Electric fan options

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
03BlownSnake said:
Well I installed the Focus fans and so far so good. Although it hans't been hot here yet. One thing I forgot to account for is that ofcourse the Focus fans have 2 motors to power up, lol. I only have the 35amp DCC controller, so I dont know if its suppliying them with enough power to run at "Max" speed. My volt gauge is concerning me a bit. I do have a 130amp alternator though. Im going to have to run an amp test with all my loads on to determine if I need a bigger alternator or not and also if I need to upgrade my fan controller to the 65amp module

Can you provide a pic of the focus fans installed?

stangbear427

Established Member
03BlownSnake said:
So I spent all day today looking for a Autometer "Phantom" series gauge (temperature) and I couldn't find one anywhere. I went all of Las Vegas and no luck. I found Pro-Comps and Lunar series everwhere.. so I said **** it! I bought all new gauges, lol.
You have heard of, like, Summit Racing and stuff, right?

buddha93

Established Member
I know this is a little late, but I thought I'd share anyway.

I run a Spal dual 11" setup and I've had no problems with it on the steet. They are rated at about 2800 cfm and I've had no problems in the summer with the A/C blowing. I also use the DCC controller.

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
stangbear427 said:
You have heard of, like, Summit Racing and stuff, right?

yeah and usually I would of ordered it through Summit, but I had a day off and I felt fixing this right away. plus, all 3 gauges cost me under $250.. so thats nothing. And I got them all installed already, if I would of ordered thru summit, I would still be waiting for them to SHIP them... I am VERY impulsive, I want stuff done quickly :-D

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
LEE93COBRA said:
Can you provide a pic of the focus fans installed?

Ask and you shall recieve... :) Dont mind the dirty engine bay...

P1010547.jpg

P1010545.jpg

P1010544.jpg

P1010543.jpg

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
03BlownSnake said:
yeah I email Brian at Delta Controls about the 3018 fan for my car and we are trying to work something out due to the fact that I wont need another controller since I am running the FK35 already. I think Im just going to try that out, Im tired of worying about my car overheating in summer days and sweating my ass off with no A/C.

Yep, Brian is a VERY cool guy to work with. Oh, and btw everyone, cfm ratings on fans are VERY subjective. Some fan manufacturers inflate their cfm ratings A LOT... :eek:

SRV1

Established Member
I would wrap the whole exhaust under the hood and make a custom spoiler and direct air from underneath the car. Your problem is directing the air and maybe wrapping the exhaust. Have you tried either of those?

James

stangbear427

Established Member
Header tape baby! That's a good idea, actually. You could also try an oil cooler, but it's just another thing to slow down the CFM through the radiator unless you can find another place to mount it.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
An oil cooler is indeed a good idea, especially with the turbos. And you don't have to mount in the normal airflow, a small fan can be mounted on it (won't take much) and it will be good go go.

A friend of mine took before and after temps on his h/c/i 5.0 (in an 82 volvo :eek: ) and noted a 25° drop in engine oil temps.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
You mean there's more than one 82 Volvo/302/T5 combo out there? :lol:

Yep, Michael it is. He used to live about 35 miles away from me in Knoxville. He has since moved to Charlotte NC, but we still chat pretty frequently.

stangbear427

Established Member
Ah... I seemed to remember him living in TN, and having a real nice combo in an old Volvo. One of the few people deep enough to use an oil cooler. Great guy, by my experience- mostly from stangnet and pm's.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Yep, very nice guy, mechanical engineer, very meticulous and helpful when it comes to tech help.

In fact, the magnaflow 3" in/out muffler on my truck I bought from him. :)

I also did a "phantom" window sticker for his volvo, that included the 5.0/T5 "option" available in 1982... :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread