Engine CARNAGE...#8... 5L KryPoNITE

cobra1718

Established Member
I did exactly that for myself. No matter what search terms I come up with, I find only three threads pertaining to this. The two here (this one and the one you cite above) and a thread on modular fords where you posted (or someone with same sig) about a ford tech saying they having a problem with this, even when most of the thread is about another issue.

I was leery at first but after my own searches, I think, also, that this is not a huge problem, just exacerbated by Internet screamers. People, before you believe or disbelieve anyone, do your own research. You may be surprised what you find.

If there was a huge problem, things would show up. People who aren't on mustang boards would be asking in google, etc. ford wouldnt tell an honest owner of an unmodded car that he has to keep his mouth shut to get a new motor. Thats akin to extortion. I dunno about yours but my warranty isn't hinged upon any silence agreement. People would talk, people would post and in today's age it can be found. Unfortunately, due to human nature, small issues look larger. Of the hundreds of thousands of mustangs, nearly no one signs up to sing praises. But one guy with a blown motor, denied warranty and an attitude will go sign up on 10 boards or post on 10 he's a member of, abbot how bad the motors are or how bad his treatment is.

the best post in this thread

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
Originally Posted by 1Quick4.6
5 The reason you dont see many... Of the Motors that ford has replaced some have been made to agree not to talk about or post any info of there motor failures in return for a new motor ( i have talk to some is how i know this). why would ford wanna hide it if it was only one guy or if theres no problem

Nodded or unmodded, I'm fairly certain that is highly illegal. Bribery maybe? And why would they buy all these motors for all these people that you claim youve seen and talked to yet let you make a huge fuss? What about the two you talked about sitting at a known tuners shop, why aren't they here backing you up since they nit gettin motors from
Ford? Or is ford giving them custom built fully forged motors I'm exchange for their silence? You can't be the only denied warranty for this problem if there are so many. Either it's not true or your getting hosed. Either way, I could care less. No proof exists and the burden of proof is on you at this point. Still is after 5 pages.

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
Thanks cobra1718. Did ALOT of hunting, trying to find problems because I want to make sure before I mod mine.

1Quick4.6

Established Member
Originally Posted by 1Quick4.6
5 The reason you dont see many... Of the Motors that ford has replaced some have been made to agree not to talk about or post any info of there motor failures in return for a new motor ( i have talk to some is how i know this). why would ford wanna hide it if it was only one guy or if theres no problem

Nodded or unmodded, I'm fairly certain that is highly illegal. Bribery maybe? And why would they buy all these motors for all these people that you claim youve seen and talked to yet let you make a huge fuss? What about the two you talked about sitting at a known tuners shop, why aren't they here backing you up since they nit gettin motors from
Ford? Or is ford giving them custom built fully forged motors I'm exchange for their silence? You can't be the only denied warranty for this problem if there are so many. Either it's not true or your getting hosed. Either way, I could care less. No proof exists and the burden of proof is on you at this point. Still is after 5 pages.

not everyone is on the forum. i named the shop that had two in there right now i just didnt name who tuned them. why dont you call them and see for your self oh and wail your on the phone with them ask them if they think there any issues with number 8, do u need me to give you livernois numbers too??? get your own proof i have found my own.

jonboy688

Established Member
The net is great for a laugh!! I would love to see some type of fact about being told don't talk and we will give your a new motor!!!! For one they would be Joe blow...I am not sure how many customers speak to the engineer in person? I have never seen one at my shop, unless it was a problem a tech couldn't solve, like a werid odor or random issue that could never be duplicated. I promise a good selling service advisor will tell you whatever they feel is the right thing to tell you..if they think telling you ford is only giving you a new motor to hush and not spread the word, will give them a good customer, a good survey etc...

But I will warn, ford engineers are going out of there way to check history of cars!!! So just a friendly word of advise if you choose to bring your car to ford.. For warranty work, don't have any type of shop decal or anything like that one the car. we have had two guys strip there cars completely back to stock, and bring there cars in for major problems, both had shops names on the car... Guess what 30 sec worth of google searches they now leave without a warranty.. This is not the dealerships doing either but the ford engineers!!

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
Bottom line for all of this: There have been some problems (how much is debatable) with the #8 cylinder. If you're unlucky enough to have such a problem, any modding you do (especially tunes) could be used as a scapegoat by Ford even when not to blame.

Whether such modifications are used as a scapegoat depends heavily on the manner in which the matter is communicated to Ford, i.e. how cooperative the dealer is.

There ya go. Glad I could help :)

1Quick4.6

Established Member
Bottom line for all of this: There have been some problems (how much is debatable) with the #8 cylinder. If you're unlucky enough to have such a problem, any modding you do (especially tunes) could be used as a scapegoat by Ford even when not to blame.

Whether such modifications are used as a scapegoat depends heavily on the manner in which the matter is communicated to Ford, i.e. how cooperative the dealer is.

all i was saying thank u. oh by the why guys some one just posted there was another 8 loss in my thread on modular fords ( cai, tune) but hey it word of mouth and theres no thread so don't believe it right

Digital_Synapse

Established Member
believe it or not its true ...but i guess your the type that will believe anything a big company tells ya about there product
I'm not saying I don't think there may be a problem. I'm sure in the build process with new parts, there is a small amount of play for error and things can happen. When I drove off the lot with my brand new stang back in July the air bag lights went on, the passenger airbag wasnt even connected, lol. Got it fixed that day.

Im saying there is no way a company will trade silence for warranty work.

1Quick4.6

Established Member
I'm not saying I don't think there may be a problem. I'm sure in the build process with new parts, there is a small amount of play for error and things can happen. When I drove off the lot with my brand new stang back in July the air bag lights went on, the passenger airbag wasnt even connected, lol. Got it fixed that day.

Im saying there is no way a company will trade silence for warranty work.

thats cool i was just saying what i have come across in my research of this and i have talk to someone that thats what happen to him according to him. since they gave him a motor with ford knowing of all the mods i see not point for him to make up a story. stuff like this has happened in big business before. just saying

Graboid

Established Member
Ya no way this is a issue on a large number of cars. I mean if it were all the tune companies would be going through their files and making sure everything looked straight and the knock sensors werent changed..........O wait nevermind:sleeping:

wtfchuck

Established Member
i find it funny livernois posted about the #8 cyl and how they are releasing a tune... hmm maybe it was there fault and not fords?

shadowstang03gt

Established Member

please go back over to allfordmustangs or mustangsource.

Coyote 5.0

Member BED Racing
Established Member
thats cool i was just saying what i have come across in my research of this and i have talk to someone that thats what happen to him according to him. since they gave him a motor with ford knowing of all the mods i see not point for him to make up a story. stuff like this has happened in big business before. just saying

Well he told you so I guess he violated his agreement!!! LOL just a point that if it was true, they could never keep it covered up. Someone would talk!

silverbullittgt

The DEep SoUth
Established Member
I have a customer that blew up #8 with a Lund tune. Bad fuel+tune=F.U.

I went to bat for the customer and got his engine covered. Do I think it should have been covered?...HELL NO. But Ford made the call so i'm covered.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member

I went to bat for the customer and got his engine covered. Do I think it should have been covered?...HELL NO. But Ford made the call so i'm covered.

nice job. thats what the dealer does where i work. usually they give u one pass.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member

I don't have a tune, but I'm wondering . . .

If you get a tune that is more conservative than the gas you normally run, i.e. install a 91 octane tune while consistently filling up with 93 gas, if that would sufficiently mitigate this risk?

vteckiller2000

Add Lightness
Established Member
I don't have a tune, but I'm wondering . . .

If you get a tune that is more conservative than the gas you normally run, i.e. install a 91 octane tune while consistently filling up with 93 gas, if that would sufficiently mitigate this risk?

Simply install a tune that utilizes the stock knock sensor sensitivity and KR onset. Though I have spoke to a few tuners and they all said the same thing: it looks to be unrelated to knock.

jhager172

Established Member
ok so even though i dont own a new 5.0 and have no experience with the car at all heres what im thinking on it.
its a brand new car, that hasnt been out that long. every car made has issues to begine with, hence why you dont buy the first one made.
the ford engineers put alot of time into this car, how many of you have designed a car from the ground up with 0 problems out of hundreds of thousands of cars? ok then. give ford some time, if they think its all fed up like this guy claims they do, then im sure they will fix it. were there not problems with the 03 cobras? or the 99 cobras? or any other mustang? damn people are always ready to jump onto some kind of bandwagon arent they.

Users who are viewing this thread