• Had tick, fix attempted, tick back

Votes: 33 5.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

COBRAJIM9999

Established Member
Tick update

I have spoken to a few people about tick everyone had different opionion. The one I trust told me to wait till June for new cyl head design current heads stripe or no stripe are the same. Tick is there is some and not in others Ford is aware but no one and I mean no one can tell me what is generating the noise. I have talked to svt engineers ford hotline engineers if you really bitch they will give you a whole new engine assy but remember since problem has not been fixed it could come back. Some people are lucky i was not. Currently going to wait till June and see what happens. I have not seen or heard of any failures from this problem.

predator

Established Member
My car is completely stock. I have about 1,300 miles and only hear a tick when it is first started. After it warms up I don't notice it anymore. Reminds me of lifters pumping up. The only time I have a rough idle is if I run the rpms up for awhile and then come to a stop. It seems that the computer is trying to catch up with itself and then it eventually smooths out. Just my experience.

tom schumacher

Established Member
when i picked up my 03 cobra, it was parked with a car on each side of it , i started the engine and heard the tick immediatly. took it directly to service dept. they said it sounded the same as the two cobras that had come in before mine. they said ford had a tsb on the 03 cobras. i brought the car back later and they torked the cam plates, no tick and it runs great.

dmreitz

Established Member
Lansing, IL (Chi. Suburb on Indiana border)
2 Solutions for the tick:

1) Step on the gas and listen to your aftermarket exhaust drown out everything else (only for temporary tick relief. Symptoms may return when not stepping on gas).

2) Turn up your radio until the tick goes away.

Glad I could help... :)

red03cobra

2003 Cobra & 1990 Notch
Established Member
Damn irritating for a new $35,000 car to tick like a old '75 Mercedes! I am fixing mine by reporting heads and rebuilding engine after wrist pin fell out due to assemblers failing to put in retaining clips. Yes i plan to sue, as Ford denied warranty claim due to aftermarket chip and smaller pulley! Yeah I know extra performance does not cause retaining clips to disappear.

Last edited:

POINTCOVER

Established Member
Re: Tick update

Originally posted by COBRAJIM9999
I have spoken to a few people about tick everyone had different opionion. The one I trust told me to wait till June for new cyl head design current heads stripe or no stripe are the same. Tick is there is some and not in others Ford is aware but no one and I mean no one can tell me what is generating the noise. I have talked to svt engineers ford hotline engineers if you really bitch they will give you a whole new engine assy but remember since problem has not been fixed it could come back. Some people are lucky i was not. Currently going to wait till June and see what happens. I have not seen or heard of any failures from this problem.

PLEASE keep us updated!!!!

venom279

Established Member
It positively cannot be lifters, OHV motors do not have lifters, the valve runs directly off the cam!!

SStupid

Established Member
No Tick

Mine is a first-run car and is stock down to the air silencer. No tick at 14K miles, and I hope it never starts.

COBRAJIM9999

Established Member
New TSB Coming out Tommorow

New TSB concerning engine tick coming out tommorow as soon as I have details so you all you. TSB 03-11-4 concerning Cobra engines built before 11/2/2002

03blacksnake

Time Traveler
Established Member
Re: New TSB Coming out Tommorow

Originally posted by COBRAJIM9999
New TSB concerning engine tick coming out tommorow as soon as I have details so you all you. TSB 03-11-4 concerning Cobra engines built before 11/2/2002

Great to hear!

forane2001

Established Member
ticking

when i picked up my 03 cobra, it was parked with a car on each side of it , i started the engine and heard the tick immediatly. took it directly to service dept. they said it sounded the same as the two cobras that had come in before mine. they said ford had a tsb on the 03 cobras. i brought the car back later and they torked the cam plates, no tick and it runs great.

same here.

gw:beer:

jonas

Established Member
they have whats like rocker arms i believe they are called followers

no pushrods and no lifters

COBRAJIM9999

Established Member
Was told it would be up

The TSB bulletin was supposed to be up this morning and I just checked and it is not. As soon as I see It I will update you all. Waiting anxiously Jim:rolleyes:

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Thanks for keeping us informed, Jim. I'm going to give my tech a call on Monday and pass on the number.

:thumbsup:

MarkWanc

Established Member
Jim,

I see that the new TSB that is coming out address issues of Cobra engines made before 11/02/02. I am pretty sure that I have seen posts of some owners with cars (and therefore I assume engines) that were made in 2003 that also have the tick. I am wondering if you may know whether or not Ford supposedly had a fix for engines made after 11/02/02.

Can anyone with a Cobra made anytime in 2003 confirm they have a tick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread