Engine build suggestions?

Vnmous1_04

InFamous Racing
Established Member
I plan on building an E85 whipple car: I don't want to keep the stock iron block...what suggestions do you guys have? I know Teksid is popular but are there any others out there that are worth taking a look at? I plan on using the 03-04 cobra heads still...but need suggestions on step 1...the block?!? :shrug:

gabe1530

Banned
what do you want to do with the car? drag, autocross, opentrack? how much are you looking to spend? who do you want to build it?
from your sig i would say you primarily drag. i would either go with the teskid and stock stroke for weight savings and distribution or the boss 5.0 for strength and cubes. both of those you can resuse your internals (minus the pistons) to save a little cash unless you want to stoke it even farther.
up to you.

Vnmous1_04

InFamous Racing
Established Member
what do you want to do with the car? drag, autocross, opentrack? how much are you looking to spend? who do you want to build it?
from your sig i would say you primarily drag. i would either go with the teskid and stock stroke for weight savings and distribution or the boss 5.0 for strength and cubes. both of those you can resuse your internals (minus the pistons) to save a little cash unless you want to stoke it even farther.
up to you.

Well looking to go upgraded supercharger/turbo and c4, Yeah those were the main two I was looking at...If I use the Boss 5.0 what crank and compression would be ideal? What brand I-Beam rods and pistons?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Ironhand

Banned
Well looking to go upgraded supercharger/turbo and c4, Yeah those were the main two I was looking at...If I use the Boss 5.0 what crank and compression would be ideal? What brand I-Beam rods and pistons?

The Boss 5.0 is also iron.

What do you plan on doing with the car? Strictly pump gas? E-85? Big boost? etc.

It helps when trying to narrow down your needs vs. your wants. lol

Vnmous1_04

InFamous Racing
Established Member
The Boss 5.0 is also iron.

What do you plan on doing with the car? Strictly pump gas? E-85? Big boost? etc.

It helps when trying to narrow down your needs vs. your wants. lol

Fuel system will be built for e85 and yeah it will be on race boost at all times lol because it will never see pump gas again lol...I do want aluminum though as I want to shave the weight...so Teksid?!?

gt347mustang

Established Member
Teksid is pretty much the best answer.

Where else can you find an aluminum block for ~$300?

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
The latest "Aluminator" block is just an '05-'10 3V Mustang GT block, p/n 8R3Z-6010-A, cast by Nemak in Ontario. They are fantastic blocks, although a new one from Ford is over $1500. It's just too bad FRPP doesn't sell the bare block any longer.

I got lucky and scored a like-new one for $400, so it will be going in eventunally.

Here's what FRPP had to say about them a while back:

MustangGTAluminatorblock.jpg

Casting number for reference (with Nemak logo above):

8R3Z-6010-A.jpg

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Teksid or Waps can be had for cheap and there is at least one race crew that pumps over 2000 HP through the latter and run 6 teens in the 1/4.

Vnmous1_04

InFamous Racing
Established Member
Lol great the 05-10 block seemed good even if it was 1500 new but not available anymore...damn! Teksid won't be bad either though! So it comes down to the Teksid most likely unless I get a hold of a 05-10 block...on to the crank what to do here? Keep to stock 03-04 cobra seems to be the most common solution!

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Yeah looks like those will end up being the block of choice...any suggestions on crank, rods, pistons and the hardware...suggestions?

When I get around to doing my swap, the stock crank and rods will be going in. I don't race, so might even use OEM pistons as well. Good luck finding a block - even if you buy the Aluminator short-block, it's not a bad deal. You can also buy the 3V short-block and toss everything but the block (again, it's the same block) - that's how I scored mine so cheap.

Also, you can still get the '05-'10 block new from Ford (or Tousley), but it's still more expensive than what it was through FRPP.

Last edited:

gabe1530

Banned
racebronco has a couple blocks for sale or he did. not sure.

i would reuse your cobra crank and rods and get some quality pistons. arp hardware throughout and you should be good.
so are you planning on going with a turbo or supercharger?
what are you going to do with your heads and cams?
running e85 all the time i would get that compression up to 10:1.

Vnmous1_04

InFamous Racing
Established Member
I was thinking same crank, I-Beam rods and 9.5/10:1 compression pistons, arp hardware...I'm either going supercharger or turbo/s thus why I'm leaning more toward 9.5:1 for the just in case I go from supercharger to turbo later...As for the heads and cams I want to get them ported and put a set off custom cams in it...and of course will run on E85

Vnmous1_04

InFamous Racing
Established Member
racebronco has a couple blocks for sale or he did. not sure.

i would reuse your cobra crank and rods and get some quality pistons. arp hardware throughout and you should be good.
so are you planning on going with a turbo or supercharger?
what are you going to do with your heads and cams?
running e85 all the time i would get that compression up to 10:1.

Isn't he from CA?

Ironhand

Banned
I was thinking same crank, I-Beam rods and 9.5/10:1 compression pistons, arp hardware...I'm either going supercharger or turbo/s thus why I'm leaning more toward 9.5:1 for the just in case I go from supercharger to turbo later...As for the heads and cams I want to get them ported and put a set off custom cams in it...and of course will run on E85

Compression will also help spool the turbos.

You dont need I beams(if you mean billet) The stock Manleys with ARP 2000 rod bolts added will hold just fine.

I would either use a Diamond piston or a custom piston if you plan on beating the crap out of it.

Also, use AP stainless rings and a .155 or thicker H13 pin. If you will be launching the car off a two step or dumping the clutch I would suggest using a thicker .180+ wall pin.

Vnmous1_04

InFamous Racing
Established Member
Compression will also help spool the turbos.

You dont need I beams(if you mean billet) The stock Manleys with ARP 2000 rod bolts added will hold just fine.

I would either use a Diamond piston or a custom piston if you plan on beating the crap out of it.

Also, use AP stainless rings and a .155 or thicker H13 pin. If you will be launching the car off a two step or dumping the clutch I would suggest using a thicker .180+ wall pin.

What compression would be suitable say i.e. I obtain a 2.9 Whipple and later end up going to a turbo setup 9.5:1 or 10:1 (E85 fuel)?

I was thinking Diamond pistons and ARP hardware throughout and it won't be manual, it will either have a C4 or a TH400 automatic transmission :rockon:

Ironhand

Banned
What compression would be suitable say i.e. I obtain a 2.9 Whipple and later end up going to a turbo setup 9.5:1 or 10:1 (E85 fuel)?

I was thinking Diamond pistons and ARP hardware throughout and it won't be manual, it will either have a C4 or a TH400 automatic transmission :rockon:

I'd do 10:1 or higher.

Lauching off a brake is still a shock.

Users who are viewing this thread