engine swap coming up

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
2000SuperStang said:
ok, I will go ahead and get that then. Also, one other thing. I swapped 4 out of 5 harnesses on the car. The only one I didn't swap is the one for the interior, that runs back to to taillights. I don't plan on using cobra turnsignals, but outside of that, do I need to change this harness?? Will it hook up to the '01 cobra fuel pump that I got?

Yes it should work with no hassles. As long as everything else plugged in, you shall be fine.

(btw..If anyone needs a brand new 01 Cobra interior to taillight harness, I have one availble)

2000SuperStang

Project SuperStang
Established Member
Ok, just for discussion sake, and the fact I'm getting eager to see what this does when finished. What do you think would be the 1/4 mile time on my car when complete? Keep in mind, I'm looking at my car going to be a few hundred pounds lighter than a cobra cuz its an '00 6banger body. The engine is '01 cobra, t3650 tranny, and the mods will be: bbk cai, bbk off-road x pipe, slp loudmouth exhaust, under drive pulleys, and the 4.30 gears. Just want your opinion on horsepower/torque and 1/4 mile expectations, Thanks guys!

Established Member
2000SuperStang said:
Ok, just for discussion sake, and the fact I'm getting eager to see what this does when finished. What do you think would be the 1/4 mile time on my car when complete? Keep in mind, I'm looking at my car going to be a few hundred pounds lighter than a cobra cuz its an '00 6banger body. The engine is '01 cobra, t3650 tranny, and the mods will be: bbk cai, bbk off-road x pipe, slp loudmouth exhaust, under drive pulleys, and the 4.30 gears. Just want your opinion on horsepower/torque and 1/4 mile expectations, Thanks guys!

The body is the same between the two cars. The only thing is that you will have a straight axle 8.8 versus the heavier IRS. You're saving about 80-100 lbs with it. The 1/4 mile depends on your region's elevation, density and the track. There is no way to predict an accurate number because of those factors dude.

2000SuperStang

Project SuperStang
Established Member
Finally the day has come...

The engine has gone in today. Below are pics.. I didn't take too many as I wanted to get as much things done as possible, and also didn't want to get my 800 dollar camera greasy too much. Tomorrow, the rearend and gas tank and fuel pump get swapped. Sunday, I swap brakes to the 10th anniversary red calipers and brembo 13" rotors. There are a few parts I have to get in the meantime... exhaust hangers, throttle cable, radiator hose, and serpentine belt. Things are going great!! I can't wait to turn this thing over, hopefully Monday... Let me know what you guys think...:pepper:

Loosening all wires to old engine:

mustang001.jpg

Taking out the 6 banger:

mustang002.jpg

Empty engine bay:

mustang003.jpg

The dohcammer getting ready to get picked:

mustang006.jpg

Engine in, shot from pass side:

mustang008.jpg

Engine in, shot from driver side:

mustang009.jpg

Engine in, FINALLY!!!!:

mustang007.jpg

Last edited:

Established Member
2000SuperStang said:
Finally the day has come...

The engine has gone in today. Below are pics.. I didn't take too many as I wanted to get as much things done as possible, and also didn't want to get my 800 dollar camera greasy too much. Tomorrow, the rearend and gas tank and fuel pump get swapped. Sunday, I swap brakes to the 10th anniversary red calipers and brembo 13" rotors. There are a few parts I have to get in the meantime... exhaust hangers, throttle cable, radiator hose, and serpentine belt. Things are going great!! I can't wait to turn this thing over, hopefully Monday... Let me know what you guys think...:pepper:

Engine in, FINALLY!!!!:

mustang007.jpg

Looks good man!! I love do-it-yourselfers. :rockon:

Reminds me of mine:

Clean
98214.jpg

Durty
93359.jpg

Established Member
Also, you mentioned that you're changing the gas tank.

With your model year, you would not need to change the tank.

If your 2000 V6 tank HAS the 2nd hole going into the side (next to the filler hole), I suggest you replace it with a 2001 and above with only a single hole on the side so that all your hoses match up and you do not get any error codes etc, but this should not be the case since only the 99 tanks had the 2nd hole in the side, but you never know exactly when the transition took place during the year. All you would need to do is install the fuel pump motor (do not use the Focus bucket), and you're set.

Here is more tank info:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328947&highlight=tank

(more info when you scroll further down)

Good Luck!

Ken

2000SuperStang

Project SuperStang
Established Member
Yep, thats what I was gonna look for, if its the same, I'm not going to swap it, just change pumps. Also, quick question Ken: where can I get the exhaust hangers at? Any website rather then Ford??

Established Member
2000SuperStang said:
Yep, thats what I was gonna look for, if its the same, I'm not going to swap it, just change pumps. Also, quick question Ken: where can I get the exhaust hangers at? Any website rather then Ford??

If you got a new Magnaflow catback, they come in the box. If it's a used set, then you can try an exhaust shop, or just make the trip to Ford.

Part #'s you need are:

XR3Z-5A246-AA for tailpipe hangers

XR3Z-5C263-AA for Muffler hangers

More:

http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/pipes.htm

Ask, and I shall provide the answer.

:rockon:

ctothap

Established Member
this is an awsome thread!!! i have a 99 v6 and a totaled 98 cobra and am getting ready to do this swap myself. lots of great info that i need myself, and im going to be asking alot of questions. good luck

Users who are viewing this thread