Engine tick!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
Just changed my oil to royal purple 5w20 before my procharger install and I have an engine tick now. Car has 3600 miles on it. Any ideas? not constant ticking just at idle. Should I change to a different oil? Help! Lol

corepwn

Established Member
I really hate reading about this, it scares the shit out of me. Everyone will tell you to take it to the dealer, but I don't know how much they will help or give you the finger because your car was tuned.

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
I just changed to synthetic, I have 9900 miles. I have not noticed a tick, but should I not have done this? Was unaware of such an issue...

corepwn

Established Member
I just changed to synthetic, I have 9900 miles. I have not noticed a tick, but should I not have done this? Was unaware of such an issue...

As far as I know there's no reason at all not to use a full synthetic, the issue is that there seems to be either a vocal minority (possible) or just a quite a bit of cars that exhibit a tick after their first oil change.

I've yet to read of actual resolution from Ford on this either.

Bluebolt

Hold my beer n watch this
Established Member
Mine has the cold start noise at 2500-3000 rpm that there is a tsb for. I tried to get the dealer to do the tsb yesterday but I couldn't get the sound to replicate at the dealer (engine was warm:bash:) so they wouldn't do tsb. :cuss:

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
Its just an additive they dump in the oil. Seats the valve train. Relax not a big deal.

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
I might try just going back to a the motorcraft 5w20 since technically that's what's ford says to put in it. I just was listening to it again and it's not all the time. Just an intermitten tick. Idk

Lone Star

Established Member
I have the tick on mine and have since after the first oil change to full synthetic oil. Have an appointment with the dealer on the 4th of January, it is louder when cold but still noticeable when hot and driving next to other cars or jersey wall on the highway. I will get a rental compliments of the dealer so even if I had to leave it for the rare chance to noise doesn't rear it's ugly head. They can keep it as long as it takes to fix. I will let everyone know the results.

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
It has to be the oil being to thin. I don't think it's hurting anything. Has anyone tried just going back to the original ford oil after it started ticking with the oil change?

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
I might try just going back to a the motorcraft 5w20 since technically that's what's ford says to put in it. I just was listening to it again and it's not all the time. Just an intermitten tick. Idk

you'll be fine. It might be the ignitor (Igniter?) tick. My car had the tick for 7500 miles, put Royal purple 5w-20 in it at 4k miles. Installed the procharger at 7500 miles and have had no tick at all.

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
you'll be fine. It might be the ignitor (Igniter?) tick. My car had the tick for 7500 miles, put Royal purple 5w-20 in it at 4k miles. Installed the procharger at 7500 miles and have had no tick at all.

So yours started after the oil change also? What would oil have to do with an igniter tick?
Ok cool I'll see what happens because I'll be installing my procharger kit next week. What exactly is the igniter tick? From the coil to plug? Or is it a tick in the cylinder?

Last edited:

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Ok cool I'll see what happens because I'll be installing my procharger kit next week. What exactly is the igniter tick? From the coil to plug? Or is it a tick in the cylinder?

i have no clue what it is, it's probably not from the cylinder head or any of the valvetrain, i think.. that tick would be constant.

Yours is not constant right? It ticks sometimes when the cars cold/hot? and when you rev it a little (slowly till Around 3k) and when youre cruising by barriers at 2-3k rpms can you hear the tick?

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
i have no clue what it is, it's probably not from the cylinder head or any of the valvetrain, i think.. that tick would be constant.

Yours is not constant right? It ticks sometimes when the cars cold/hot? and when you rev it a little (slowly till Around 3k) and when youre cruising by barriers at 2-3k rpms can you hear the tick?

No it's not constant at all. I had my gf rev it a little and sometimes it doesn't do it. But I can here it more down in the wheel well when I do here it(no its not a knocking at all just a tick) yes when it's revved slow is when it does it. I can only here it when I'm not moving or barely moving at slow speeds. So your saying to give the procharger tune a shot to see if it fixes it? Is your procharger loud could that be why you don't here it?

kevinp

Established Member
Mine started ticking on nthe first oil change (1100 miles) using motorcraft 5w20 blend (factory fill supposedly), but it went away after a couple thousand miles.

I went ahead and did the blower anyhow soon after (1200 miles) and 7000 miles later its still pretty quiet, even though the 'ignitor tick' does make an occasional return. But its much harder to hear since the bigger injectors are pretty loud. I'm using Mobil one extended full synth 5w30 now, it didnt make any more noise when I started using it.

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E99PGLm6Gw&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]2011 mustang gt motor ticking 2 - YouTube[/nomedia]

Sounds like that but not as consistent.

BRNG ITT

Established Member
Its just an additive they dump in the oil. Seats the valve train. Relax not a big deal.

You hit the nail on the head. Ford is adding a friction modifier to vehicles at the factory for valve train noise ( XL-7 ) People are changing their oil prior to the recommended 7,500-10,000 mile range and not allowing the friction modifier to properly seat the valve train for a good 5,000-7,000 miles. Most people experiencing the noise are doing thier first oil change between 3,000-5,000 miles. This combined with 5W-20 oil gets you your infamous ticking noise.

Mind you, this ticking is an ENTIRELY SEPERATE issue from the tapping noise from the timing chain guide and tensioner TSB that sounds like the pilot lighter on a gas grill.

Adding XL-7 and letting it do it's job for ATLEAST 5,000 miles will most likely fix this issue than is more of an annoyance than a problem.

BRNG ITT

Established Member
XL-3 is for Dino oil
XL-7 is for synthetics

As far as RP goes, I'm not sure if they use any sort of friction modifiers in their engine oil or not. Perhaps someone else will chime in, or you could always give their tech line a call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread