Ecoboost cam phaser rattle experts, step inside...

ArabianOak

Established Member
Wifes 2018 navigator started having the phaser rattle issue at startup a few months ago...took it in right away and ford has ordered a bunch of parts to fix it but they are of course on back order.

Told us to drive the car and not to worry...but then the rattle noise started happening almost all the time and then the check engine light came on. So we drove it in and they are now keeping the car.

Not concerned about it since we have tons of warranty left on it...curious if anyone knows if there is a real fix to this...many people say there is no fix and it only lasts 20-30k until they fail again. We will be out of warranty if that happens.

Anyone know when these parts won't be on backorder? I know some of you are service guys and might know the answer to this...thanks in advance.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
My understanding is that there is no official fix, but my techs say you have to change the oil at shorter intervals, like 3k miles, and probably want to do some oil flushes more often to ensure passageways stay clear of sludge and debris. I have a couple customers who have followed this routine from the start and they have over 100k with no issues.

Blackoyote

Established Member
From all of my research there is only the bandaid of replacing, it will happen again. I just got my truck back after Ford had it for over a month, got cam phasers done, trans rebuilt, and some work done on the pano sunroof. Glad I paid extra for that extended Ford Warranty!

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
I was under the impression that the new part numbers used in production and for repair after late 2019 were a permanent fix, as long so you got the updated parts that is. This many years later I doubt you would end up with the old part numbers for the cam phaser repair. I had mine done at ~19k in October of 21 and currently been issue free ever since (drivetrain wise), currently at ~38k. Not only did it fix my start up rattle but also the random codes and oil consumption I was having. I believe all the particulars are covered in the attached document from FOMOCO.

Attachments

• MC-10199482-0001.pdf
    492 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I would use something on the OBD2 port to monitor your coolant temps before and after the repair - I've seen F150 guys bitching about high coolant temps afterwards. I can't remember if they ended up replacing the thermostat or what (Seems with a little age on em opening up the cooling system can cause an issue with the thermostat).

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I've read about the new parts/tune that may of fixed it or maybe it kicked the can further down the road.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
You mean to tell us Mrs Oak doesn’t go through vehicles like you do? I’m surprised it was not traded in the first time it got low on fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bruh he gets a new vehicle every 5 weeks, and she cant even get one every 5 years

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah see **** that then.

My pops had his done on his 19 about 4 mo this ago, was at the dealer 2-3 months i think?
Yikes, thats on the service dept IMO. Mine took a week and has been great ever since, I bet they didnt have the parts on hand before he brought his truck in.

I still dont go past 5k between oil changes though, never had anything to do with cam phaser issues. I suppose I could send out a sample to Blackstone but 5k miles is just an easy number to track on my odometer and matches up with rotating tires.

Zemedici

Established Member
Yikes, thats on the service dept IMO. Mine took a week and has been great ever since, I bet they didnt have the parts on hand before he brought his truck in.

I still dont go past 5k between oil changes though, never had anything to do with cam phaser issues. I suppose I could send out a sample to Blackstone but 5k miles is just an easy number to track on my odometer and matches up with rotating tires.

1000%, brought truck in and then waited on half the parts. Smalltown dealer so it’s always a ****ing circus

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Worst part of it, it still an issue on the rest of the V6 Ecoboost engines. The "newer" 3.0TT V6 share that issue, seems like its less common but still there.

Morgan

Established Member
Is my '19 Explorer Sport w/3.5L EB subject to same issue?
Yes.

I use remote start routinely so that I don’t hear the noise. It may or may not do it- I’m willfully ignorant.

My understanding is that noisy phasers aren’t going to result in a trashed motor. Just an annoying sound at start-up.

Users who are viewing this thread