Votes: 129 22.2%
  • Had tick, fix attempted, tick back

Votes: 33 5.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

COBRAJIM9999

Established Member
I have an engine tick which was not orginally there when I got my new cobra but has begun I guess around 500 miles and has not gone away. In a test to see what was wrong I changed the catalytic convertor's off another Cobra to verify the noise was not coming from the cat's. The sound is from both banks but the driver's side of the car is considerably louder. Once the car was on a lift it sounds like a exhause leak as it echos inside the cats but there was no leak. The SSM that some people have described on here was preformed but did not fix the problem. Ford Hotline told the service department that they were aware of the problem and that they were working on a solution. I was curious to see how many people out there are in the same boat. The interesting thing about this is the car runs very well, idles smooth and does everything great but the engine ticks bugs me. I hope a solution is found soon so I can continue to enjoy a great car. I found putting in Mobil 1 absolutely made tick quieter.

Last edited:

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
I got the tick after I changed my oil the last time. I had the dealership change it the first 2 times and I had Jiffy Pube change it the last time. They used Penziol oil and filter. It must be the oil. I watched them put in 6.5 quarts of 5w20, but the oil charecteristics must be different becuase I got the tick instantly after the change.

I will report back when I change it with the ford oil. I think I may go mobile 1 5w30. Not sure yet.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Jimbo - maybe you should add, Have tick and awaiting fix that works!

I have had the caps retorqued, w/o success. I was also instructed to try 5w30, but that didn't help either.

i8u

Established Member
Sheeeit, Run it to redline anyway! After all I did get the 100K warenty. I'm sure I go through a few motors by then anyway.:shrug: :beer:

COBRAJIM9999

Established Member
TO TICK OR NOT TO TICK THAT IS THE QUESTION

Cute answer there Eric and yes like you I fall into the same category. I hope they come up with a fix soon. I called SVT and spoke to them at length. They are aware of problem but also do not know when fix is coming but at least they did know about it.

Cobra'03

Established Member
I am starting to think it is related to lifter leakdown rates - I wonder if Ford tightened them up to reduce emissions, and now is stuck with the tendency of such a mod to make them sound like mechanical lifters. They may have fiddled with valve springs, valvetrain girdle design or torque sequence, oil viscosity (we know that), lobe design and orientation, and other things that affect lifter operation. Not sure why some engines have it, others don't - that may be a happy consequence of all the variables being just so, or simply that some run their engines harder than others, and the problems just has not showed up yet.

Here is how a hydraulic valv operates:
When the lifter is riding on the low point of the cam, the plunger spring keeps the plunger and push rod seat in contact with the push rod. When the lifter body begins to ride up the cam lobe, the ball check valve cuts off the transfer of oil from the reservoir below the plunger. The plunger and lifter body then rise as a unit, pushing up the push rod and opening the valve. As the lifter body rides down the other side of the cam, the plunger follow with it until the valve closes. The lifter body continues to follow the cam to its low point, but the plunger spring keeps the plunger in contact with the push rod. The ball check valve will then move off its seat and the lifter reservoir will remain full. During operation a small amount of oil leaks out of the lifter between the plunger and body. A controlled amount of leakage is important to provide continuous adjustment of the plunger position within the lifter. This leakage is called "leak down" and must be within certain limits to provide correct operation.

The leakage amount is dependent on the following factors: time for a complete cycle, which in turn is dependent on engine rpm, thickness of the oil, which is dependent on temperature of the oil and the oil viscosity, and resistance seen by the lifter, which is dependent on the valve spring pressure and lobe configuration.

Last edited:

TruBlu03

The tick is getting louder and more noticeable in mine,(2nd run YDH0) 1100+ miles now. It also stalled again today, this is the third stall so far, no idea why, just crapped out turning into a parking lot. Not sure what the tick is, Cobra'03 seems to have something, the stall problem seems more of a tune issue than anything to me.

CaptK2003

Established Member
Originally posted by Fred G
Hi Guys,
Happy to report still tickless after 375 miles of driving after re-torque.

Hey Fred,

Could you tell me who fixed your tick? I would like to schedule an appointment. I not only have the tick but the dash now rattles and I get an occasional clunk. I assume this clunk is coming from the transmission.
Thanks -Steve

COBRAJIM9999

Established Member
tick seems to be getting louder

Ran the car for the longest time I have ever run car in one shot and the tick seemed to get louder as the day went on. This is not a happy thought.The sounds reminds me of a loose rocker arm on OHV motors but I do not know for sure. Going to schedule another appointment and see what happens. I'll post after the next attempt is completed.

03DOHC

Established Member
LLCoolStang- Try resetting your computer for your stall.

COBRAJIM9999- There is a new SSM for the tick, SSM3963. I believe it's different than the other one.

CaptK2003- The clunk is a Mustang thing.

COBRAJIM9999

Established Member
Another follow up

Had dealership call ford service hotline today and they told the service manager that they have torn down a 2003 cobra to investigate the noise and they will update as soon as they can. This is the information I was given within the hour by Ford. Hopefully this will get fixed soon.

Mojo03

Established Member
tick

Bought mine in July. 8k miles. No tick. What's it sound like? Like an old set of valves clacking?

RED '03

Established Member
Got the same tick. Started at 500 miles on drivers side. Heard Ford is working on a fix, probably will not be ready for a couple of months.

coleman

Established Member
i'm in the "not-smart enough to know if i have an engine tick or not" :kaboom:

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra'03

Here is how a hydraulic valv operates:
(snip) The plunger and lifter body then rise as a unit, pushing up the push rod and opening the valve.

Push rod? My Cobra ain't got no steenkin' push rods....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread