Emissions test

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Any engine/exhaust mods?

Just curious. Does California give you a report of why you failed and give you the time to correct the issues and go back for a re-test? I would assume so. Also, does CA exempt vehicles from testing/failing over a certain age? Probably not, being that your state is the most strict of them all.

MG0h3

Established Member
Ouch. Ca can be tough. Ive seen people say they check for mods under the hood and if it’s not stock, you fail.

I got pulled over in my turbo Fox back in like 2006 and the State Patrol went under the hood and started pointing stuff out. Thought the oil line was nitrous lol. Didn’t even point out the turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

01yellercobra

Established Member
Any engine/exhaust mods?

Just curious. Does California give you a report of why you failed and give you the time to correct the issues and go back for a re-test? I would assume so. Also, does CA exempt vehicles from testing/failing over a certain age? Probably not, being that your state is the most strict of them all.

I think it's 75 and older is exempt now.

OP, you basically need to be stock to pass at this point. Otherwise you'll need to find someone to help you "pass". If you have any option for out of state registration you might want to consider it.

gotjack

Established Member
Any engine/exhaust mods?

I’m in Illinois now. But mods are
Bassani catted x
Borla stingers
Jlt intake
2600 maf
2.3 whipple 18 pounds of boost with id 1050 injectors

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

cobracide

Established Member
Welcome to Cali. NC drops the sniffer test after 20 years. I see longtubes without cats in my future. Can't hear anymore anyways.

01yellercobra

Established Member
How old is your tune? Tuners used to turn off monitors in older tunes and that can cause issues with passing emissions. At least in Cali. The computer knows how many monitors the car is supposed to have. I think our cars have 7 monitors. If it goes looking and only finds 5 monitors then it'll never pass. I can't remember if the Torque app can show the monitors and which are ready and which need to be set.

gotjack

Established Member
How old is your tune? Tuners used to turn off monitors in older tunes and that can cause issues with passing emissions. At least in Cali. The computer knows how many monitors the car is supposed to have. I think our cars have 7 monitors. If it goes looking and only finds 5 monitors then it'll never pass. I can't remember if the Torque app can show the monitors and which are ready and which need to be set.

Just got my whipple and tune installed last year here in Illinois i guess I can just ask my tuner as well

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I'm in IL and have passed emissions tests for almost 20 years with a catless x pipe. I run 02 sims, left my monitors on and it passes no problem. Smells like a lawnmower in the bay but they've never said a word.

Users who are viewing this thread