Ecoboost Troubles

01yellercobra

Established Member
My daughter is looking at picking up a 2019 Mustang as an upgrade from her current 2003 V6. It's the 2.3 with a 10 speed auto. I think it has 31k miles on it. I vaguely remember the early engines needed some kind of PCV update othewise they would use a ton of oil. Or something like that. I'm assuming that was fixed by 2019. Is there anything else I need to keep an eye out for?

Yes, she'd rather have a V8. But she's 20 and doesn't have the budget for one just yet.

01yellercobra

Established Member
The PCV thing was something I read on another forum years ago. I only half paid attention to it as I never thought there would be one in my household.

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
What you are thinking of is an upgrade breather plate and catch can kit for the mustang version 2.3L.

I believe the mustang version breather plate is discontinued now.

There’s a Mountune breather plate for the RS/ST but unsure if it will work on the mustang version block.

I’m planning on ordering a Mountune breather plate for my Ranger and crossing my fingers it bolts right up.
I immediately install a Mishimoto catch can kit on my Ranger’s very first oil change.
Definitely install an oil catch can kit; during the cold days and winter, I seem to have to drain the cup on a weekly basis on my Ranger.

On my Focus RS, I have both the Mountune breather plate and Radium Engineering oil catch kit.
I’ve literally drained a bit more than a teaspoon of oily fluid from the cup so far this year.

oneof185

Established Member
My daughter has 15', original owner and has had zero oil consumption. I do all the changes etc on it. Granted it only has 17,000 miles on it but it has never used any oil at all.

01yellercobra

Established Member
It'll definitely get a catch can as soon as it's parked at the house.

Maybe it also depends on how it was driven. I know the guys that had the issues tended to be hard on their cars.

01yellercobra

Established Member
She picked it up last weekend. It's a pretty nice car. She's extremely happy with it. The back windows are tinted already. She'll get the side windows done to match soon. It has an exhaust shop muffler delete on it, but doesn't sound too bad. And the catch can is on the way.

Attachments

• 20230729_120955.jpg
    20230729_120955.jpg
    397.5 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
She picked it up last weekend. It's a pretty nice car. She's extremely happy with it. The back windows are tinted already. She'll get the side windows done to match soon. It has an exhaust shop muffler delete on it, but doesn't sound too bad. And the catch is on the way.

It's the right color too Bob!!!! Tell her congratulations!!!

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I had a catch can and aftermarket intercooler on mine. The stock intercooler is crap and heat soaks immediately.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
looks about like what the ex had, it was a fun little car.

if you do wanna replace the intercooler CVFAB has a discount code for F150forum, I think it was 10%, free shipping and no sales tax. Mine showed up with some cosmetic issues and they took off another 20% (im assuming theyd also make one for that). For just DD stuff probably doesnt matter

01yellercobra

Established Member
It's the right color too Bob!!!! Tell her congratulations!!!
Thanks Glenn. I'll pass it on. I think she's going to show at MBTB too.
Not bad at all. Steep driveway you have.

That's just the angle of the pic. I was sitting in another car when I snapped it really quick. It's pretty flat.

I'll let her know about the intercooler. I've thought about mentioning it, but she's still just enjoying it as is. She's coming from a bone stock V6 auto to this. She's amazed that when she presses the gas the car actually goes and doesn't just think about it.

Pic attached with a bit better perspective. And because I like the pic of my truck hooked up.

Attachments

• 20220719_172708.jpg
    20220719_172708.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 48

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Definitely do a catch can. Our 2.7 Ecoboost Edge will fill that catch can quick. Those direct injection engines without the added injectors to wash the valves off will definitely coke up.

...and my oil pan came in. I get to fix the notorious 2.7 oil pan leak!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
What's been leaking in your driveway?

The fact of the matter is 4cyl or not, it (I imagine) has plenty of power. It's not like the early 2.3.

01yellercobra

Established Member
What's been leaking in your driveway?

The fact of the matter is 4cyl or not, it (I imagine) has plenty of power. It's not like the early 2.3.
Funny enough, that's from her old car. We thought it was a bad main seal, but turned out to be another loose Motorcraft filter. Though I'm sure it was leaking in other places as well.

It does for her. She didn't inherit the "gotta go as fast as possible" gene from me like my son did. We might do a couple things to it, but for the most part she's good with it as is.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Definitely do a catch can. Our 2.7 Ecoboost Edge will fill that catch can quick. Those direct injection engines without the added injectors to wash the valves off will definitely coke up.

...and my oil pan came in. I get to fix the notorious 2.7 oil pan leak!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
What year is your Edge?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread