Engine tick!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
after reading this thread i started focusing and searching for any noise. i can hear really low ticks under mild acceleration. i cant hear anything when the car is idling or revving...cars performance is not affected. I dont want to drop it when they wont know what the issue is.. any advice? I had #8 and a connecting rod replaced last summer, It took them more than a week to figure out whats wrong and my car was at the dealer for about a month

If you had the issue, you would not have to search for it. It is pretty pronounced and audible.

This sound is a mix between an exhaust leak/rattle/tapping between 1-2k rpms under light load.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
2011 Mustang 5.0 with the infamous ticking sound? - YouTube

this is what the timming chain tensioners and all that fix. You can hear it especially when he puts the camara on the floor. The engine tick is totally different. I STILL have the engine tick

I'm confused about what you're talking about, even after watching the video you posted.

Below, video #1 is the ignitor tick. Video #2 is a chirpy/ticky thing most prevalent from behind the front passenger wheel -- my dealer was unable to fix it, and many have said they have it and it's a normal sound for this engine. Video #3 is of a car that actually has both (though the owner, who posted here, has only complained about the ignitor tick).

Which one are you saying is fixed with the chain tensioners?

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB-F409uegg"]2011 Mustang GT 5.0 engine tick - YouTube[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vO65gQUNYg"]2011 mustang tick - YouTube[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TeFix0OElw"]2011 5.0 Mustang engine TICK after oil change - YouTube[/nomedia]

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
Ok update from ford. They replaced the timing tensioner and guide on the drivers side only not all the other parts like i thought. So basically they did they tsb that ford has out for the drivers side timing set. With that said they started the car and the noise was still there but not as bad. But they took the accessory belt off again and the noise goes away i guess. So they tore the timing cover off again to take a look and make sure everything was tight and it was so they put it all back together again and they noise i guess was a little louder this time as of today. so with that said a FSE is being flown down to my dealer on monday to look/work on my car. Im hoping at this point he just decides to give me a motor. So with what some of you said you were right. It didnt fix anything haha.

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
Ok new update everyone.

Well the FSE was suppose to come down and look at my car but monday was a holiday and was suppose to be here today wednesday. But I guess the FSE called my dealer and said that ford just released a new TSB this morning or yesterday for the engine ticking sound like mine has and is suppose to be the fix! i guess it includes a different timing cover design and different parts behind the cover. So im wondering if im getting the cover that is on the front of that guys engine that posted on page 3. I will know more tomorrow.

SicShelby09

Banned
Ok new update everyone.

Well the FSE was suppose to come down and look at my car but monday was a holiday and was suppose to be here today wednesday. But I guess the FSE called my dealer and said that ford just released a new TSB this morning or yesterday for the engine ticking sound like mine has and is suppose to be the fix! i guess it includes a different timing cover design and different parts behind the cover. So im wondering if im getting the cover that is on the front of that guys engine that posted on page 3. I will know more tomorrow.

Hell yeah man. This is good news for anyone with the tick, and anyone scared to get it like me. If they figure it out, then Im sure almost all the 11's will be under the TSB. Man I hope this works out for you. Keep us posted.

:pop:

DEADLY FORCE

Established Member
Sounds like an easy way to diagnose this tick, just remove the ac belt and see if this type of tick goes away.

Last edited:

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
So from these TSB you posted it looks like I'm getting the new cover for sure like I said earlier but I guess the install is to ad an idler pully and tensioner just for the ac. Should be interesting since now I know this is what I'm getting and hopefully it fixes it.

Last edited:

DEADLY FORCE

Established Member
The new timing cover design pictured on page three looks like it would be much easier to install the FEAD belt system for the Roush and and Whipple setups with a lot less cutting involved, I hope that with the new cover we're still able to install the twin screw supercharger kits. I'm sure FORD thought of that though. And that could be possibly why they took away the ribs/fins on on the passenger side, or with the new setup it got in the way. I know the new 5.0 alumanators from Ford Racing includes the machined front cover for the Ford Racing Supercharger FEAD system.

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
Ok so ford called and said that the noise is gone!!!!!! They replaced the timing cover with a new design(im assuming its whats on the motor thats pictured on page 3) a new idler pulley and tensioner just for the ac. they said the stretchy belt is gone and has a new belt just like for the rest of the accessories. They are going to keep the car overnight and fire it up in the morning to make sure it is gone for sure before they give it back. they were test driving i guess for a while and couldnt get the car to make the noise. They are really taking care of me.

SicShelby09

Banned
Ok so ford called and said that the noise is gone!!!!!! They replaced the timing cover with a new design(im assuming its whats on the motor thats pictured on page 3) a new idler pulley and tensioner just for the ac. they said the stretchy belt is gone and has a new belt just like for the rest of the accessories. They are going to keep the car overnight and fire it up in the morning to make sure it is gone for sure before they give it back. they were test driving i guess for a while and couldnt get the car to make the noise. They are really taking care of me.

Awesome man. Tick be gone. Now lets hope they dont take your car out and hotrod the shit out of it!!

:beer:

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
Awesome man. Tick be gone. Now lets hope they dont take your car out and hotrod the shit out of it!!

:beer:

Haha lets hope not! They tech who was working on my car was an older guy who was really cool when i went in to talk to him he had my car completely covered except the engine bay so nothing would touch or get on the car. Made me feel much better. lol

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
Congrats. Either your tick wasn't the "ignitor" tick, or they have finally figured out how to solve the ignitor tick without having to replace the engine.

I didn't think that new TSB was for the ingnitor tick but maybe I was wrong.

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
Congrats. Either your tick wasn't the "ignitor" tick, or they have finally figured out how to solve the ignitor tick without having to replace the engine.

I didn't think that new TSB was for the ingnitor tick but maybe I was wrong.

Yeah im hoping this is it! Its been 2 1/2 weeks without my car and i have this brand new procharger kit just setting on the floor waiting go on lol.

Yeah im hoping also that this is the for sure fix for everyone that has the tick or who might get it in the future. The tech kept saying that everytime he took the belts off the noise would go away so idk. Id really like to know the exact reason or cause of the ticking. But tomorrow morning will tell for sure i guess when they fire it up and let it warm up. Its sucks to because if it is the fix im on shift tomorrow at the fire house so i wont be able to pick it up until saturday morning. Ill post as i hear more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread