Engine build part two.

Badaz01

Established Member
Well as some of you may know I recently broke a cam sprocket bolt and bent some valves and that was it. Or… so I thought. Upon tear down we found the top ringland on #5 is broken so here I go again to pretty much a complete rebuild. So at this point I just got an update on the block needing s .020 bore and just a valve job on the driver side head. The machine shop decided on a wiseco-16 cc piston which will put me at about 9.1 compression. Hopefully this one pans out a little better with no mishaps. I’ll keep you guys up to speed as things progress.

Badaz01

Established Member
That's the same piston, armor plated, I'm running in my Marauder.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Nice. I looked them up they use the good forging material I think 2618 I can’t remember anyway it’s supposed to be the strongest aluminum they seem pretty good. I had a flat top Manley in before the high compression was ok but it made me a paranoid freak with fuel quality. Hopefully dropping the compression will make it a little safer.

Badaz01

Established Member
I was looking at putting a timing cover on for a 99 cobra that way I can use a three bolt tensioner. Any of you guys ever do that and what does it take different to do so. Keep in mind I have a d1 sc procharger.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I was looking at putting a timing cover on for a 99 cobra that way I can use a three bolt tensioner. Any of you guys ever do that and what does it take different to do so. Keep in mind I have a d1 sc procharger.
I would definitely do that, POS single bolt bullshit

I’m gonna guess it’s a different blower bracket. I was talking to a local shop about this, he said they also drill out the tensioner mounting bolt holes so they can use larger bolts but don’t believe he said what size. I kick my own ass all the time for not doing it last time the motor was out

Badaz01

Established Member
I would definitely do that, POS single bolt bullshit

I’m gonna guess it’s a different blower bracket. I was talking to a local shop about this, he said they also drill out the tensioner mounting bolt holes so they can use larger bolts but don’t believe he said what size. I kick my own ass all the time for not doing it last time the motor was out
I’m a definitely look into this further. The bracket is definitely different as long as the power steering pump location is the same I don’t see why it won’t work. I tried Google and so far no real straight definitive answers. Did they drill the bolt holes on the three bolt or the single?

Badaz01

Established Member
I was also kicking around the idea of sleeving the engine block. Not sure if that would be necessary for a 600 whp car or just call it a day with the .020 bore ?

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I was also kicking around the idea of sleeving the engine block. Not sure if that would be necessary for a 600 whp car or just call it a day with the .020 bore ?

You will be fine at .02 over and 600hp.

Like stockings by the chimney,
I’m hung.

Badaz01

Established Member
The use larger bolts on the three bolt tensioner
From what I’ve found so far the 99 cover is the same from 96-99 and will bolt right up to my engine. I’ll have to get a procharger bracket for a99 as well as the tensioner of course. That will definitely give me more options for tensioners especially if I want to go 8 rib.

Badaz01

Established Member
Well got some goodies back from the machine shop today. Keepin the ball rolling right along. Anyone know off hand what compression will result from a -13 cc piston dish with 52cc heads by chance?
9EC5B96C-4B86-4ECC-92E2-F9695CEF6494.jpeg
1CCC5883-6427-4BD0-B99B-BFEF00AFA8DB.jpeg
262B074C-0434-439C-A75E-0F51593B78D7.jpeg

52merc

Established Member
I calculate a CR of 9.04:1 using 52.0 cc combustion chamber volume and head gasket bore of 3.622" and compressed thickness of 0.036". With a 0.020" overbore the displacement is 4.65L [283.9 in³]. FYI, the Wiseco catalogue for the K0080X2 (-13 cc) piston shows 8.8:1.

Badaz01

Established Member
I calculate a CR of 9.04:1 using 52.0 cc combustion chamber volume and head gasket bore of 3.622" and compressed thickness of 0.036". With a 0.020" overbore the displacement is 4.65L [283.9 in³]. FYI, the Wiseco catalogue for the K0080X2 (-13 cc) piston shows 8.8:1.
Ok thanks. I better turn up the boost some then. I’m currently running a 10% od crank pulley I may put a 15% on. The 10 with my 4.1 blower pulley has me at 14# of boost now.

Badaz01

Established Member
I think the 8.8 is for the 5.4L compression. These will work in either or.

Badaz01

Established Member
Stoped at my engine builders garage today to order the final parts for my short block and he mentioned maybe putting different cams in. He did mention that I would lose some low end power. He made mention of Todd warren cams. Not sure if I want to do this or not. Do you guys know if a custom cam can be cut by Todd warren to meet in the middle if you will so I don’t completely dog out my bottom end. I’m already sacrificing a little by lowering my set up to 9to1 compression.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Stoped at my engine builders garage today to order the final parts for my short block and he mentioned maybe putting different cams in. He did mention that I would lose some low end power. He made mention of Todd warren cams. Not sure if I want to do this or not. Do you guys know if a custom cam can be cut by Todd warren to meet in the middle if you will so I don’t completely dog out my bottom end. I’m already sacrificing a little by lowering my set up to 9to1 compression.
I'm sure Todd can accommodate whatever goal you have but cams are very expensive and in my opinion, on a boosted application, it's really not worth it.

Badaz01

Established Member
I'm sure Todd can accommodate whatever goal you have but cams are very expensive and in my opinion, on a boosted application, it's really not worth it.
How much power would they add. I’m kinda thinking along the same lines you are. Especially at 1800 dollars.

Users who are viewing this thread