Electric fan options

tommygun

Established Member
LEE93COBRA said:
Do you have a 'real' gauge to show what temps you are seeing?

I was about to add something similar... the stock gauge is wacko and using a quality gauge and sensor will help. My 94's stock gauge was almost pegged but only showed 198deg on the MS computer and the autometer was showing 190

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
No I don't have an aftermarket gauge.. Im just going off the stock one. Maybe I should invest in one. But I mean I am pegging the gauge completely, so ofcourse it scares the crap out of running that hot.

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
LEE93COBRA said:
interesting. I never had a problem at all with my car's temps until I ran a FMIC for a year and a half.

If this was a problem before, then there is something amiss..

What was your setup before the turbo and did it change (the combo) when your turbo went on?

And to answer this question... my coolant system never changed after the turbo went on or before I had the supercharger set up.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
yeah if you are pegging the gauge and its spitting coolant out then there is a problem. (if you are pegging the gauge you should be losing a lot of coolant out the overflow)

What head gaskets are you running? And what is your timing set to

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
I dont want to piss on your parade but my 93 with the a/c on and a 180 thermostat and the OEM fan with a good working fan clutch works fine on my ride.

The radiator is also a OEM 2 row and still no problems.

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
BADBOYSPACK said:
I dont want to piss on your parade but my 93 with the a/c on and a 180 thermostat and the OEM fan with a good working fan clutch works fine on my ride.

The radiator is also a OEM 2 row and still no problems.

So what are you trying to say? Does your car put out similar power to my car and stay cool? Im sure this car in stock trim has no problem staying cool, but my car is no where near being stock...

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
03BlownSnake said:
So what are you trying to say? Does your car put out similar power to my car and stay cool? Im sure this car in stock trim has no problem staying cool, but my car is no where near being stock...

+1..

I still think there is something off somewhere 03blown. While the 1011's are good head gaskets they are not very boost friendly..

Is it safe fro me to assume that you are running a dished piston in your 331 and the boost is low (under 10psi)

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
LEE93COBRA said:
+1..

I still think there is something off somewhere 03blown. While the 1011's are good head gaskets they are not very boost friendly..

Is it safe fro me to assume that you are running a dished piston in your 331 and the boost is low (under 10psi)

I am running a dished piston (SRP). My compression ratio is 8.8:1. I had it calculated (thickness of headgasket, deck height, bore/stroke, etc.. )
Back when I was running my powerdyne, the boost was low, I mean, it was 9 PSI max, on cool days, lol. Now with the turbo it has seen 14 PSI.

See the reason I know the engine has to running fine, mechanical wise, is that during cool winter days, when the temp reaches 80 or so degrees max, I can drive the car as agressive and live under boost, it never overheats, soon as temps get hotter outside, and the AC has to be turned on, it will run hot.
I guess I definately need to buy an aftermarket gauge to make absolutely sure what my temps are, but like I said, my temp gauge will peg upwards near the 270 mark. And to answer a question asked earlier, I have tried Watter Wetter too.

I just got a Focus dual fan set up from a friend this last week, I might try it out, hell, maybe my Taurus fan just cant keep up with the temps, I just dont know if these Focus fans are any better or flow more air...

stangbear427

Established Member
You need to find out how hot it really is before you do anything. If it's running at 270 there would be other problems, that's way too hot. Mr.Gasket makes a radiator cap with a temp gauge on it for under $30, I'd get one of them if you aren't ready to mount up an Autometer yet- it's a (cheap) surefire way to know how hot your coolant is and keep tabs on it easily.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
03BlownSnake said:
I am running a dished piston (SRP). My compression ratio is 8.8:1. I had it calculated (thickness of headgasket, deck height, bore/stroke, etc.. )
Back when I was running my powerdyne, the boost was low, I mean, it was 9 PSI max, on cool days, lol. Now with the turbo it has seen 14 PSI.

See the reason I know the engine has to running fine, mechanical wise, is that during cool winter days, when the temp reaches 80 or so degrees max, I can drive the car as agressive and live under boost, it never overheats, soon as temps get hotter outside, and the AC has to be turned on, it will run hot.
I guess I definately need to buy an aftermarket gauge to make absolutely sure what my temps are, but like I said, my temp gauge will peg upwards near the 270 mark. And to answer a question asked earlier, I have tried Watter Wetter too.

I just got a Focus dual fan set up from a friend this last week, I might try it out, hell, maybe my Taurus fan just cant keep up with the temps, I just dont know if these Focus fans are any better or flow more air...

I guess it could be possible that the taurus fan is on its way out. Let me know how the focus fans do. I have some from when my wife's Foci got wrecked last year. There is nothing wrong with them but the body shop replaced with new and let me keep them :pepper:

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
Well I installed the Focus fans and so far so good. Although it hans't been hot here yet. One thing I forgot to account for is that ofcourse the Focus fans have 2 motors to power up, lol. I only have the 35amp DCC controller, so I dont know if its suppliying them with enough power to run at "Max" speed. My volt gauge is concerning me a bit. I do have a 130amp alternator though. Im going to have to run an amp test with all my loads on to determine if I need a bigger alternator or not and also if I need to upgrade my fan controller to the 65amp module

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Your controller should be enough to run the fans. My DCC handles my Lincoln MkVIII fan just fine, and I believe it pulls more more than the focus fans. I'll be shocked if you have to upgrade to the 65 amp version, as that one is usually reserved for those that run both an electric fan and an electric waterpump at the same time off the same controller.

One thing you didn't mention in this all this. When specifically does it overheat? Does it overheat at all times, even going down the road with normal driving at 40+ mph?

Or does it overheat when the speeds drop below 35mph or so?

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
It only overheats in stop/go traffic. I know its got to be an air problem, Im just not pulling enough. Once the car gets hot, above 3/4 of the gauge and I have to merge into the freeway, the temps go down. Usually only happends with the A/C on too. If its off, its ok. And yes I have had my A/C system checked for proper low/high side pressures and all that good stuff.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Yep, definitely an airflow issue. I'm not familiar with the focus fans and their capacities. If the focus doesn't work, time to step up to a mk8 or mn12 fan. They are an 18" fan vs. the 16" taurus fan. Almost as powerful as the mk 8 but better fitment.

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
yeah I email Brian at Delta Controls about the 3018 fan for my car and we are trying to work something out due to the fact that I wont need another controller since I am running the FK35 already. I think Im just going to try that out, Im tired of worying about my car overheating in summer days and sweating my ass off with no A/C.

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
stangbear427 said:
The obvious solution is to sell me your turbos and forget about it.

lol.. ok. But I wont have that cool "psssssshhhh" noise anymore :p

Regarding the Mr Gasket radiator cap... I already had one. The probe on the cap to get a reading is very short and wont get a reading on coolant temp unless the coolant os basically overflowing and touching the cap constantly. Cause I really doubt my car runs under 170 all the time, thats what it read most of the time. I think I saw a 185'ish before, but thats it. Anyone else played with that cap before and maybe adapted something so the probe is longer to get a better reading? I was thinking of making something for it

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
So I spent all day today looking for a Autometer "Phantom" series gauge (temperature) and I couldn't find one anywhere. I went all of Las Vegas and no luck. I found Pro-Comps and Lunar series everwhere.. so I said **** it! I bought all new gauges, lol. New boost gauge, temp gauge and fuel gauge, being that the speed ship had them all in stock. I went with the Ultra Lite Carbon Fiber style. They look pretty damn good. Although they dont match my instrument cluster gauges, which are white faced, but they look bad ass no less.
I should be able to get an accurate temp reading now and make sure my car is running hot. Brian from Delta Controls is making a fan for me, so I hope all is taken care off soon enough for this hot ass summer approaching.
Thanks for all the help though guys, I'll keep you guys updated on my progress

Users who are viewing this thread