for the tick/knock that some folks complained they could feel through the shifter. The same folks said that it went away when the A/C belt was removed.

So, I was right that this is not a fix for the "ignitor" tick. Well, at least Ford has figured out how to fix one problem that many folks have complained about since the 5.0s were re-released.

kevinp

Established Member
Okay, this makes sense now. This TSB is for the tick/knock that some folks complained they could feel through the shifter. The same folks said that it went away when the A/C belt was removed.

So, I was right that this is not a fix for the "ignitor" tick. Well, at least Ford has figured out how to fix one problem that many folks have complained about since the 5.0s were re-released.

Yea, its two different things IMO. I have an auto so you couldnt feel it in the shifter but if you laid your hand on the valve cover you could really feel it with the knock.

It was definately something to do with the a/c belt, thats what an engineer at Ford told me months ago and I didnt believe him until I cut the belt and it went away. Luckily the Roush blower drive uses a spring tensioner on the a/c belt (thats the belt that drives the blower) and i never heard the knock again.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
LOL, yea OK 'buddy,' they could leave the roof off to save money and weight too.

Ford screwed up period, the no tensioner serpentine thing has been tried before on foreign cars and it didnt work then and it wont work now.

Mine was loud enough to hear with the hood closed, maybe one day when they let you off the oil change rack you will figure out there is more to a car than a drain plug and dipstick.

is not having a power steering pump bad too? just curious.

funny. my belt works fine? shifts awesome in the cold weather. trans is tight as hell. :shrug:

kevinp

Established Member
is not having a power steering pump bad too? just curious.

funny. my belt works fine? shifts awesome in the cold weather. trans is tight as hell. :shrug:

Having no PS pump is great, until you have to fix the electric motor in the rack, you dont get something for nothing. See that big 'ole wire going to power steering rack? Its not there to look cool, it draws a lot of current, time will tell if its a better system than the old hydraulic assist. But I will admit Ford did produce what was possibly the crappiest PS pump on earth so if the electric racks make it out of 3/36 they are doing better than before lol.

Sorry but a bad design is a bad design, leaving off parts to make something lighter and cheaper isnt necessarily a good thing all the time. The knock fix was mainly brought on by F150 owners anyhow, I was told almost a year ago that they will adding a spring tensioner on the new 5.0 because of customer complaints that were verified - not because of people's imaginations.

Until the manufactures can turn out zero runout dampers, A/C clutches and belts that are 100% true a spring tensioner is the way to go. I remember when Ford VVT carbs were the 'wave of the future' - not every new idea is a winner..

thelegend9312

They never did say what the problem was on my car. I labeled it the "ignitor" tick about 18 months back because of how it sounds, not because of what causes it. I ended up going to the dealer close to 10 times on it, with several different engineers looking at it on different occasions. No one seemed to know.

At first, they said the mystery additive would cure the problem. Then, when I changed my oil, they said I didn't leave it in long enough, and they put it in again. So, I went 5000 miles, but it came right back.

The reason I'm not sure the mystery additive was XL-17 is this: When they put an additive in mine, the sound was silenced INSTANTLY until the next oil change. In posts from other folks, their tick did not go away with XL-17. Of course, they might not have had the same tick, so who knows.

On one or two occasions, Ford hinted on the "normal operating characteristic" response. But, by that time, they had already begun trying to fix it, so they couldn't hang their hat on it. Different weights of oil won't fix it either.

Eventually, I got a new engine. It had about 10k miles on it when they finally changed it out. By that time, I had already filed the lawsuit, and it's unclear whether that was a factor on whether they changed the motor out. Note, I ended up with the settlement because of this problem and one other smaller issue.

BTW, the person who's car is in that YouTube video claims he got a new engine also. I have heard of several others recently who were successful in getting a new engine.

My cluster is chronicled here:

2011 Mustang 5.0 Engine Problem . . . and Ford's Strange Fix - Ford Mustang Forums

2011 Mustang 5.0 Engine Problems Again - Ford Mustang Forums

Yay for me, the ignitor tick is back - Ford Mustang Forums

OP, good luck. Unfortunately, the hotter the ambient temperature (and the motor), the more prevalent the tick. So, I suspect this will seem to get worse for you when summer rolls around. Others have said their ignitor tick went away with break-in, so maybe that will happen for you.

I'm on my second new mustang first my 11 got the tick at 9500 and had it till 30k. Ford replaced all my timing chain components, cam phasers and lifters. That didn't work so after multiple trips to the dealer I just got tired of dealing with it and also hearing it. So I traded it in on a 2012. I figured what's the chance it happens to this one...sure enough two days ago I hear it for the first time. Same noise from the same place with the same symptoms. I'm so frustrated with it, its amazing. It goes to ford tomorrow. I'm shooting for a new motor. Thank you for all your info. It shows me that Ford has been replacing motors because of this issue. I will keep everyone posted as I get new info. I bought this one December 15, 2011 and have 7500 on it now.

Last edited:

thelegend9312

So took the car in today and of course they heard the tick. There was nothing they could do until Ford oks some kind of work. I also called corporate and started a trouble ticket and should hear back from them no later than Wednesday. I'm wondering how common this tick is. I went to two other dealers in socal and they never heard of.it or had any 5.0 come in with it. I think I just had bad luck by getting two cars with the tick. I'm hoping to just get a new motor so I can move last this. any info would be appreciated.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
So took the car in today and of course they heard the tick. There was nothing they could do until Ford oks some kind of work. I also called corporate and started a trouble ticket and should hear back from them no later than Wednesday. I'm wondering how common this tick is. I went to two other dealers in socal and they never heard of.it or had any 5.0 come in with it. I think I just had bad luck by getting two cars with the tick. I'm hoping to just get a new motor so I can move last this. any info would be appreciated.

yeah ok. two posts. and from ca.

Min03

Established Member
The tick you are hearing is a TSB which ranges from a belt or tensioner. I have a 2011 F-150 5.0 and it had a bad tick which developed after the first oil change. I'm a service advisor at a ford dealership so im able to look into such issues. On my truck several components were changed water pump, timing chain components and knock sensors on the pass side only. I still hear the noise sometime but its faint. I suggest that you keep pushing the issue with your service dept. even consult your salesman getting them involved can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread