Electric fan options

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
Anyone run anything different then the Taurus fan on their car? I just recently got a dual fan set up off a 03 Focus and thinking about installing them. I currently use the taurus fan, but my car in the summer just cant stand the AC being on at all, it will overheat. So far we had just 1 day of 90 degree weather and I can already tell my temps are going up. Plus now with the turbo under the hood, I can pop the hood and the heat comming up is scary.
Anyone have any other options on what they run on their cars? I have access to any ford fan available. im thinking about maybe the new 05-07 Mustang V6/GT fan. it looks like it will fit, I just really dont know the CFM rating and if it would be good enough for my car.

I already have a Weiland (SP?) water pump, 180 deg t-stat, 3 core aluminum radiator and the Taurus fan with the DCC controller.
I really want to find something that is somewhat "overkill" for a fan, I want to be able to tun my AC here in Vegas... I mean it gets to 110's!!! thats Phucking hot!

Mike93SVT

Savior of Junk
Established Member
i've got the ultimate setup for you. it's on an old thread on turbomustangs. give me a day and i'll find it for ya. trent, the owner. had a stroker dart block making 700 hp and lived in arizona. on 110 days he never got hot.

Mike93SVT

Savior of Junk
Established Member
okay, i finally found the setup i was lookin for. it's not the same thread, but it is the same radiator/fan setup. i almost bought it for my car as well. but money is tight and i couldn't get it yet. but i will within the year. they are expensive, but i've heard nothing but the best of them and the insane hp cars they keep cool in the summer. let me know what you do if it works. good luck!!!

http://www.turbomustangs.com/smf/index.php?topic=62360.0

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
Well in that link it shows the car that they claim "never sees over 160 degrees in the summer" but it just says its running a 3 core brass radiator and modified engine fan and shroud set up. Although the first link goes to a radiator company..
is this what you are talking about?
79-93-Mustang-Radiator-with.jpg

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
It does seem like a very nice set up though. Although its lists the fans pulling only 3420 CFM. Im pretty sure I have read that the Taurus fans pull almost 4000 CFM. I dont know if that would be an upgrade for me

Mike93SVT

Savior of Junk
Established Member
there's that one, also they have one with a custom shroud. and i believe those cfm's are per fan. if i had the original thread you would understand a little more. every guy that replied to it said that they were hands down the best cooling option for the daily driver. just an option.

carguy19

Established Member
03BlownSnake said:
Anyone run anything different then the Taurus fan on their car? I just recently got a dual fan set up off a 03 Focus and thinking about installing them. I currently use the taurus fan, but my car in the summer just cant stand the AC being on at all, it will overheat. So far we had just 1 day of 90 degree weather and I can already tell my temps are going up. Plus now with the turbo under the hood, I can pop the hood and the heat comming up is scary.
Anyone have any other options on what they run on their cars? I have access to any ford fan available. im thinking about maybe the new 05-07 Mustang V6/GT fan. it looks like it will fit, I just really dont know the CFM rating and if it would be good enough for my car.

I already have a Weiland (SP?) water pump, 180 deg t-stat, 3 core aluminum radiator and the Taurus fan with the DCC controller.
I really want to find something that is somewhat "overkill" for a fan, I want to be able to tun my AC here in Vegas... I mean it gets to 110's!!! thats Phucking hot!

Does your fan run continuously when the AC is on????

It doesnt get 110 in NJ only high 90's but all my previous mustangs had no cooling issues with a 180 thermostat, electric fan, and good radiator (we're talking even a car with an 11:1 600 hp motor). I would try and troubleshoot it. I bet something is funky with the thermostat, fan controller or waterpump.

Good luck with it man.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I ran a 3 core aluminum radiator and a Syclone series 16 inch fan and my car with the a/c on wouldn't hit above 180 with the a/c. Even the one time I got stuck on I-10 in LA for 4 hours ideling.

I got the rad from summit (their brand) and the fan was like 160. I had it hardwired to run KOPO.

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
carguy19 said:
Does your fan run continuously when the AC is on????

It doesnt get 110 in NJ only high 90's but all my previous mustangs had no cooling issues with a 180 thermostat, electric fan, and good radiator (we're talking even a car with an 11:1 600 hp motor). I would try and troubleshoot it. I bet something is funky with the thermostat, fan controller or waterpump.

Good luck with it man.

Yes it does run with the AC on and basically stays on high speed the whole time. I have tried 3 radiators now. 2 different water pumps (both alot higher flowing then stock) and 4 different T-stats (with different temp ratings) And the controller works perfect.
I think the fan is just not pulling enough air and my engine comparment is just holding to much heat under the hood. Only reason I dont want to buy a cowl hood is cause I would have to paint it to match and then that would mean having new paint on the hood and the whole car would be "worn" out stock paint. I hate that idea. But I might have to do it to remove some heat. Ofcourse the turbo heat under hood doesn't help, lol

So now it leaves me to completely over do the cooling system, I really want to over-do it so it stays cool even in 120 degree weather if possible.
So I need ideas...
I email'd that company to see how much they sell their unit for and now Im waiting for their reply and some specs on how it will perform on my car if possible.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
intercooler is blocking your airflow with the taurus fan. I had the same problem with my D-1 and 3 core intercooler I used to have on my car. I am sure the Ron Davis stuff is pricey but it should work..

I also have a twin set of fans off our SVT focus that I had planned on using but I went back n/a for the time being and ditched the taurus fan/dcc controller for my stock belt driven setup.

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
My intercooler is mounted way lower then what the instructions wanted me to mounted. Im sure it doesnt help, but I already had this problem before the turbo/intercooler set up. So I am not blamming the turbo on this

stangbear427

Established Member
Every article I've read and every radiator complany I've talked to (which is many) have said that on a street car a three row radiator will run hotter than a two row, whether it's brass or aluminum. Particularly if there's something in front of it, like a AC condenser or intercooler, the fan has to work exponentially harder to pull air through a three row, and the inside row radiates into the outside rows which is counter productive anyway. The only time a three row will work better is over 100mph, at which point the fan isn't even doing anything. I'd step down to an aluminum two row, and don't skimp. I had major quality issues with my Ron Davis, but even with a crappy belt driven flex fan and 100+ degree days my 260K GT never went over 200 with my Fluidyne and Victor pump. BeCool also has some excellent high HP offerings, but pricey.

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
stangbear427 said:
Every article I've read and every radiator complany I've talked to (which is many) have said that on a street car a three row radiator will run hotter than a two row, whether it's brass or aluminum. Particularly if there's something in front of it, like a AC condenser or intercooler, the fan has to work exponentially harder to pull air through a three row, and the inside row radiates into the outside rows which is counter productive anyway. The only time a three row will work better is over 100mph, at which point the fan isn't even doing anything. I'd step down to an aluminum two row, and don't skimp. I had major quality issues with my Ron Davis, but even with a crappy belt driven flex fan and 100+ degree days my 260K GT never went over 200 with my Fluidyne and Victor pump. BeCool also has some excellent high HP offerings, but pricey.

I dont have a 3 row radiator, I confused myself. Its actually 3 inches wide. But its an aluminum 2 core, each core is an inch wide.

stangbear427

Established Member
Hmm... back to the drawing board then. Have you tried water-wetter? It couldn't be a timing/tune issue could it? My wife's timing was off a few degrees once, and she was running @40 degrees hot. I assume in a turbo application the tune would be especially critical...?

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
03BlownSnake said:
My intercooler is mounted way lower then what the instructions wanted me to mounted. Im sure it doesnt help, but I already had this problem before the turbo/intercooler set up. So I am not blamming the turbo on this

interesting. I never had a problem at all with my car's temps until I ran a FMIC for a year and a half.

If this was a problem before, then there is something amiss..

What was your setup before the turbo and did it change (the combo) when your turbo went on?

stangbear427

Established Member
Heh! That's usually my first question- I must be slipping. Driving a completely stock car for the last six months has addled my wits!

Users who are viewing this thread